Defensive schemes

Chapman

Reaction score
so what defensive scheme is going to be ideal to take away the zone / option read?
Are more teams going to have to use a spy full time and man coverage?
Do you blitz up the middle and have your defensive ends play zone to seal off / set the edge.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
42-13.
Our scheme took it away.
I was noticing the other day that the Niners were 6-4-1 in the regular season vs 4-3 teams, and 5-0 vs 3-4 teams.

Reaction score
The 49ers didn't run the pistol formation hardly at all against the Seahawks, or much of their last three games for that matter, in order to catch their first opponents in the postseason off guard. They're not exactly a team I would sleep on.

chris98251

Reaction score
49ers didn't use it because we didn't allow them to use it, we shut down lanes and forced Kaep to beat us with his arm, he got mid range routes and the receivers paid for it, we shut down most running lanes as well.

Ravens were doing a lot of the same things in the Super Bowl we did if you were watching and seeing the simularities.

KK84

Reaction score
chris98251":2itu6l6z said:
49ers didn't use it because we didn't allow them to use it, we shut down lanes and forced Kaep to beat us with his arm, he got mid range routes and the receivers paid for it, we shut down most running lanes as well.

Ravens were doing a lot of the same things in the Super Bowl we did if you were watching and seeing the simularities.

I was thinking the same thing. The first half of the superbowl was eerily similar to the Sunday night game. I wonder what kind of impact the tape from that game had on their defensive strategy

chris98251

Reaction score
What hurt the Ravens was they lost their legs and 49ers started get open and opened up for Kaep when they had to do more coverage to help Ray out.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
...and Ngata got injured, that certainly helped open up the run, then the play action off the run.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah forgot about that, there was a huge difference afterwords.