Here's an oddball pick for Seahawks Back-up Alex Smith

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure he'll go anywhere that he doesn't start, and deservedly so. But, he's mobile, ran zone/pistol/whateveryouwanttocallit at Utah. He's way more athletic than what he's given credit for. I'd take it.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure what his market will be. And, he seems like the type that if he was going to take a back-up role, spite would be a motivation.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I'd love it, but only because I genuinely think he'd be an upgrade at starter for several teams and deserves that chance. The odds he'll agree to be a backup somewhere are minimal IMO.

Happy

Reaction score
He screams bridge quarterback to me. He'll be someone's tjack for a season or two while they put their roster together I reckon.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
sadhappy":11vxm7cw said:
He screams bridge quarterback to me. He'll be someone's tjack for a season or two while they put their roster together I reckon.

Yeah, but where?

Maybe Arizona - but that's where Bevell's going...not sure that's a fit. Jax has a bridge QB in Henne already (he might be more than that). I dont think signing Smith in Buffalo would keep the vultures from circling Nix, so, that's a no.

KC, maybe?

Happy

Reaction score
Good point. There's gonna be a glut of that type of qb on the market this year. Smith, vick, flynn.

On sportstalk radio here in jacksonville they are talking about the jags hiring greg roman as the hc and the speculation is he'll bring smith with him to install his offense.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Damn it, you're right about Roman. I'd take Henne in that case.

kearly

Reaction score
Really doubt it happens. I expect that Smith will have some trade value and he wouldn't be traded to Seattle.

It was either PC or JS that hinted at drafting a QB this year in a recent presser.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I wanted us to sign him last offseason before we signed Flynn. I thought that might severely handicap the 49ers...since at that point, they had no idea what they had with Kaepernick (and he may have struggled more if he had to start from Week 1).

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":2awc40xi said:
Really doubt it happens. I expect that Smith will have some trade value and he wouldn't be traded to Seattle.

It was either PC or JS that hinted at drafting a QB this year in a recent presser.

I'm thinking he gets cut.

drdiags

Reaction score
What type of deal did Alex Smith sign when he went back to the 9ers? 2-3 yr deal? He would not be a bad backup but he would most likely have to be traded unless he signed a 1 yr deal. He could ask to be released but 9ers don't have to comply (if his deal is 2+ years).

If someone traded for Flynn, no reason that same team couldn't have traded for Smith so I cannot envision a swap of the two.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Since JS comes from the Green Bay lineage and I recall Hass talking about how GB always looked to draft a QB to potentially develope, even if it was in later rounds, I would stake my bets on us drafting another QB to develope. That is how they got guys like Hass and Flynn to use as trade bait and I am sure JS would love to start that tradition here as well. That would not rule out bringing in another vet for backup/competition for the right price but I definately see them looking to draft one if at all possible.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
San Fran is against it with the cap a bit, and it pissed in his quiet way about the way he was treated. His deal was real firendly to San Fran, IIRC, they can cut him now with little cap casualty. It was really a 1 year deal dressed as a 3 year deal.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Alex Smith could start on a few teams, doubt he'd sign with us if he was cut. He's better than the starting qb's of Jacksonville, Kansas City, Arizona, Buffalo, Cleveland, Jets, Minnesota

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Killa Kam":1lgj0wa6 said:
Alex Smith could start on a few teams, doubt he'd sign with us if he was cut. He's better than the starting qb's of Jacksonville, Kansas City, Arizona, Buffalo, Cleveland, Jets, Minnesota

I'm better than those QB's too. Doesn't mean a whole lot when the GM/Ownership is incompetent. But, I understand the point.

He's kinda the type Pete alluded too in his postseason presser. He could certainly step in and run that type of offense. It may actually be a better fit.

Basis4day

Reaction score
We would be outbid by a team that needs a starter period.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3cpcvmi4 said:
Anyone think Gus takes him to Jacksonville?

Yeah, I've been thinking that. I'll gladly take the leftover Henne, if that occurs.