Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Niners Are Ahead In The Arms Race.
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

I want to start off by saying while I don't agree with every one of your members I really enjoy getting insight from your board members, this is a very exciting time for us fans getting to see teams literally get FA to counter a certain team like what sea and sf are doing! I am a Carroll fan from USC days being a California native, I enjoy his enthusiasm. I have gone to every niners sea hawk game for 5 years now in SF love the rivalry which is created by us fans and the media feeds off of us a its awesome being in the national scene instead of steelers, pats , giants aagghhh I think we have surpassed them.. I do find the strategy of niners being different than seahawks, niners almost do moneyball style have you noticed older first round picks trying to get their old college skills back that got them to the NFL.. Seahawks are front runners for the SB I have to think losing the SB makes it tough the next year.. we will see

Post subject: Re: The Niners Have Fallen Behind In The Arms Race.
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:39 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *

Michael Bennett to Seattle.

John Schneider, you have answered my question.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:49 pm 
NET Starter

This reminds me of the type of threads the Eagle Fans used to create for the past 2 years :3-1:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:51 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *

Ninerguy wrote:
This reminds me of the type of threads the Eagle Fans used to create for the past 2 years :3-1:

Hahahaha. Sure thing. Get the most of that meme while you can cuz once the season begins it will die a fast death.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:52 pm 
NET Veteran

Ninerguy wrote:

Right because we're not adding complimentary/depth pieces, we're counting on free agents to be our cornerstones, and our qb just got out of prison and has been out of football. How did I not see the connection before?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:54 pm 
NET Veteran

Ninerguy wrote:

How? We've signed 2 of the best DEs on the market to reasonable deals after the market cooled and made one trade for a young elite talent at wideout. The Eagles were straight up handing out big contracts to risky big names and pieces that didn't fit.

I get you're trying to poo poo on our parade, but it's stupid.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 pm 
NET Starter

pinksheets wrote:

I get you're trying to poo poo on our parade, but it's stupid.

Incorrect, I get the excitement at signing a bunch of FAs.
But FA signings do not mean all those players will work out well, history of the NFL proves that out. Thats why it is such a surprise the JS would go away from what he preaches which was VALUE your draft picks and build through the draft!!!

I think he sees a window here before you have to pay or lose many young players and they are swinging for the fences. Not a crazy move but somewhat surprising. I think the Hawks are a very good team as I think the Niners are a very good team...but regardless of all the FA signings for either club it will come down to play on the field and coaching. I like our chances just as much as you like yours.
Fair?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:14 pm 
NET Veteran

Schneider has worked free agency every year. What about signing both Rice and Miller in quick succession? This organization does prefer to build through the draft, but you act as if that means they will never trade picks or ever go hard in FA, which was proven false before you even got the idea.

Valuing your picks does not = overvaluing them. Percy Harvin is worth more than the draft capital given up, period. Not to mention the Seahawks still have a ton of picks on top of a ton of depth that will make it extremely hard for rookies to make the roster.

You want to write the narrative that this is anything like what the Eagles did, when it isn't, not even remotely.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:16 pm 
NET Veteran

Ninerguy wrote:
But FA signings do not mean all those players will work out well, history of the NFL proves that out. Thats why it is such a surprise the JS would go away from what he preaches which was VALUE your draft picks and build through the draft!!!

I think he sees a window here before you have to pay or lose many young players and they are swinging for the fences. Not a crazy move but somewhat surprising. I think the Hawks are a very good team as I think the Niners are a very good team...but regardless of all the FA signings for either club it will come down to play on the field and coaching. I like our chances just as much as you like yours.
Fair?

I tried reading this but all I kept seeing was, "PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC"

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm 
NET Starter

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
Ninerguy wrote:

Fair?

I tried reading this but all I kept seeing was, "PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC"

lol, then you missed the point English.
SHEETS...My original point was that in signing a bunch of FAs does not guarantee success. It can definitely help but it is not a slam dunk in any way. Hawks are very good, I say that, they were good last season. But if we all know anything is that one years success does NOT guarantee success the next season. So its said, I thought the Eagles were going to be VERY good the past 2 seasons, I was wrong.

