Flacco from the sidelines on the kickoff return

kidhawk

Reaction score
Don't know how many watched it, I only caught the last few minutes, but NFL Network aired an hour replay of the game last night with players and coaches mic'd up. Before the kickoff (free kick) on the last play of the game, Flacco said to several of his teammates that they should run on the field and tackle the guy (from the sideline) if he should happen to break free. He went on to say that he had no idea what the rule was, but what's the worst they could do? Give them the touchdown?

Got me to wondering, what the official rule is in that situation? Anyone know what would happen to a player who interfered with a live play from the sideline?

I would guess there would be huge trouble from the NFL, but would it cause a forfeit or a replay or give them the TD? Anyone know?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I suppose they'd assess a 15 yard penalty and give the O a final play by rule

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Would this be the same as tripping a player running down the sideline?

[youtube]0jzpssk-iXU[/youtube]

NYCoug

Reaction score
Pretty ironic that the Jets Strength and Conditioning Coach, Sal Alosi, got fired by the Jets after this and ended up on Jim Mora Jr's staff at UCLA as the Strength and Conditioning coach there.

We always knew that Mora had a love for "dirtbags", this just proves it.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Per Rule 12, Section 3, Article 3 of the NFL Rules Manual:
"Palpably Unfair Act. A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score."

LMAO Man Flacco sure got excited

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
When I first heard this story, I thought, "Good job on telling the special teams to tackle the guy with the ball. Damn, Flacco is king of the obvious. No wonder he thinks he deserves to be the highest paid QB in the NFL."

This makes more sense.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2wzfnmut said:
Per Rule 12, Section 3, Article 3 of the NFL Rules Manual:
"Palpably Unfair Act. A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score."

LMAO Man Flacco sure got excited

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Thanks for the link.

Sounds like basically it would have been the officials judgement as to whether or not to award a score or a penalty with a final play with no time on the clock.

Would have made for probably the most interesting finish in Super Bowl history had it gone down like that.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2bl3c7kp said:
I could see Jim Harbaugh doing this to Leon Washington at some point.

I have a feeling it'd be a thrown clipboard or a clothesline.