Flynn or Sanchez as backup

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Flynn or Sanchez as backup
Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:30 am
  • Would any of you opt to have Mark Sanchez as the backup to Wilson? Sanchez needs to get out of NY, Flynn needs to get out of Seattle (don't think he wants to sit on bench his entire contract) and maybe hooking Sanchez back with Carroll would do him some good.
    "A superstar can win any game; however, a team can win every game".
    Renohawk
    NET Starter

Re: Flynn or Sanchez as backup
Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:31 am
  • No reason Flynn needs to get out of Seattle. No reason to bring in a backup that cant play football.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:33 am
  • Marks Contract is worse then Flynns right now.

Plus do we really want to be that team that has Sanchez in the back. What if he ever had to start..?

Also, i think Flynn is fine where he is. Hes making good money, no risk of injury. He plays on the best team in the NFL, which means if his number is called one day, he'll be ready and happy to step up.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:33 am
  • Are you serious? Have you seen Sanchez's contract? You're practically giving up our entire secondary for a backup.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:35 am
  • I would puke if we picked up Snatchez.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 am
  • As stated above, his contract is terrible. But if he renegotiated it to something befitting his backup status I guess I might be ok with it if Flynn wants out (as I'm sure he does, and I don't blame him)
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 am
  • Pay lots more for a worse player AND put the Jets in a better position to win? Sign me up!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:41 am
  • Lol. Rly!? No.... silly post. Sanchez is hella expensive and he suuuuuuucks.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:42 am
  • Almost every single "He's a USC guy, Carroll will try to get him to Seattle" theory has been wrong. I doubt Carroll even wants him. Carroll has said, and shown with his actions, that he is more likely to undervalue the player based on his experience, rather than overvalue him.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:44 am
  • If Sanchez was willing to take the league minimum, I STILL wouldn't take him as our backup. I would take T-Jack back over Sanchez for twice the price.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:57 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:If Sanchez was willing to take the league minimum, I STILL wouldn't take him as our backup. I would take T-Jack back over Sanchez for twice the price.

Amen. If we DO move Flynn, TJack would be a great choice to back up Rusty IMO.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:01 am
  • While we are at it, may as well put Tebow's name in this post. Carson Palmer is most likely out with the Raiders and Leinhart as well.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:16 am
  • Even if there contracts were the same, a Flynn for Sanchez trade straight up wouldn't make any sense. At least with Flynn, theres still hope he can be a quality starter. With Sanchez, its iffy if he's even a quality back up.

Now if it was a Flynn for Sanchez and a third round pick, that might be worth a look (assuming the Jets eat most of his contract or he takes a pay cut).
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:22 am
  • Please, let's not bring the circus to Seattle (in my Stephen A. Smith voice).

Haha, but seriously, I'd rather keep Flynn, or let PC/JS draft a 5th round QB to backup. I trust that the draft pick will have talent considering our recent draft picks.
    AceBoogie715
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:24 am
  • Sanchez is finished, only a desperate waiver wire team will give him a chance next season. He'll have to renegotiate that contract to even get a chance somewhere else. With Ryan staying, I'm guessing they'll start him again, good new everyone else in the AFCE!

Rather keep Flynn and draft a guy unless someone offered us a good draft pick for Flynn. I still want nothing to do with Sanchez.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:24 am
  • So what was the problem with Portis? Why wouldn't we bring him back, given our current offensive scheme he would seem to be a good fit, and cheap.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:28 am
  • Why would we want a worse backup that's making more money than Flynn?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 am
  • This thread reminds me, shit.... where's LenDale White??? ...or, even better, Matt Lienart?! Who else is a P.O.S. player that went to USC that we can snatch up and pay lots of money for?
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 am
  • Shock2k wrote:So what was the problem with Portis? Why wouldn't we bring him back, given our current offensive scheme he would seem to be a good fit, and cheap.

Usually when a QB is on the PS for 2 years, its because hes cant get any higher. We like to call them "Projects" and "Prospects", but the truth is, PS QB almost never, ever make it higher then a backup, and thats if they are lucky.