BTW, I know you will all flame out on this but I do not think that a 1st,3rd and 7th round pick for a guy that averages 800 yds and 5 TDs a yr as a WR is great value. Just my opinion and let the hate begin but those are marginal numbers at best. You can add in the return game but the Hawks already had one of the best return man in the NFL in Leon Washington. I havent even addressed the injury history of Harvin or his attitude. Trading for Harvin is a high risk high reward proposition is it not? If he hits it out of the park than its a high reward, if he has 800 yards and 5 tds this next season than are you happy with that as compensation?
the 1st and 3rd rounders are serious draft picks and most likely players who actually make your team, the 7th means nothing.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm 
NET Veteran

At best the 49ers the same as last year, perhaps a bit older. I don't see much impact of any rookies...where would they play ? These guys we have now make our defense ,in my humble and biased option better, at least on paper

DL - Seahawks
LB Niners
DB Seahawks

One of the reasons the Niners in the glory days did well was free agents such as Fred Dean and Dion. That helped them over the hump like we did

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:39 pm 
NET Veteran

But that's where you're being either intentionally or unintentionally moronic. Judging Percy by stats alone doesn't work for a couple of reasons: he has had terrible QB play every year but his rookie season and a huge part of his benefit is that he's so explosive and versatile that his presence on the field opens up a ton of options for other players.

If you put Percy in this draft class, he'd be the 1st WR off the board, easily, and he'd go far higher than the 20th pick, which is what those picks would get you.

And yeah, not all FAs work out, but they can, and that's why 9er fans are scared. If these signings do work out (and so far the vast majority of Pete and John's decisions have) our team is going to be terrifying. The amount of improvement over last year will outpace the 49ers and their moves by a large margin at this point. We'll see how the draft goes.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:40 pm 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *

Ninerguy wrote:
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
Ninerguy wrote:

Fair?

SHEETS...My original point was that in signing a bunch of FAs does not guarantee success. It can definitely help but it is not a slam dunk in any way. Hawks are very good, I say that, they were good last season. But if we all know anything is that one years success does NOT guarantee success the next season. So its said, I thought the Eagles were going to be VERY good the past 2 seasons, I was wrong.

BTW, I know you will all flame out on this but I do not think that a 1st,3rd and 7th round pick for a guy that averages 800 yds and 5 TDs a yr as a WR is great value. Just my opinion and let the hate begin but those are marginal numbers at best. You can add in the return game but the Hawks already had one of the best return man in the NFL in Leon Washington. I havent even addressed the injury history of Harvin or his attitude. Trading for Harvin is a high risk high reward proposition is it not? If he hits it out of the park than its a high reward, if he has 800 yards and 5 tds this next season than are you happy with that as compensation?
the 1st and 3rd rounders are serious draft picks and most likely players who actually make your team, the 7th means nothing.

to look at Harvin's numbers and judge that as his only impact on the game is stupid and simplistic at best.

I honestly hope we dont need to explain to you how Harvins presence on this team makes everyone else more dangerous as well? Perhaps we do.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:44 pm 
NET Veteran

As far as Percy's numbers go they don't equate to his value. He's a field stretcher, he can line up anywhere and he can spell your HB. I agree with you on the KR/PR thing, i thought we should have kept leon, I don't want to put that risk on a 10m a year player. BUT, Percy is a top 10 receiver, he's always been on running teams and he will be here so his stats aren't going to be Calvin Johnson, JJ level. We aren't going to need that from him with nearly 2k yards rushing and 2 other 700+ yard receivers.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:51 pm 
NET Starter

Tech Worlds wrote:
to look at Harvin's numbers and judge that as his only impact on the game is stupid and simplistic at best.

I honestly hope we dont need to explain to you how Harvins presence on this team makes everyone else more dangerous as well? Perhaps we do.

Nah, you dont, I get that point and it is valid. Just like Vernon Davis makes everyone else better since teams have to account for his speed from the TE position correct.
Numbers dont lie though, you are what you are just like win loss records.

why do you guys have to call names? Moronic, stupid....just an NFL fan and I happen to live near a team I USED to like(Hawks) and attend games until they got dropped into my teams(NINERS) conference so now its all about hate :th2thumbs:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:52 pm 
NET Veteran

So numbers ultimately tell the story then?

So 42-13 right? You can't have it both ways.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:57 pm 
NET Starter

pinksheets wrote:

yes, you won a football game last season, one of 17 games over 4 1/2 months, congratulations. Im surprised it took you that long to beat that dead horse. Again, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 pm 
NET Veteran

Ninerguy wrote:
pinksheets wrote:

yes, you won a football game last season, one of 17 games over 4 1/2 months, congratulations. Im surprised it took you that long to beat that dead horse. Again, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

You're the one making statistics the be all end all, I'm not. Numbers tell part of the story, but not all of it. You want to boil Harvin down to his numbers, not what you see on the field, not what he forces opposing defense to do. It's a blatantly self-serving argument that doesn't carry any weight.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:09 pm 
NET Veteran

obviously the main thing is that percy harvin owns in madden.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:19 pm 
NET Veteran

Ninerguy wrote:

So, you think the Hawks drafted him as a receiver and nothing else. Tell me how many backs would have taken carries from possibly the greatest RB in NFL history in Adrian Peterson?

