Kuechly Wins DROY

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Kuechly Wins DROY
Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:24 pm
  • according to NFL Network
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Re: Kuechly Wins DROY
Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:25 pm
  • No surprise, I suppose. Wish one of our guys would have won, however.
    Last edited by FortWorthSeahawk on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:43 pm
  • The shutout is official. I think if the voting is held after the Superbowl, the results are very different. It took the east coast several extra months to deduce what we've known since early November about our team. Richard Sherman missed the pro-bowl. I think that's all that needs to be said.

I think Wilson and Schneider got robbed, but I am okay with Wagner losing. When Seattle played Carolina early in the season their defense was much tougher to score on than we expected, and Kuechly's move to MLB was a huge reason for it. Since being moved there, Carolina's defense went from one of the worst in the league to top 10 after that point. Don't forget either that John Schneider had Kuechly at the very top of his draft board alongside Barron and Irvin last year.

Kuechly changed his defense. Wagner made plays and certainly elevated the defense (and had a better stat line, IMO), but he struck me as more of a component element than a game changer. I also think that in 5 years time Kuechly will probably be viewed as the bigger star of the two. They are two very similar LBs, and when I scouted Wagner I even referred to him as a poor man's Luke Kuechly.

Not saying Kuechly should have won hands down, but I think it's close enough that it doesn't feel that Wagner was robbed.
    Last edited by kearly on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:46 pm
  • Eh, I feel like Wagner should have won it, but it is what it is. It's just a award.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Weak sauce, I'm more pissed about this than I am Wilson coming in 3rd in voting.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:19 pm
  • im angry
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:14 pm
  • Bobby should of won this.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:38 pm
  • Who?

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:54 pm
  • Bobby would have won if he'd been a first round pick. It's a business, folks, people tune in because they want to hear names they recognize, and no one outside of Seattle knows who the hell Bobby Wagner is.
    "I'm gonna call him--what do you call the guy on the trampoline?--Harry Houdini or something like that." -Warren Moon on Golden Tate
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:24 pm
  • kearly wrote:The shutout is official. I think if the voting is held after the Superbowl, the results are very different. It took the east coast several extra months to deduce what we've known since early November about our team. Richard Sherman missed the pro-bowl. I think that's all that needs to be said.

I think Wilson and Schneider got robbed, but I am okay with Wagner losing. When Seattle played Carolina early in the season their defense was much tougher to score on than we expected, and Kuechly's move to MLB was a huge reason for it. Since being moved there, Carolina's defense went from one of the worst in the league to top 10 after that point. Don't forget either that John Schneider had Kuechly at the very top of his draft board alongside Barron and Irvin last year.

Kuechly changed his defense. Wagner made plays and certainly elevated the defense (and had a better stat line, IMO), but he struck me as more of a component element than a game changer. I also think that in 5 years time Kuechly will probably be viewed as the bigger star of the two. They are two very similar LBs, and when I scouted Wagner I even referred to him as a poor man's Luke Kuechly.

Not saying Kuechly should have won hands down, but I think it's close enough that it doesn't feel that Wagner was robbed.

How exactly did he change his defense? Carolina's defense improved when their pass rush consistently brought pressure, is that a byproduct of Kuechly? Kuechly is a product of a front 4 that cannot stop the run.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:40 pm
  • Blech. Kuchley led the league in tackles because his shitty defense couldn't get off the field and his shitty offense couldn't stay on it. He had more opportunities to make tackles.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:20 am
  • kearly wrote:The shutout is official. I think if the voting is held after the Superbowl, the results are very different. It took the east coast several extra months to deduce what we've known since early November about our team. Richard Sherman missed the pro-bowl. I think that's all that needs to be said.

Hell, some of the AP writers probably didn't even know Seattle had a team before the Bears game!

And the Sherman comparison is a good one because, much like Wilson winning the Pepsi Max ROY award due to the fan vote, Sherman finished second at his position for Pro Bowl fan voting. The "experts" may not notice much that happens West of the Mississippi, but this year's Hawks team got a big thumbs up from the people who actually watched all of the games.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:43 am
  • Shadowhawk wrote:
    kearly wrote:The shutout is official. I think if the voting is held after the Superbowl, the results are very different. It took the east coast several extra months to deduce what we've known since early November about our team. Richard Sherman missed the pro-bowl. I think that's all that needs to be said.

Hell, some of the AP writers probably didn't even know Seattle had a team before the Bears game!

And the Sherman comparison is a good one because, much like Wilson winning the Pepsi Max ROY award due to the fan vote, Sherman finished second at his position for Pro Bowl fan voting. The "experts" may not notice much that happens West of the Mississippi, but this year's Hawks team got a big thumbs up from the people who actually watched all of the games.

The "experts" picked Sherman to be a first team All-Pro. Just saying.

Sorry, I cannot take into great account anything from a voting system that can be spammed with votes. I'm glad Wilson won the fan voting, but it really just means he was the more popular candidate rather than the most deserving. However, my homer bias toward Wilson makes me believe that he won because the fans saw that he's the most deserving, especially since it went into the post season. Always the possibility that Seattle fans just spammed the hell out of it though too.
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:47 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information