He had some ok at bats during the 2011 preseason, but obviously nothing was to be with him after this year.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:32 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    Shock2k wrote:So what was the problem with Portis? Why wouldn't we bring him back, given our current offensive scheme he would seem to be a good fit, and cheap.

Usually when a QB is on the PS for 2 years, its because hes cant get any higher. We like to call them "Projects" and "Prospects", but the truth is, PS QB almost never, ever make it higher then a backup, and thats if they are lucky.

He had some ok at bats during the 2011 preseason, but obviously nothing was to be with him after this year.

Ya, I was just wondering what it was specifically.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:37 am
  • This is pretty funny. From Rotowire on Josh Portis Feb 2012:
    "GM John Schneider insists the Seahawks are "really excited" about the potential of second-year QB Josh Portis."He had a phenomenal preseason," said Schneider, "and made a lot of progress throughout the year as well." Schneider once again emphasized that the team will not make any panic moves at quarterback, such as "giving up draft choices to go get somebody" or "guaranteeing somebody a ton of money that you're not quite sure is the guy that's going to get you over the hump." That would seem to rule out RGIII and Matt Flynn. Thu, Feb 23, 2012 06:18:00 PMSource: Tacoma News Tribune "
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:40 am
  • so do you guys think the Hawks FO will be trading Flynn?? There was some talk on NFL Live last night alluding to such a move . . . Thoughts??
    SkinsGuru
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 am
  • SkinsGuru wrote:so do you guys think the Hawks FO will be trading Flynn?? There was some talk on NFL Live last night alluding to such a move . . . Thoughts??

Nah...I think we keep him. IF we trade him though, I hope it's to follow Tarvaris Jackson over to Buffalo, the guy has been groomed under the top 2 QBs in the NFL right now (Discount Double-check and Russell Wilson), he's going to be good when he gets his chance.
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 am
  • One of our posters broke this down earlier, I can't find the post. Basically it will come down to us being able to free up CAP. If we can't in a move of Flynn we will keep him. There was also talk of getting maybe a 4th rounder (or if lucky a 3rd) for him.

Most likely will shake out after the draft.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 am
  • Are there any diamonds in the ruff that JS/PC can find in the draft?
    "A superstar can win any game; however, a team can win every game".
    Renohawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:19 am
  • ivotuk wrote:I would puke if we picked up Snatchez.

I'm gonna puke if I see another thread about back up QB's.

Christ almighty.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 am
  • Keep Flynn if we can. If we can't I would try and get TJ back. He would be a good backup to Wilson if we lose or trade Flynn.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 am
  • I would keep Flynn unless he demands a trade. Having a capable backup to Wilson is more much more valuable than some extra draft pick that may have to fight to even make the roster on this deep team.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:26 am
  • Flynn is not that big of a hit as you guys are projecting it to be. Because our STARTER RW is making almost minimum pay, It offsets Flynns larger (and not crazy large btw) contract. We have 2 QB's on the Team right now that make a small fraction combined then most teams Starter QB's. There is no reason to get rid of our legit backup right now. He needs to remain one more season, then we project after that.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 am
  • Cartire wrote:Flynn is not that big of a hit as you guys are projecting it to be. Because our STARTER RW is making almost minimum pay, It offsets Flynns larger (and not crazy large btw) contract. We have 2 QB's on the Team right now that make a small fraction combined then most teams Starter QB's. There is no reason to get rid of our legit backup right now. He needs to remain one more season, then we project after that.

This is true, but why not take advantage of that bonus by bringing in a lower priced backup? That way we have more cap space to sign a free agent starter......or to keep one of our own starters.

IMO with Wilson we have an advantage over other teams in regards to cap space........but that's negated if we keep Flynn. Yes he's a good backup, but is THAT much better and/or worth keeping over another suitable backup? That's the argument.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 am
  • Seriously, I'd keep Flynn for at least another year. If that's even an option; looking at the draft, and how many QB hungry teams are out there, I can seriously see someone coughing up a 2nd rounder for Flynn this year.