If he was JUST A SLOT RECEIVER he wouldn't be on our team.

1) He allows us to protect ourselves against Lynch getting hurt or suspended (and yes, he could receive a suspension if he's convicted in his DUI case) or just plain getting old and tiring out as he approaches 30.

2) Leon took up a space on our roster that needed to be filled by a 3rd down back that can actually make a difference, Lynch had the highest carries total of his career this year in part because Washington was ineffective in our offense.

3) and yes he can play receiver, and no he wont ever get a 1000 yard season with the Hawks. Russell Wilson isn't Kaepernick, and Harvin isn't gonna be Crabtree and over targeted. We have weapons besides him, and the ball will be spread around.

4) He's reuniting with his rookie Offensive Coordinator, Sidney Rice, and finally will have a capable QB that isn't Favre on the decline and a nothing like Ponder.

So, keep on thinking were going to be lining him up in the slot 100% of his snaps and pinning our hopes on his receiving skills if it helps you sleep at night.

Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:15 am 
NET Rookie

Counting Harvin as a reliable RB in any form is laughable. I hope they run him, then he will have one of his 6 games played seasons.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 pm 
NET Veteran

Man the 9ers fans are super jealous that we got Harvin and they didn't.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:33 pm 
NET Rookie

Super jealous is an understatement. People will say dumb things when they're jealous/scared. None of it will matter when Harvin is torching them for years to come

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:28 pm 
NET Veteran

Wilson to Harvin, THANK YOU.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:24 pm 
NET Starter

Ninerguy wrote:
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
Ninerguy wrote:

Fair?

:13:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:23 pm 
NET Practice Squad

This whole argument is kind of silly so early into FA.

Both teams so far have done well with a few surprises. Here is how I have things pegged at this point, taking into account that there is still a lot of FA to go and the draft.

Seahawks:
Percy Harvin gain, 1st 3rd 7th and big contract loss: Very nice fit for Seattle and should compliment Wilson well in the offense. The lost draft picks could hurt but is in line for a player of Harvin's skill. The contract is a big one and for Seattle fans hopefully wont hinder future resigns. I think the injury bug will magically disappear now that he has been paid.
Avril and Bennet gain: Both players have been way overhyped by the media and the contracts show it. That being said, the contracts are very smart and are short for the purposes of resigning recent draft picks like Wilson. Good pickup overall

Niners:
KC 2nd KCconditional2nd/3rd gain, Alex Smith loss: Baalke should be president for pulling of this trade considering where Alex was so short ago.
Boldin gain, 6th loss: He's an old guy but owned in the playoffs. I don't think he can play at that level all season but hopefully he is better suited than Moss to handle the Kap fastball and will bring it in the next playoffs. I think they are paying him too much at 6mil but the compensation for him was peanuts.
Glen Dorsey gain: Could possibly give them more flexibility in rotations but we won't really know his ultimate roll until after the draft. I think Tomsula should be able to get him to perform better than in KC where he was severely misused.

The draft is the niners ace in the hole right now. With an unheard of 14 picks, and not all junk ones, the niners have some leverage to make moves and will hopefully make it interesting. Either way, it has been a long time since this rivalry was exciting and it feels good to have other divisions pissing there pants about having to face the NFC west these days.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:30 am 
* NET Curmudgeon *
* NET Curmudgeon *

4freakin9 wrote:

This is it in a nutshell.

Actually, this thread would have the potential to be entertaining and enlightening if there wasn't so much "My-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad" in it.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:33 am 
NET Veteran

4freakin9 wrote:

Both teams so far have done well with a few surprises. Here is how I have things pegged at this point, taking into account that there is still a lot of FA to go and the draft.

