Junior Seau's family files wrongful death suit against NFL

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Cant stand this kind of stuff. You know the dangers but you or your family sue anyway when those dangers are realized.

kearly

Reaction score
I am not a lawyer- but just as an average joe- it bugs me that suicide could be grounds for a wrongful death suit. If he had died from paralysis, or stroke or something non-voluntary, different story. But this suit- it would be a little like a parent suing some emo band their kid liked because their teenager committed suicide. Brain function is something that science is just scratching the surface on with it's understanding. We can't be sure how much of his desire for suicide was fueled by head trauma and how much was routine depression that comes with retirement and life changes. And in the end, it all boils down to choices made by Seau, both by playing in the league and taking his own life. Not to be insensitive to Seau's family but I hope they lose that suit. It would set a really dark precedent for the league.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
prove to me that the head injury made him suicide. That is ridiculous. If it caused SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, then it was still his responsibility to get his ass to a doctor/psychologist ASAP.

Bullshit suit.

Subzero717

Reaction score
They should be ashamed of themselves and so should the ambulance chaser that talked them into it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1ph7xtwo said:
I am not a lawyer- but just as an average joe- it bugs me that suicide could be grounds for a wrongful death suit. If he had died from paralysis, or stroke or something non-voluntary, different story. But this suit- it would be a little like a parent suing some emo band their kid liked because their teenager committed suicide. Brain function is something that science is just scratching the surface on with it's understanding. We can't be sure how much of his desire for suicide was fueled by head trauma and how much was routine depression that comes with retirement and life changes. And in the end, it all boils down to choices made by Seau, both by playing in the league and taking his own life. Not to be insensitive to Seau's family but I hope they lose that suit. It would set a really dark precedent for the league.

I actually agree with you 100% in principal here, but I just can't say that his suicide was definitely voluntary. We don't know nearly enough about his brain problems to know that he actually had a choice here. I'm not saying I agree with the lawsuit, but I just am clarifying that in this type of instance, the suicide has the possibility of not being as "voluntary" as one might believe. There are too many questions that cannot be answered..which is why I also believe the lawsuit should go away, but the NFL may settle (which is what the lawyers undoubtedly are counting on) just to keep away the bad publicity.

Death is a strange thing, we all react differently. Some people see death as an opportunity to expand their finances, others find it a time to grieve. Too often, family members look to their relatives and think "I can't wait til that person dies so I can get some stuff". It's kind of sad when you think about it.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Shouldn't they lose the the case based on this quote alone?

"In 1993's 'NFL Rocks,' Junior Seau offered his opinion on the measure of a punishing hit: 'If I can feel some dizziness, I know that guy is feeling double (that),' " the suit says.

This is pathetic. You have to be warned of the dangers of repeated blows to the head? This is like suing big tobacco for getting lung cancer after being a habitual smoker.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2gs6apgv said:
This is pathetic. You have to be warned of the dangers of repeated blows to the head? This is like suing big tobacco for getting lung cancer after being a habitual smoker.

That never stopped anyone either

morgulon1

Reaction score
Probably didn't help that he blew through his millions and probably left his surviving family members a bankrupt resturaunt.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2snq3ob7 said:
Makes me feel like a prick, but this shit really pisses me off. He knew damn well the dangers and got compensated very well for it. I honestly feel like these law suits could be the downfall of football as we know it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88727 ... uit-vs-nfl

To be honest, I don't think you should really feel like a prick. As everyone here has said, you have to know the risks of playing the sport... These guys decide to play football knowing they are going to be human wrecking balls, then act as though they're the victims of unknown risks. Give me a break.

Doctors knew what a concussion was decades ago and it's pretty f'n obvious it's not going to help you out in the future.

The only way I could see a team or the NFL being held liable is if a player had a concussion and then the team made him play while knowing he had serious brain damage just 7 days before.

Subzero717

Reaction score
morgulon1":o25rpj3p said:
Probably didn't help that he blew through his millions and probably left his surviving family members a bankrupt resturaunt.

Shame on him for that. How dare he not leave any money for his relatives.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seanhawk":39p063jp said:
This is like suing big tobacco for getting lung cancer after being a habitual smoker.
No, there's an actual case to be made against the tobacco companies. Nicotine is physically addictive. Hitting people in the head isn't.

Pstark3

Reaction score
This is stupid.. Isn't there something they sign that says they ACCEPT the risks theyre taking when playing in the NFL?

pinksheets

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ix64yhl said:
Seanhawk":1ix64yhl said:
This is like suing big tobacco for getting lung cancer after being a habitual smoker.
No, there's an actual case to be made against the tobacco companies. Nicotine is physically addictive. Hitting people in the head isn't.
Well, it was also established that big tobacco knew about the extensive dangers and acted to suppress the information.

If we find that the NFL had a ton of information about the long term effects of head injuries that they actively tried to suppress, that's one thing, but I haven't seen that established anywhere.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pinksheets":10nzuh0w said:
Well, it was also established that big tobacco knew about the extensive dangers and acted to suppress the information.

If we find that the NFL had a ton of information about the long term effects of head injuries that they actively tried to suppress, that's one thing, but I haven't seen that established anywhere.

Considering the medical community only started knowing about it like 10 years ago, it's ridiculously unlikely the NFL knew and was sitting on it like the tobacco companies did for decades. Lot of various reasons why, but I'd be shocked to discover that.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Wrongful death suit? Him shooting himself in the chest like a coward was not the fault of the NFL. Everyone has problems in life some choose to deal with their problems and make the most of life others give up trying. There is no way to prove conclusively that his condition was a result solely of play in at the professional level. It could have started anywhere along the line right down to pee wee football. I'm wondering if he was just bad at managing money and the family didn't get a large enough piece of the pie for their liking.

NorCal

Reaction score
Likely wont even get to trial. There is a real statute of limitations issue with this suit.

Latest posts