Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]

Post subject: Don't sleep on Jake Long
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

The sexiest pick for the Seahawks in free agency would be a guy like Mike Wallace, someone who can stretch the field and help this offense take it to another level. And don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Hawks pick him up in the offseason for a good price.

But I think that Jake Long would be an excellent pickup for the Hawks this offseason as well, sure he had an off year at the Left Tackle position, but imagine him at the right tackle spot for the Hawks. He brings a much better ability to protect the passer than Breno does. Long slid in protection in pass blocking this year, but still shows greater promise, and has an overall better set of skills than Breno.

I don't know if Long would jump at the opportunity to play on the right side when playing on the left side made him the number one overall pick and a very rich man, but I believe that Pete and John can persuade him. Long is a big Michigan tackle, a guy that played in the elements and dwelled in every way, why not come back to a place where it rains and gets cold.

Long could open up a lot of things for this offense, he can buy time for Russell, he can be a good man to run behind on stretch plays to the right side. And he can not get so many penalties.

I love Breno's style of play, but I think that with Long we won't have to keep a tight in to block so much on run and pass plays, Long would be able to give Zach Miller and Anthony McCoy more opportunities. I just think this move would make a lot of sense, FOR THE RIGHT PRICE.

Post subject: Re: Don't sleep on Jake Long
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:00 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

No.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 pm 
* NET Eeyore *

It would be a great get, but in reality he would cost us waaaaaay to much, especially if we want to sign some of younger guys to extensions this offseason as well.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:27 pm 
NET Veteran

If he can play LT, then he should be able to play RT. Obviously. However, his price tag will be ridiculous...

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:29 pm 
NET Veteran

Too much money. I would totally be on board otherwise.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:44 pm 
NET Veteran

For cheap, it would make sense. But it's too much money towards the cap, so no.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:51 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *

But he dwelled in every way!!!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Not realistic but would be a sweet lineup. Though who plays RT? You are paying Okung close to 11M capwise. Long wants top LT money, no one is talking him out of that to play RT.

Say goodbye to a few high priced players if this happens

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Last edited by drdiags on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 pm 
NET Veteran

Thank you for the advice; I'll continue to sleep on my bed.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

He's going to be making LT money. Not worth it compared to the relatively cheap contract Breno is signed up for.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:19 pm 
NET Veteran

wonder what happen to team chemistry when a rookie team with underpaid veterans(for the most part) get a veteran come in who makes more than all of them.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:39 pm 
NET Veteran

This thread would have been better if it was entitled, "Don't sleep Long on Jake" HEY-OH

"We all we got, we all we need"

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:02 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Funny, even though I expect Jake Long to be a free agent, two off seasons with these guys have conditioned me to not even consider him as a possibility in Seattle.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:52 am 
NET Veteran

Simply put Jake Long to Seattle ain't happening this guy was a former #1 pick overall he will command top dollar from desperate teams looking for a left tackle.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:13 am 
NET Veteran

lukerguy wrote:
This thread would have been better if it was entitled, "Don't sleep Long on Jake" HEY-OH

Funny. I musta be dyslixec. At first I thought the title was "Dont sleep on Jake's Lawn".

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:58 am 
* NET Cynic *

If there was no salary cap, I'd be all over that. Even still, I think cap hell is very, very overrated, but Long is going to want $10 million plus per year, and I just don't think that's a good use of resources. Even if there's a decent chance that it wouldn't effect our future cap anyway.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:21 am 
NET Veteran

I think some people are waayyy off base with our O-Line. I'm good with Breno at RT. He made a lot of stupid mistakes early on in the year, but he's a pro bowl caliber OT when he doesn't make mistakes and he played like a pro bowl caliber right tackle the 2nd half of the season. People need to rewatch the games and see who's consistently downfield making blocks for the ball-carrier, albeit Wilson or Lynch. Breno also has a demeanor and aggressiveness that compliments our offensive style very well. Breno's focus and discipline is an issue, but he's a monster at RT when he's focused on the game.

If anything, I think improving the interior play is the biggest concern with our O-Line. Our tackles didn't have problems with protecting Wilson from the edge rush, unless Wilson dropped too deep, which he has a tendency to do. Our interior line, on the other hand, let defenders come through free repeatedly throughout the year. Fortunately Wilson was elusive enough to avoid a lot of those sacks, but interior pressure was the biggest problem for our line. If we had just about any other QB in the league, our line would've led the league in sacks allowed. I also realize our line is still really young with a lot of room to develop, but I'm not going to pretend like everything was rosy with our offensive line last year. I have to admit though... Sweezy is a beast and I love the way he's developing.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:03 pm 
NET Veteran

bestfightstory wrote:
But he dwelled in every way!!!

I'm dwelling right now, but not sure if I'm doing it in 'every way.' For the life of me, i can't figure out what word the OP intended to use. Surely he didn't mean to use dwell.

OP: "I totally meant that, and stop calling me shirley!"

Yeah, Long either lives or hesitates really well :stirthepot:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:15 pm 
NET Veteran

So you want to spend 'at least' $10m annually (that's what he's asking for) on a right tackle?

Jesus wept.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:43 pm 
NET Veteran

HawkFan72 wrote:
He's going to be making LT money. Not worth it compared to the relatively cheap contract Breno is signed up for.

Spot on, Breno's value/performance is incredible. Doesn't make sense to spend LT money on a RT.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:42 pm 
* Gangnameister *

I thought this was a warning against sleeping WITH Jake Long. Figured he had the herpes or something...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:53 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Based on what I have seen so far from our Front Office, John Schnieder can squeeze a nickle pretty hard. I have serious doubts that John will spend $10 million for Jake.....on second thought, he wouldn't even pay $5 million!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:06 am 
NET Veteran

He wouldn't take our RT offer over his 5+ LT offers.