Seahawks:
Percy Harvin gain, 1st 3rd 7th and big contract loss: Very nice fit for Seattle and should compliment Wilson well in the offense. The lost draft picks could hurt but is in line for a player of Harvin's skill. The contract is a big one and for Seattle fans hopefully wont hinder future resigns. I think the injury bug will magically disappear now that he has been paid.
Avril and Bennet gain: Both players have been way overhyped by the media and the contracts show it. That being said, the contracts are very smart and are short for the purposes of resigning recent draft picks like Wilson. Good pickup overall

Niners:
KC 2nd KCconditional2nd/3rd gain, Alex Smith loss: Baalke should be president for pulling of this trade considering where Alex was so short ago.
Boldin gain, 6th loss: He's an old guy but owned in the playoffs. I don't think he can play at that level all season but hopefully he is better suited than Moss to handle the Kap fastball and will bring it in the next playoffs. I think they are paying him too much at 6mil but the compensation for him was peanuts.
Glen Dorsey gain: Could possibly give them more flexibility in rotations but we won't really know his ultimate roll until after the draft. I think Tomsula should be able to get him to perform better than in KC where he was severely misused.

The draft is the niners ace in the hole right now. With an unheard of 14 picks, and not all junk ones, the niners have some leverage to make moves and will hopefully make it interesting. Either way, it has been a long time since this rivalry was exciting and it feels good to have other divisions pissing there pants about having to face the NFC west these days.

Great post. I think it is laughable when teams think that FA moves mean championships. Whenever I get excited myself about a free agent being signed I quickly remind myself of the Eagles "Dream Team" and that nothing is decided in free agency.

This article points it out very well:

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000151181/ ... o-success/

Quote:
That's the trouble with offseason titles: They create big expectations. Big disappointment usually follows

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.

Last edited by NinerLifer on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:42 am 
NET Veteran

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-mai ... ting-early

Here's a good article outlining our offseason moves.

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:19 am 
NET Veteran

NinerLifer wrote:
4freakin9 wrote:

Seahawks:

Niners:

Great post. I think it is laughable when teams think that FA moves mean championships. Whenever I get excited myself about a free agent being signed I quickly remind myself of the Eagles "Dream Team" and that nothing is decided in free agency.

That article points out the teams that overpay for players and has nothing to do with the Seahawks making moves in free agency and remaining fiscally responsible.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:50 pm 
NET Practice Squad

CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
NinerLifer wrote:
4freakin9 wrote:

Seahawks:

Niners:

That article points out the teams that overpay for players and has nothing to do with the Seahawks making moves in free agency and remaining fiscally responsible.

Considering that Avril and Bennet are the only FA's seattle has signed then they are not overpaying there. Harvin isn't being over payed but he basically got a FA level contract from seattle who had to give up a lot of compensation in order to sign Harvin to a huge contract who still had a year left.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:35 pm 
NET Veteran

Seattle has done the opposite of over spend. They've made clinical, opportunistic moves. And had the 49ers pulled off a trifecta of Harvin, Avril and Bennett... they'd be coming on here giving it billy big bollocks.

And because it's Seattle that's pulled off this tremendous coup... they're now arguing like crazy that 'you dont win anything in free agency'.

They'll no doubt be crowned champions of the draft because they have so many picks they'll be able to sign enough 'names' that the media recognise to be crowned SB champs in April. It's the way it is.

If they were being honest, they'd just admit it's been a brilliant week to be a Seahawks fan and they'll get their turn during the draft. And all this silliness over Harvin is ridiculous. They know full well they'd be jacked up had he signed for San Fran. Big time. He's an elite playmaker.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:06 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

Scottemojo wrote:
The good news? They cant keep all their players and all their picks.

The good news? Trent Baalke swung and missed very badly in last year's draft, which was his first flying solo (he became GM four months before the 2011 draft and their boards were probably close to being set by then).

It's going to be very hard to mess up this draft though. Let's hope he's up to the challenge.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:14 pm 
NET Practice Squad

kearly wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:
The good news? They cant keep all their players and all their picks.

The good news? Trent Baalke swung and missed very badly in last year's draft, which was his first flying solo (he became GM four months before the 2011 draft and their boards were probably close to being set by then).

It's going to be very hard to mess up this draft though. Let's hope he's up to the challenge.

A lot of the players from last years draft either were injured or got buried by depth on the roster. I agree that Jenkins has clearly showed nothing up till now. That being said, it was clear that he needs to build up his body strength this offseason but has NFL speed and could show up this season. LMJ has worked out fine so far, and most of the rest of the draft was hurt and then buried on the depth chart. Boone's emergence at RG made the Looney pick a luxery and stuff like that happened.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:17 pm 
NET Veteran

I just laugh at any 49ers fan that thinks the Bennett signing was anything other than a great signing by Seattle. He gets to the passer and there are stats the back up him being one of the better run stoppers in the NFL.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:41 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

4freakin9 wrote:
A lot of the players from last years draft either were injured or got buried by depth on the roster. I agree that Jenkins has clearly showed nothing up till now. That being said, it was clear that he needs to build up his body strength this offseason but has NFL speed and could show up this season. LMJ has worked out fine so far, and most of the rest of the draft was hurt and then buried on the depth chart. Boone's emergence at RG made the Looney pick a luxery and stuff like that happened.

