Glen Dorsey...

ivotuk

Reaction score

Basis4day

Reaction score
One picture does not a player make (Leg muscles should be factored in as well).

Yes, he has a lot of flags regarding his production and injuries. He was also drafted 5th overall for a reason as a DT that had to switch to DE for a scheme change. If he was brought in for us we'd probably put him back at DT.

Its worth the due diligence of the FO to take a look at this guy.

pehawk

Reaction score
I asked Scotte his thoughts, and he arrived at the conclusion I suspected, he's been playinbg out of position. He's not even asked to make plays, more occupy people so others can make plays. I like him...

12th_Bob

Reaction score
The injuries are the biggest issue with Dorsey, he's been banged up since LSU but for cheap and with some conditioning getting that extra 3-4 weight off could maybe pay off. Could also be cheap and if he can't make and impact then cut him, no loss.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2nqxwho4 said:
I asked Scotte his thoughts, and he arrived at the conclusion I suspected, he's been playinbg out of position. He's not even asked to make plays, more occupy people so others can make plays. I like him...
Yes, but I don't know shit.

I also don't think that picture says a damn thing about his fitness. But, like I said, I don't know shit. Or maybe I don't know that I know shit.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, Scott didnt really sound excited. Excitement over average players is usually my gimmick.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Basis4day":3f0uhpd1 said:
One picture does not a player make (Leg muscles should be factored in as well).

Yes, he has a lot of flags regarding his production and injuries. He was also drafted 5th overall for a reason as a DT that had to switch to DE for a scheme change. If he was brought in for us we'd probably put him back at DT.

Its worth the due diligence of the FO to take a look at this guy.

Of course leg strength factors in, and maybe that's where most of his weight is, but a DL also needs upper body strength to fight off blocks and control the line of scrimmage. If you look at players like Chris Clemons or Brandon Mebane, you see upper body strength. Now a picture can't tell you how many times a man can bench press, but it certainly can give one an idea of where their strength lies.

If you take the case of Andre Smith running with his shirt off, it definitely had a negative effect on wha teams thought of him. Of course Cincinnati foolishly took him with the 6th overall pick and to no ones surprise, he held out through training camp and broke his foot when he tried to keep up with everyone else who were all in shape.

My point is this, if someone is picked that early and fails to produce, wht are the reasons? Are they over matched at the next level? Is it the coaching? After multiple coaching changes, one would hesitate to think so. Maybe the role he is playing isn't conducive to personal success? But then why would a team that has invested so much in a player misuse him? And why would successive coaches continue this? Are They really that stupid? Or is Dorsey under performing?

My guess? He is physically over matched. Of course there are those who say that Glen can succeed with better coaching, and that may be. But I see no evidence that can allow anyone outside of the NFL to proclaim that any idea about Dorsey not being physically up to speed are folly. I believe my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, and that is all it is, an opinion, not a proclamation.

But who knows for sure? I certainly don't, I'm just postulating a theory based on the limited evidence available. I think he needs to improve physically but am completely prepared for someone to prove me wrong. I would welcome an authoritative opinion on the reasons for Glen Dorseys failures. :D

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
here's a positive article on him from prior to the 2012 season

"As we all know, Glenn Dorsey was drafted #5 overall in 2008 to play the 4-3 DT position. He was looked at by most experts as the best player coming into the draft. In his rookie season, many felt as though the Chiefs had a bust on their hands. He was often invisible, but towards the end of the season started to show progress. In the second campaign Dorsey began to emerge. While Kansas City was still atrocious, Dorsey was starting to show flashes of promise consistently on the line. His footwork and technique was better and the Body by Haley program had him in the best shape of his career.

Last season, young Glenn really shined. The youngest player on the defensive line (out of the starters, Jackson didn't really start for most of the season), Dorsey showed why the Chiefs stayed the course with him. With a 3-4 DE, it's sometimes hard to quantify the impact through stats. The position is more about commanding a double-team and holding up blockers to allow others to make plays, rather than make the play themselves. It's also the DE's job to penetrate and push the pocket, something Dorsey excels at, especially in the running game."

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/7/21/2287105/chiefs-de-glenn-dorsey-a-view-from-the-stands

Stuey

Reaction score
Any time I see his name, I always think of Ken Dorsey, the crusty white dude from the U.