Looking at the names out there: TJack, Leinart, Palmer, Cassell, throw in Sanchez......Flynn is better than any of them by a fairly wide margin. Keeping Flynn is a safe way to hedge your bets that the NFL figures Wilson out next year, an injury, or a sophomore slump.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:39 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Cartire wrote:Flynn is not that big of a hit as you guys are projecting it to be. Because our STARTER RW is making almost minimum pay, It offsets Flynns larger (and not crazy large btw) contract. We have 2 QB's on the Team right now that make a small fraction combined then most teams Starter QB's. There is no reason to get rid of our legit backup right now. He needs to remain one more season, then we project after that.

This is true, but why not take advantage of that bonus by bringing in a lower priced backup? That way we have more cap space to sign a free agent starter......or to keep one of our own starters.

IMO with Wilson we have an advantage over other teams in regards to cap space........but that's negated if we keep Flynn. Yes he's a good backup, but is THAT much better and/or worth keeping over another suitable backup? That's the argument.

But we have no cap hits next year. Almost our whole team is rolling over again into next year. The only notables that need new contacts are Jason Jones and, I cant think of who else. Why would we need to sign an expensive free agent starter? Im sure we will grab some guys, but we dont need to break the bank to get anyone. We hold onto flynn for one more year (cause you never know what will happen) since it doesnt hurt us at all, and then we can start looking somewhere else when we need can free up some more space.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:46 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    But we have no cap hits next year. Almost our whole team is rolling over again into next year. The only notables that need new contacts are Jason Jones and, I cant think of who else. Why would we need to sign an expensive free agent starter? Im sure we will grab some guys, but we dont need to break the bank to get anyone. We hold onto flynn for one more year (cause you never know what will happen) since it doesnt hurt us at all, and then we can start looking somewhere else when we need can free up some more space.

This is a great young team, but by no means is there not room for improvement.

- We still need a top tier burner type WR opposite of Rice that can stretch the field
    - The right side of our OL could be upgraded
    - Our LB corp is thin, and Hill isn't getting any younger. That position could be upgraded.

You get my point, if there's a big named free agent out there I'd like as much cap space as possible to land him. Carroll and Schneider have proven that they can upgrade through the draft. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't go after free agents if available.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:49 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    You get my point, if there's a big named free agent out there I'd like as much cap space as possible to land him. Carroll and Schneider have proven that they can upgrade through the draft. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't go after free agents if available.

I would hope that Schneider follows his Green Bay roots when it comes to FA. Avoid the big payday names and get the depth that fits the team. Use FA as rarely as possible, and only when the opportunity and cost mesh with the team's overall philosophy.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:55 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I would hope that Schneider follows his Green Bay roots when it comes to FA. Avoid the big payday names and get the depth that fits the team. Use FA as rarely as possible, and only when the opportunity and cost mesh with the team's overall philosophy.

Mostly agree, but if we have a chance to bring in a Bowe or Wallace type that won't break the bank? How can you pass that up?

You're right though, it's obvious that Schneider is staying true to his GB roots with building a super strong foundation through the draft at every position, then adding pieces.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Mostly agree, but if we have a chance to bring in a Bowe or Wallace type that won't break the bank? How can you pass that up?

You're right though, it's obvious that Schneider is staying true to his GB roots with building a super strong foundation through the draft at every position, then adding pieces.

Bowe will break the bank and Wallace is on the Decline. Having Bowe would be nice, but not worth the pocket book. Wallace is the next Branch and Hucsh if he comes here.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 am
  • theres no reason to pay flynn 6.5 million next season or 7.25 million the year after that when we could be spending that on a position like DT which needs a serious upgrade for next year.
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:02 am
  • mike wallace will be the steal of free agency next season if he goes somewhere with a true qb and passing game.. wideouts that can stretch the field like him but still run any other route you tell him to all while having pretty good hands dont come along very often.. "on the decline" i disagree completely.. bad contract.. not getting along with the coach.. backup qbs throwing to him half the season... those are the only reasons his numbers were down this year. im really hoping we take a flier on this kid.. he would immediately give wilson a huge weapon that would match up with his long ball very well and make our wr core elite.
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:07 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    Bowe will break the bank and Wallace is on the Decline. Having Bowe would be nice, but not worth the pocket book. Wallace is the next Branch and Hucsh if he comes here.