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of all those draft picks busting. If a so-so backup RB is the best thing you can point to, then something went horribly wrong.

That said, I'm pretty sure Matt Millen could probably take 13 or 14 picks in this draft and walk out with several starters. I am not denying that SF is in an excellent position to succeed this April. I'd put it this way: Shaq may not have been a great shooter, but he was great at making layups. If Baalke is good at what he does, he'll kill it. Even if he's not, there's no way the 49ers won't emerge from the draft a better, younger team.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:54 pm 
NET Starter

Beyond whose team is making better picks, Seattle's picks are getting significantly more playing time than SF's, and that inherently will enable them to accelerate their improvement as well as the overall team improvement beyond what can be expected from the 9er's, barring knocking out of the ball park on the draft, which most recent draft would indicate not a given

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:00 pm 
* NET Alumni *

I think the 49ers organization is conflicted. Trent Baalke is doing a good job as is his personal and scouting departments. The problem I see is that they and the coaching staff are not on the same page .... much like it was with Baalke's predecessor. A coaching staff that prefers veterans getting off to a fast start with complex schemes struggles at getting rookies involved. I see the pressure building on the 49er coaching staff.

The Raiders across the bay, along with as many as 30 other NFL teams, will have an opportunity to pick up prospects from the 49ers in August. The 49er practice squad should also be a useful resource during the year. I don't think anyone is upset or intimidated by an organization that has too few roster spots available for rookies. There will be pleny of volunteers willing to help prospects and agents alike find alternate opportunities. There might even be another future probowler among this years surplus.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:00 pm 
NET Veteran

I think the Niners are going to be pretty aggressive in the draft. Even despite losing some key starters, 13-14 players aren't going to make the final roster. So I think they'll make some moves to target specific players. DL, DB mainly.

The issue that they've got IMO is on defense. Aldon Smith did not look anywhere close to being effective without a healthy Justin Smith. They really have to come out of this draft with a long term successor there, with Smith turning 34 in September. That's why I think they'll move up to secure Datone Jones, who's probably as good a bet as anyone to fill that particular hole. But even then, he aint Justin Smith. And they'll struggle to find anyone who can master that role the way Smith had it locked down.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:12 pm 
NET Practice Squad

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
I think the Niners are going to be pretty aggressive in the draft. Even despite losing some key starters, 13-14 players aren't going to make the final roster. So I think they'll make some moves to target specific players. DL, DB mainly.

The issue that they've got IMO is on defense. Aldon Smith did not look anywhere close to being effective without a healthy Justin Smith. They really have to come out of this draft with a long term successor there, with Smith turning 34 in September. That's why I think they'll move up to secure Datone Jones, who's probably as good a bet as anyone to fill that particular hole. But even then, he aint Justin Smith. And they'll struggle to find anyone who can master that role the way Smith had it locked down.

Aldon looks to have had a shoulder problem starting from the Chicago game that finally ended up in surgery.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/smith-undergoes-surgery-torn-labrum
I think what Baalke would prefer is to be able to have a lot more of the Spikes being replaced by Bowman type of transitions. Get a veteran in for a couple of years an groom a draft pick. Doesn't always work out (see Mays draft pick) but is a decent strategy. What the hell are you supposed to do with 14 picks though. I'm excited to see what kind of moves they try to make on draft day. Hunt or Datone Jones would be a nice protege under J. Smith.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:42 pm 
NET Veteran

Obviously the Niners won't be drafting 13+ players in the draft. No doubt packages will be put together in order to move up to....well wherever they want and pick almost whomever they want.

And then we will start seeing the reports about how the Niners are NFC favorites again yada yada yada...which will also be pointless as nothing matters until September.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:07 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

NinerLifer wrote:
Obviously the Niners won't be drafting 13+ players in the draft. No doubt packages will be put together in order to move up to....well wherever they want and pick almost whomever they want.

And then we will start seeing the reports about how the Niners are NFC favorites again yada yada yada...which will also be pointless as nothing matters until September.

