Falcons cut DE John Abraham

Treefiddy

Reaction score
I know he's older but he had 10.5 sacks last year. Do we chase him?

Brahn

Reaction score
Any player willing to come in on a 1 year contract and could improve the pass rush is worth the look. We need people who can apply the pressure now. We can draft rotation guys who can step in in a year. So yes, if John could help our pass rush and would come in on a 1 year contact i would be all for it.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
He could make a hell of a Raheem Brock, or part of a rotation to keep in fresh pass rushers. Give him a look...

McG

Reaction score
Maybe about 4-5 years ago when we were trying to sign him, now not so much. 1-2yr Deal max at 5mil is all that I would spend, but someone will over pay for him and he will do nothing and his body will break down. Let someone else waste their cap space, if it's an old DE bring in Freeney. That would be a great guy to teach Irvin how to be an all pro DE.

Rat

Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to it. Surprisingly, Abraham has become more durable as he has gotten older (only missed two games in the past 6 seasons), and is still productive (has averaged 11 sacks a year over the past three seasons). Giving him a 1-2 year deal won't hurt our cap situation any.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
A bargain-level one year deal is fine. Anything else = no go.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Unlike Freeney and Osi, this guy has not slowed down. If he would take a one year deal I'd do it.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":2f7rxy52 said:
http://www.nfl.com/player/johnabraham/2504171/careerstats

look at his stats the past few years.....uh YEAH we bring him in. He was a cap casualty in Atlanta. Bring him in. I don't care the age, 1-3 year contract. 7 Passes defended last year. 10 sacks...on the decline? nope? this team needs SOME veteran leadership!

Definitely. I bet he's royally pissed right now but for him, it could be turned into a blessing in disguise. I'm sure he wants to win a championship and has been fed the lines in ATL about them building a winner. Well they don't have a championship caliber team without some major upgrades to that defense.

Simply ask him how badly he wants to win a championship, we could get him at a discount over say...a team with money to throw around that isn't going anywhere for a couple years. It would definitely suck to see him end up with another contender in the NFC.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Didn't he shaft the Seahawks once already? I believe the Seahawks were trying to sign him but he decided to go to Atlanta instead. You'd think that the Falcons would keep him if they thought he still was productive. They don't have that great of pass rush either. My preferences are Dwight Freeney or Osi U. Abraham wouldn't be a bad option if those choices fell through.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind here in regard to how all the dominoes could fall here. Osi Umenyiora has his offseason home in Atlanta. I would say that would be a very likely destination for him. So, if the Hawks are looking to go the FA route with an established pass rushing DE and wanting to go on the cheaper side ... it could basically be down to Dwight Freeney and John Abraham. Just throwing that out there.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
I guess it comes down to what those guys want to get out of the last 2 or 3 years of their careers. Do they really need the money for their nest egg, or do they have enough millions of dollars that they can take a smaller pay day and trade that for a chance to win a couple championships?

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Treefiddy":3463m6tc said:
Apparently on his way here for a visit

Ya and then stopping by in San Fran too. Wonder which of our teams is the one trying to raise the cost of the other LOL.

drdiags

Reaction score
NinerLifer":o8hix35k said:
Treefiddy":o8hix35k said:
Apparently on his way here for a visit

Ya and then stopping by in San Fran too. Wonder which of our teams is the one trying to raise the cost of the other LOL.

Same thing with Cullen Jenkins. Probably his agent just being economical and knocking out two visits with one West coast swing.

Latest posts