Running up the score against the Niners.

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Running up the score against the Niners.
Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:06 pm
  • What with all the ESPN critisism against the Seahawks for supposedly running up the score against AZ in CenturyLink, an important issue in this nationally televised matchup against the Niners will be: When do we take our foot off the gas? Is it when we are up by three touchdowns at the end of the first quarter? Is there some blowout threshold we must not transgress in order to avoid ESPN critisism? What happens if we host a playoff game or two in CenturyLink? Must we maintain the blowout threshold to avoid ESPN critisism?
    SEAHAWKS SHOULD TRADE TERRELLE PRYOR TO RAMS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/08/27/ ... -the-rams/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• Meh. Two of the three on ESPN that were talking about it defended us on that point. It was mostly just Herm Edwards being stupid.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• Never let off the gas against the 9ers, beat them down all 4 quarters
    Go SeaHawks
    SeaChase
    NET Rookie

• It is my belief that no team should ever "let off the gas". When you are up by enough, you put in your backups and let them play, but you don't stop playing. Now, I'm not a proponent of getting receivers killed with passes across the middle where you leave your receivers defenseless, but you still play the game. If they can't stop your backups, that's the losing team's problem, not the winning team
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I want to make Harbaugh say "what's your deal".
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• CANHawk wrote:I want to make Harbaugh say "what's your deal".

I'd rather just see him so livid and red-faced that he can't speak at all...

edited for grammar. Sigh.
    Last edited by gtcotcakya on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    gtcotcakya
    NET Rookie

• At no point in time do you let up on SF. Get up early and then keep amputating limbs until they're left a headless, armless, legless corpse of a football team. And then dance in the pool of blood.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• MidwestHawker wrote:Meh. Two of the three on ESPN that were talking about it defended us on that point. It was mostly just Herm Edwards being stupid.

Mostly just Herm Edwards being Herm Edwards in other words.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• bellingerga wrote:
    MidwestHawker wrote:Meh. Two of the three on ESPN that were talking about it defended us on that point. It was mostly just Herm Edwards being stupid.

Mostly just Herm Edwards being Herm Edwards in other words.

Exactly. I was using lazy shorthand.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:It is my belief that no team should ever "let off the gas". When you are up by enough, you put in your backups and let them play, but you don't stop playing. Now, I'm not a proponent of getting receivers killed with passes across the middle where you leave your receivers defenseless, but you still play the game. If they can't stop your backups, that's the losing team's problem, not the winning team

Yup.

I really don't get the indignation about running up the score. In school, sure, call the game off at half time or whatever, but in the pros, no way. People pay a lot of money for the privilege of watching football and if a team is too pathetic to put on a show then the other team should be obliged to pick up the slack and chuck in the backups with the goal being to try to break as many records as possible. See if you can hit 100 points or pass for 700 yards or something. If a team puts in as bad a performance as the Cardinals did they should feel guilty about making people pay a stackload of money to watch them and be forced to take whatever humiliation is dished out to them. The paying public shouldn't expect to watch teams effectively take a knee for the second half just because one team sucks.

With the salary cap and draft etc there is absolutely no excuse for getting annihilated asides from somebody (or bodies) being way out of their depth.
    Last edited by Hawkspur on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

• Drop a 60 burger on em.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• I have fantasies about beating the Whiners by like, five scores. Seriously. I want to do it so badly, I hate their fan base. Compare the Niners "fans" that come to this forum during rivalry week, as compared to the Patriots fans we got earlier this year. Talk about night and day.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• No way is this game gonna' be a blowout, would love it of course. I'm thinking 16-13, something like that. Hawks of course
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SeaChase wrote:Never let off the gas against the 9ers, beat them down all 4 quarters

Then when you've scored the 7th touchdown, go for two.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• The only time we take our foot off the gas against the Niners is when we hit the brakes to backup over their carcass again.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

• My ultimate dream scenario for the 23rd (which happens to be Harbaugh's birthday) is him saying "what's your deal to PC"
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• This thread is funny
    NorCal
    NET Rookie

• Next week we need to return this string to the main forum.
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• It's interesting from a pyschological viewpoint why fans of team 'A' hate fans of team 'B'. The level of hatred is clearly proportional to the rivalry, so we'll see things like Seahawk fans saying Patriot fans are cool, while Ravens and Jets fans don't think very highly of their rivals to the north.