Wallace is only 26, so not sure why you think he's on the decline. Not his best year, but Worthlessberger was hurt or stunk most of 2012.........so not Wallace's fault.

I wouldn't break the bank for the guy, but I'd love to have him. Bowe is older, so I DEFINITELY wouldn't sign him unless the price and contract length was right.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:09 am
  • It would have to be reasonable for Wallace. As of right now, all three of our starting WRs are stretching the field. Do they blow by defenders and become wide open all the time ? No, but Sydney does when healthy (he's dinged right now, but that's not unusual for NFL players...overall he's been remarkably healthy this year), and Tate and Baldwin are winning jump balls downfield deep.

It's not all about getting an elite guy to go out there and crush the secondary (although that's nice). It's about scheme; our run game predicates how open our guys get downfield. Personally, I'd like a taller, bigger guy like BMW was that can run underneath and intermediate stuff and dominate one on one matchups. It would also be nice if our TEs continue to progress and get better (read: more consistent). You can only send so many guys deep. Say we sign Wallace; do we just run Rice on the other side and run them both deep ? Rice becomes an intermediate/underneath guy ?
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:14 am
  • I think the bigger cap question might be do we bring back Rice as our big money wr or look at some free agents who might produce more for the $$. Rice has played pretty well and stayed healthy for the most part.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:19 am
  • Theoretically only: IF Mark were willing to dump his current contract to come to Seattle, and IF Pete and John agreed to that, would you be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the decision?
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am
  • Hawks46 wrote:
    It's not all about getting an elite guy to go out there and crush the secondary (although that's nice). It's about scheme; our run game predicates how open our guys get downfield. Personally, I'd like a taller, bigger guy like BMW was that can run underneath and intermediate stuff and dominate one on one matchups. It would also be nice if our TEs continue to progress and get better (read: more consistent). You can only send so many guys deep. Say we sign Wallace; do we just run Rice on the other side and run them both deep ? Rice becomes an intermediate/underneath guy ?

The more talent and speed you have at the WR position, the better. It not only gives the QB more options, but it forces the defense to not cheat and double cover Rice because they know we don't have a burner that can get behind the defense.

Tate's sneaky quick, but he's not a burner like Wallace that can stretch the defense on a regular basis.

It's a fun conversation to have, and I don't think anyone's saying to break the bank for a guy like Wallace. Probably a moot point, I'm sure there will be a stupid team like the Jets or Raiders that'll pay him $10,000,000 a year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:22 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:If Sanchez was willing to take the league minimum, I STILL wouldn't take him as our backup. I would take T-Jack back over Sanchez for twice the price.

hahaha, never thought I would say that but yes I agree !
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:27 am
  • I'd rather have pehawk at backup QB than Mark Sanchez

If they are able to trade Flynn, there will be some vet backups out there they can get for cheap
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 am
  • What if the Jets offered us a 2nd rounder and Sanchez for Flynn?

I'm not a Sanchez fan at this point - but what if we could take a gamble (that we wont need a starting caliber backup) to land a pretty solid (assuming the Jets will be mediocre with Flynn) 2nd rounder. The Sanchez contract is bad, but it's not too much worse dollar wise than Flynn, correct?

I'm not advocating for this, but what if?
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:25 pm
  • I'll stick with Matt. Even though Wilson emerged as the starter, Flynn still has talent.
    Flynn is an unknown, Sanchez has been proven to be terrible.
    BeastMode247
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:23 pm
  • I wouldn't want Sanchez, but he's probably someone that PC would like, if not only for a project.
    Bobblehead
    NET Starter

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information