Moss: "I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game."

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13

• He's not. Now, having said that, if he could have kept his mind right, he COULD HAVE been the GOAT, but as it is....naw.....
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Absolutely no way he's better than Rice. Now, he could argue that he is the 2nd best receiver of all time. But saying he is the best just makes me barf.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Greatest? No.

Most naturally talented? Very possibly.

Top 5? Absolutely.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Why not?
    3rd all-time in receptions, 2nd in TDs with only Rice and TO ahead, despite the likes of Daunte Culpepper (who was a product of Moss and not vice versa), Kerry Collins and Alex Smith making the bulk of his passes (3 seasons of a HoF QB compared to the entire career that Rice had with Montana and then Young throwing the ball makes a difference).

I'd say it's neck and neck between the two
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Different times now, offenses way more pass oriented. I would put Largent in the top 5 for sure mostly because he did most of his work in a more run oriented offense.

Even Rice says Largent's the best.

:les:
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• The Radish wrote:Even Rice says Largent's the best.

Got a source for this? I can't find anything on it, and there's a coworker I'd love to beat over the head with it; but I need to have proof.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• themunn wrote:Why not?
    3rd all-time in receptions, 2nd in TDs with only Rice and TO ahead, despite the likes of Daunte Culpepper (who was a product of Moss and not vice versa), Kerry Collins and Alex Smith making the bulk of his passes (3 seasons of a HoF QB compared to the entire career that Rice had with Montana and then Young throwing the ball makes a difference).

I'd say it's neck and neck between the two

Randy past TO this season in TDs. You were correct in saying he is 2nd all time, but TO is not ahead.

You forgot Tom Brady as a QB throwing to him. In terms of Randy's 14 year career, Alex Smith barely had an impact.

Edit: But I agree with themunn. I think it's closer than most people admit.
    Last edited by SoHo9erFan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran

• The Radish wrote:Different times now, offenses way more pass oriented. I would put Largent in the top 5 for sure mostly because he did most of his work in a more run oriented offense.

Even Rice says Largent's the best.

:les:

Offenses have been significantly pass-oriented since 1978, when major rules changes went into place that prevented defenders from mugging receivers after 5 yards. If you look at run-pass balance, it changed immediately after those 1978 rules went into place and has been relatively consistent since then.

The rules in 1978 included the 5-yard rule (or the "Mel Blount Rule") and changes that allowed offensive linemen to block with open hands and extended arms - both changes intended to open up the passing game.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/01 ... lysis.html

There's not NEARLY enough of a difference between the game in the late 70s/early 80s and now to discount Moss' numbers against Largent's.

EDIT: You can even see the effect of those rule changes in looking at Largent's production: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... rgSt00.htm

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Not buying it. He's great, but he's not number 1.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• i'd say they're closer than peole think.. rice played for 20 years.. moss in his 14th season.. pure talent wise i say Moss.. all around talent, and work ethic, Rice.. GOAT , right now rice..
    Last edited by hawker84 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Rice will always be the GOAT for me. Of course, its close. Randy could've been the best if he got out of his own way sooner. Entire body of work, I'd definitely go with Rice. No question about it.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I would take TO over him any day.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• He's not the greatest (That belongs to Rice)

However, Moss at his peak was the most physically talented and gifted WR to ever grace the gridiron

I would take him over everyone in his prime, that's how good he was

No one could stop him
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Shaz wrote:He's not the greatest (That belongs to Rice)

However, Moss at his peak was the most physically talented and gifted WR to ever grace the gridiron

I would take him over everyone in his prime, that's how good he was

No one could stop him

Agree!.....Moss was the best deep threat to ever play, but you will get nothing else. When Moss was with the Vikings as a QB all you had to do was throw it deep and the ball was his, even double or triple coverage

RM had a million dollar physical gifts but a 2 cent head. Imagine if he had a good work ethic, IMO Moss would have been the best ever
    Hawkinaz
    NET Practice Squad

• 2nd or 3rd I think. If his mind was right since the beginning, he could have been the best.
    Claden
    NET Rookie

• As amazingly talented and physically gifted as he was, he truly wasted a great (nearly sure thing) opportunity to be the greatest of all time... along with those incredible talents and gifts and potential, what comes to mind for me with Randy Moss in regards to his football career are words like: Lazy, Quitter, Bone Head, Prima Donna, Jerk, Self Centered, Distraction... to name a few.

"Everyone hath a plan... until they get punthed in the fathe." -- Mike Tython on the 2014 Theattle Theahawkth.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information