It's just another facet of tribalism, which we see in politics, sports, or that creation vs. evolution stuff. We all belong to different sets of tribes, and political parties attempt to align their 'beliefs' with those of the most populous tribes (I presume by polling and learning from election results).

So while I don't understand why you guys would prefer to be fans of a team like the Seahawks when you could be fans of the 49ers, the greatest team of all time with the greatest fans ever, I would never hold it against you, especially if I ever run for office.
    49fansince70
    NET Practice Squad

• NorCal wrote:This thread is funny

Agreed. If the Hawks won this game by 4, it would feel like we ran up the score to me. We are not good enough to be talking about blowing out the Niners.

Some dudes are still high on the 58-0 smoke.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• 49fansince70 wrote:It's interesting from a pyschological viewpoint why fans of team 'A' hate fans of team 'B'. The level of hatred is clearly proportional to the rivalry, so we'll see things like Seahawk fans saying Patriot fans are cool, while Ravens and Jets fans don't think very highly of their rivals to the north.

It's just another facet of tribalism, which we see in politics, sports, or that creation vs. evolution stuff. We all belong to different sets of tribes, and political parties attempt to align their 'beliefs' with those of the most populous tribes (I presume by polling and learning from election results).

So while I don't understand why you guys would prefer to be fans of a team like the Seahawks when you could be fans of the 49ers, the greatest team of all time with the greatest fans ever, I would never hold it against you, especially if I ever run for office.

Most of you guys weren't saying that a couple years ago...most weren't saying anything at all.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• 49fansince70 wrote:so we'll see things like Seahawk fans saying Patriot fans are cool,

No, seriously; the Patriots fans that came here WERE cool. Significantly friendlier and more intelligent in debating than any other franchise I've ever seen come to this forum. It surprised all of us. If it makes you feel better to think it's just a result of a lack of rivalry, however, then by all means; don't let me stop you.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• rideaducati wrote:
    SeaChase wrote:Never let off the gas against the 9ers, beat them down all 4 quarters

Then when you've scored the 7th touchdown, go for two.

Yes! :)
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• What's your deal? U mad bro?
    Carhanu21
    NET Bench Warmer

• NorCal wrote:This thread is funny

It is fun and funny.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    49fansince70 wrote:so we'll see things like Seahawk fans saying Patriot fans are cool,

No, seriously; the Patriots fans that came here WERE cool. Significantly friendlier and more intelligent in debating than any other franchise I've ever seen come to this forum. It surprised all of us. If it makes you feel better to think it's just a result of a lack of rivalry, however, then by all means; don't let me stop you.

I imagine fans are more civil with each other when their teams aren't big rivals. All I'm saying is, if you were to draw up a bell curve with obnoxious fans on one side, and cordial fans on the other, the curves would be similar for fans of all teams.
    49fansince70
    NET Practice Squad

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    49fansince70 wrote:so we'll see things like Seahawk fans saying Patriot fans are cool,

Yeah they were very surprisingly nice and knowledgable
    twelfman
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• 49fansince70 wrote:So while I don't understand why you guys would prefer to be fans of a team like the Seahawks when you could be fans of the 49ers, the greatest team of all time with the greatest fans ever, I would never hold it against you, especially if I ever run for office.

:pukeface:
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:
    49fansince70 wrote:It's interesting from a pyschological viewpoint why fans of team 'A' hate fans of team 'B'. The level of hatred is clearly proportional to the rivalry, so we'll see things like Seahawk fans saying Patriot fans are cool, while Ravens and Jets fans don't think very highly of their rivals to the north.