If we are okay spending the money, a guy like Andre Smith from the Bengals graded out as a top 5 RT and there is a chance he will hit the open market because the Bengals need to Franchise their stud young DE Michael Johnson. Speaking of which either one of Smith or Johnson, whoever makes it to the market, I would love to see us pursue.

Both will be expensive though. . .

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:31 am 
NET Veteran

We don't need a right tackle, let alone an expensive free agent right tackle.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:39 am 
NET Veteran

Breno graded out as one of the worst starting tackles in the entire league. Sure a lot of that grade had to do with penalties and not squarely on blocking performance, but there were times where he wasn't paying very well in either the run or pass game. I agree that we could survive without a big change, but I don't understand how you couldn't at least consider that a position that would benefit from an upgrade.

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:42 am 
NET Veteran

The Yugoslavian wrote:
Breno graded out as one of the worst starting tackles in the entire league. Sure a lot of that grade had to do with penalties and not squarely on blocking performance, but there were times where he wasn't paying very well in either the run or pass game. I agree that we could survive without a big change, but I don't understand how you couldn't at least consider that a position that would benefit from an upgrade.

Actually he graded out poorly on PFW or PFF's rankings (whatever it's called). They also had Earl Thomas as the 29th best safety in the NFL. So we can basically make any argument we want based on those stats. As you admit yourself, his stats were impacted heavily by early season penalties and once he'd sorted that out he was very good for the rest of the year.

The only evidence we need is to go back and watch a fantastic running game ALL season and the way we shut out a laundry list of the leagues best pass rushers. We do not need a right tackle. Most people on this forum can't even name five other NFL right tackles. I don't think I can without going on google. We didn't need a great right tackle in 2005. We are fine. It'd be a pointless waste of resources. We're getting fantastic value and performance from our o-line.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:52 am 
* Gangnameister *

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
The Yugoslavian wrote:

Actually he graded out poorly on PFW or PFF's rankings (whatever it's called). They also had Earl Thomas as the 29th best safety in the NFL. So we can basically make any argument we want based on those stats. As you admit yourself, his stats were impacted heavily by early season penalties and once he'd sorted that out he was very good for the rest of the year.

The only evidence we need is to go back and watch a fantastic running game ALL season and the way we shut out a laundry list of the leagues best pass rushers. We do not need a right tackle. Most people on this forum can't even name five other NFL right tackles. I don't think I can without going on google. We didn't need a great right tackle in 2005. We are fine. It'd be a pointless waste of resources. We're getting fantastic value and performance from our o-line.

Exactamundo.

Yes Breno struggled a fair bit early on, but he rallied and finished the season quite strongly. Sure we could upgrade RT (and hell, maybe we should if a great prospect falls in our lap) but I don't think it's something we need to be actively pursuing at this point. Breno's proven himself to be more than capable IMO.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:29 pm 
NET Veteran

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
The Yugoslavian wrote:

This! In the salary cap era you can't have stars at every position. I would upgrade at guard before I did at tackle.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:03 pm 
* NET Sage *

Jake Long will be a Chicago Bear 24 hours into free agency. Book it.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:20 am 
NET Veteran

Hasselbeck wrote:
Jake Long will be a Chicago Bear 24 hours into free agency. Book it.

Agreed.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 am 
* NET Philistine *

This is brilliant in every way. I mean, how could a LT not want to switch from a position of 'fame' to a lesser one while making less money? Just brilliant.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm 
* Smackmeister *

CANHawk wrote:
I thought this was a warning against sleeping WITH Jake Long. Figured he had the herpes or something...

No, no. It's specifically talking about sleeping ON Jake Long. I have found most professional football players are no more comfortable to sleep on than an IKEA couch. If you bought your furniture anyplace respectable you most assuredly have a couch, chair or ottoman that would be a better selection for sleeping on than an NFL lineman, IMO.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:36 pm 
* Smackmeister *

Sarlacc83 wrote:
This is brilliant in every way. I mean, how could a LT not want to switch from a position of 'fame' to a lesser one while making less money? Just brilliant.

Do you think Tom Brady would come be our holder? I worry about Jon Ryan injuring a hand and not being able to punt very well.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:39 pm 
* NET Philistine *

JesterHawk wrote:
Sarlacc83 wrote:

Do you think Tom Brady would come be our holder? I worry about Jon Ryan injuring a hand and not being able to punt very well.

Throw in a pair of Uggs and I bet you've got a deal.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 pm 
* NET Lead Admin *

.net during free agency makes me lol. Last year may be hard to beat but this thread gives me hope that the crying will be louder than ever when the seahawks aren't players for overpriced 'name' guys looking to cash in on 2nd and 3rd contracts.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:28 pm 
* Gangnameister *

SIGN NNAMDI!!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:47 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *

It ceased to quiver.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:35 am 
*Host of .NET Awards*

We're not pulling a "Mario Williams" that's for sure. But I really do see Desmond Bryant wearing blue and green next season.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:53 am 
NET Veteran

JesterHawk wrote:
CANHawk wrote:

No, no. It's specifically talking about sleeping ON Jake Long. I have found most professional football players are no more comfortable to sleep on than an IKEA couch. If you bought your furniture anyplace respectable you most assuredly have a couch, chair or ottoman that would be a better selection for sleeping on than an NFL lineman, IMO.

Speak for yourself. My wife and I have been sleeping on Carlester Crumpler for a decade now, and it's been fine. Sure, we had to put a pillowtop on him after a few years, but that's not a big deal.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:46 am 
NET Starter

Jake Long sounds like a porn star

http://www.youtube.com/rxstr8

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 pm 
* Gangnameister *

SIGN ROBERT GALLERY!!

Oh wait....... that actually happened. Useless, broken down old turd.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]