Listening to NFL on Sirius, Bill Romanowski

ivotuk

Reaction score
Made a good point about the drop off in Aldon's sacks. He said that SF doesn't rotate their DLine like other teams do and that we are seeing end of season fatigue from these guys.

I'm not sure if it will manifest itself in the Superbowl since they've had two weeks off, but it might late in the game.

He also said that Ray Lewis having all that time to recoup should be primed and ready for the game. I hope he is and that the Ravens blow everyone's minds with a good thrubbing of the Neeners. :D

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That is a load from Romanowski. Aldon has stopped getting sacks when Justin hurt his arm and couldn't grab two guys anymore. Justin hurt his arm against the Patriots, and Aldon hasn't had a sack since.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ss85k9wm said:
That is a load from Romanowski. Aldon has stopped getting sacks when Justin hurt his arm and couldn't grab two guys anymore. Justin hurt his arm against the Patriots, and Aldon hasn't had a sack since.

This seems fairly obvious to me. But then again, I'm not a former NFL player who took one too many blows to the head.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
actually i think its a combination of things and Romanowski possibly thinks the same thing, but he made a good point in saying that it"s still up to Aldon to get off blocks. Justin being out certainly effects Aldons play but I don"t know that anyone can say that"s the only reason.

Aldon is a damn good player, and Justin or no Justin, he should still get sacks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ivotuk":yn2ff67b said:
actually i think its a combination of things and Romanowski possibly thinks the same thing, but he made a good point in saying that it"s still up to Aldon to get off blocks. Justin being out certainly effects Aldons play but I don"t know that anyone can say that"s the only reason.

Aldon is a damn good player, and Justin or no Justin, he should still get sacks.

Aldon is a part time loafer who wants sacks and little else. He lacks invention, and fully half his sacks or more are off of Justin's grabbing the tackle and guard. Justin's left arm is useless right now, and he cannot grab the guard. It is the left guard gap that Aldon runs through most of the time, Aldon rarely edge rushes.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":8kil4guq said:

Ding ding ding ding ding, we've got a winner.

Now for the Double Jeopardy question: What position affects pass rushers the most on a defense?

What is the interior defensive line, Alex?

HE WINS AGAIN!

hawker84

Reaction score
agreed, justin smith is the key to that lines success.. Aldon smith is in his early 20's.. you're going to try and convince me that after a week off , he's still tired on Sunday? na aint buy that at all.. justin smith requires double teams, which free him up, no Justin, no sack record. no sacks period.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I caught a few minutes of NFL AM this morning (or maybe it was part of their super bowl coverage show, not sure actually)...anyway, There were 4 people at the desk, and it was Sapp talking to one of the others (I wasn't paying too close attention, so not sure) and he said that he liked the way Justin uses the holding technique to help Aldon get the sacks. The other guy said, "Holding's illegal" and Sapp laughed and said something about how they wanted a more open game and this is what you get.

So basically Sapp (A defensive lineman) calls holding a "technique" and is impressed with the way they were doing it. This isn't the first we've heard about D Line holding on the Niners. I believe it was the Giants who made a similar accusation before they played them. It's also something that's rarely called, and I think if you can get away with it, more power to you. Justin Smith is obviously very good at getting away with it

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If I am any player on the Ravens, as soon as Justin puts a hand on me I am smacking that left elbow all to hell.

mikeak

Reaction score
Aldon is probably buying "supplements" from Romanovski so he is being nice to him......

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Well then, Quinn should be teaching our DTs the art of holding.

I'm curious, do you guys think that Clemons is better than Aldon?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
ivotuk":o16s1qsa said:
Well then, Quinn should be teaching our DTs the art of holding.

I'm curious, do you guys think that Clemons is better than Aldon?
Nope

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawker84":29iyaumg said:
agreed, justin smith is the key to that lines success.. Aldon smith is in his early 20's.. you're going to try and convince me that after a week off , he's still tired on Sunday? na aint buy that at all.. justin smith requires double teams, which free him up, no Justin, no sack record. no sacks period.

So you don't think players get fatigued after 16 regular season games and 2 playoff games? I think that fatigue is what cost us the game in Atlanta. All of those games and all of that travel has to wear on a football player, no matter his age.

And I don't subscribe to the idea that Aldon Smtih can't get a sack without Justin Smith, there is somrthing else contributing to his lack of production. Nobody thinks Clem is better than Aldon, yet Clem gets double digit sacks withiout a Justin Smith caliber DT at his side.

There must be some other reason for Aldon's lack of nsacks, but according to comments here, it has nothing to do with fatigue. I disagree, but I'm just a fan, not an expert and I'm curious as to what the problem is. Maybe someone else has the answer.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think if Clemons were on the Niners he would have the same impact as Aldon. And Clemons is a better all around player too.