Warren Sapp is a Hall of Famer?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Really? I mean, I don't having anything against the guy but I never really thought of him as a Hall of Famer.

drdiags

Reaction score
Me neither but many in the know felt he ranked up there or was better than Cortez. The fact Sapp was a first ballot winner speaks to what the national perspective is on him. Figure he would catch flak over his block on the Green Bay lineman that caused such an uproar, or his saying Shockey was the snitch, along with other controversial things he has done but that didn't deter him from getting in.

Congrats to him and the others. Immortalized for as long as there is an NFL HOF and NFL game being played.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I wondered if he was a first ballot. I didn't see it mentioned in the article I read but I didn't figure he'd been out for very long. I think I would have gone with Strahan over Sapp, though I'm not convinced Strahan is a Hall of Famer either. That said, I think I have an over valuation of what it means to be a Hall of Famer.

That said, I'm glad to see Chris Carter get in.

Meeker

Reaction score
7 time Pro Bowler
6 time All Pro (4 1st Team, 2 2nd Team)
4 double digit sacks seasons from a DT
Main catalyst on one of the greatest defenses of all time

He certainly has the credentials

BASF

Reaction score
Meeker":27mmfkuh said:
Main catalyst on one of the greatest defenses of all time

This was probably the most glaring thing that people could point to. The fact is that the Tampa 2 has never been run as well as when Sapp was pushing the pocket for Tampa Bay. He was the primary reason they could run that defense as effectively as they did for so many years. It is hard to say that he redefined the position since there were several very effective pass rushers from the DT position, but he certainly brought a different skill set than most had had previously.

Rat

Reaction score
Sapp was an amazing player who deserved HOF love, but I'm surprised he got in on the first ballot.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He's was excellent in his prime and was often double and even triple teamed. He played a long time as well which always helps.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sapp very much deserved it, was used differently after he left Tampa, but in Tampa he was dominating as a player and had Shermans knack of messing with your head and backing it up.