I look forward to Mel Kiper calling us morons and saying we had the worst draft in the league again because we didn't follow his book, while grabbing another all pro somewhere in rounds 3-5.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:58 pm 
NET Veteran

I agree Roland, in fact I hope Kiper praises the 9er draft. That is the type of endorsement that solidifies a draft smack full of bad decisions.

Gotta say I love the recast of the draft that was out recently showing Seattle having 3 picks in the first 15 picks overall where the Niners didn't even have a player who would have been recast into round one. Yet according to Kiper we had one of the worst drafts of any team. I'll take that kinda bad every time.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:19 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

I'm not sure they'll have to move up for Datone Jones, but if they did, I'd consider it a very smart move regardless. It's going to suck if they turn those early 30's picks into Datone Jones and DeAndre Hopkins.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:40 pm 
NET Starter

heyu123 wrote:
I think you could make a legit argument the Seahawks at the end of last year were a better team than us. Just from the eye test and the result in Qwest, it's just that their game in ATL didn't bounce their way like ours did.

So with that said, this may not be so much the Niners pulling ahead as it is pulling even(or maybe slightly ahead depending on how they use the picks).

If the Niners can use some of these picks for maybe a Revis like has been speculated, even if he is just a rental, then maybe that might put them ahead in the arms race.

As it stands now it'll allow them to add tremendous depth which is what they lacked last year. But that's the only guarantee.

They were the best team in the NFL for three games at the end of the year, but as I said then, they peaked too early. At the end of the playoffs, when they cooled back to earth, there were three great NFC teams, and they were all equally matched.

But this just in: while Seattle and San Francisco did get better thus far (with Harvin, Boldin and the defensive signees by the Seahawks and the mountain of picks coming for the 49ers), the FALCONS ALSO DID. They just got Stephen Jackson, and everyone here knows what that means. That offense will now be utterly unstoppable. It wouldn't surprise me if both San Francisco and Seattle fall behind them. Of course, it's still a three team race, I think. But do not underestimate that team.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:57 pm 
NET Veteran

5_Golden_Rings wrote:
heyu123 wrote:
I think you could make a legit argument the Seahawks at the end of last year were a better team than us. Just from the eye test and the result in Qwest, it's just that their game in ATL didn't bounce their way like ours did.

So with that said, this may not be so much the Niners pulling ahead as it is pulling even(or maybe slightly ahead depending on how they use the picks).

If the Niners can use some of these picks for maybe a Revis like has been speculated, even if he is just a rental, then maybe that might put them ahead in the arms race.

As it stands now it'll allow them to add tremendous depth which is what they lacked last year. But that's the only guarantee.

They were the best team in the NFL for three games at the end of the year, but as I said then, they peaked too early. At the end of the playoffs, when they cooled back to earth, there were three great NFC teams, and they were all equally matched.

But this just in: while Seattle and San Francisco did get better thus far (with Harvin, Boldin and the defensive signees by the Seahawks and the mountain of picks coming for the 49ers), the FALCONS ALSO DID. They just got Stephen Jackson, and everyone here knows what that means. That offense will now be utterly unstoppable. It wouldn't surprise me if both San Francisco and Seattle fall behind them. Of course, it's still a three team race, I think. But do not underestimate that team.

Stephen Jackson does not scare the Seattle Seahawks. He has accomplished very little against them in his career. I do not believe that he ever broke 100 yards rushing.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:52 pm 
NET Veteran

While I am very happy that Stephen Jackson is no longer in the division, it sucks that he went to a team that has a great passing attack. That team will be trouble from now on, and Jackson will look like a younger better version of himself with defenses having to respect Matt Ryan and Roddy White at the same time.

Glad the Niners play them in Candlestick next season.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:30 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

5_Golden_Rings wrote:
heyu123 wrote:

Not agreed at all. Jackson has 2800 carries on those wheels, and is on the wrong side of 30. The Falcons D is not getting better.

I was not surprised that Atlanta put the number of points they did on both our teams. What surprised me was both our teams left at least ten points on the field. That Atlanta D is easy to gouge, primarily through the linebackers.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:48 pm 
NET Veteran

5_Golden_Rings wrote:
heyu123 wrote:

No the Hawks didn't peak too early, our ussypay d-coord decided he wanted to play a softzone-prevent defense on ATL's last drive with less than a minute left in the game! Thank Gawd he is no longer part of the coaching staff!

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:51 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Steven Jackson puts the Falcons over the top like Anquan Boldin puts the 49ers over the top.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Last edited by RolandDeschain on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]