Most of you guys weren't saying that a couple years ago...most weren't saying anything at all.

Yeah. funny how many crickets we could hear from their direction for the decade before last year. Look up the word "bandwagon" in the dictionary and you'll see a Whiner's picture.

I appreciate Niner fans like BOX or a few others that come onto a SEAHAWKS fan site and offer reasoned opposition insight, but all the rest of these a-hole trolls: just go AWAY! You won't see me posting on their sites with homer BS, are they really THAT insecure that they have to do that?
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• Yes they are that insecure
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• gargantual wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    49fansince70 wrote:It's interesting from a pyschological viewpoint why fans of team 'A' hate fans of team 'B'. The level of hatred is clearly proportional to the rivalry, so we'll see things like Seahawk fans saying Patriot fans are cool, while Ravens and Jets fans don't think very highly of their rivals to the north.

Yeah. funny how many crickets we could hear from their direction for the decade before last year. Look up the word "bandwagon" in the dictionary and you'll see a Whiner's picture.

I appreciate Niner fans like BOX or a few others that come onto a SEAHAWKS fan site and offer reasoned opposition insight, but all the rest of these a-hole trolls: just go AWAY! You won't see me posting on their sites with homer BS, are they really THAT insecure that they have to do that?

I'm dismayed that my ironic comment (the one in bold) was taken so literally.
    49fansince70
    NET Practice Squad

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Drop a 60 burger on em.

You beat the Bills by 33. Well done. We beat them by 42. You are not playing a bad team this time, and we have a better quarterback than the last time you played us. This will not be a blow out. Both of these teams are too good for a blow out to occur, but Russel Wilson and the Seahawks are NOT Tom Brady and the Patriots. I doubt you even get much past 20.

Scottemojo wrote:
    NorCal wrote:This thread is funny

Agreed. If the Hawks won this game by 4, it would feel like we ran up the score to me. We are not good enough to be talking about blowing out the Niners.

I was here a couple of years ago. :th2thumbs:

But really, this rivalry is new ground here. We were always concerned about the Cardinals, not the Seahawks, and with the connection between the two teams during the late 90s (Holmgren, Ricky Watters, etc) I often found myself rooting for you guys when the 49ers were eliminated. But now? Now both teams are good. Rivalry Mode Engaged.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Starter

• :lol:
    Young2Rice
    NET Rookie

• I love the Rivalry between the Seahawks/Niners, it's a true rivalry given how both teams are built and how physical they play
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• LOL - Hand 50 on Arizona and Buffalo and Seahawks fans think their offense is hot shit and can run up the score against the best defense in the NFL. Laughable.
    Alex "the bust" Smith could have put a 50 spot (45) on Buffalo if the 49ers were classless and wanted to run up the score.
    patranus
    NET Bench Warmer

• patranus wrote:LOL - Hand 50 on Arizona and Buffalo and Seahawks fans think their offense is hot shit and can run up the score against the best defense in the NFL. Laughable.
    Alex "the bust" Smith could have put a 50 spot (45) on Buffalo if the 49ers were classless and wanted to run up the score.

Listen here, Pat R. Anus, The Hawks eased up to keep the score to 50. Every coach we drop 50 on is going to get fired, so we will probably keep the numbers against the Digits a little lower. But only because we want to keep Harbaugh around a little longer.

By the end of the next game, you will be begging for Alex to be your starter again.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• RolandDeschain wrote:I have fantasies about beating the Whiners by like, five scores. Seriously. I want to do it so badly, I hate their fan base. Compare the Niners "fans" that come to this forum during rivalry week, as compared to the Patriots fans we got earlier this year. Talk about night and day.

Please. The Seahawks fans that troll our boards are by far the most absurd fans of all. Last season we endured crap talk all season and the Seahawks weren't even winning. Not even legit football talk just trolling and hating just to hate. Then the classless fans came back to taunt us after we lost in the NFC championship. As if the Seahawks had gotten anywhere near that game or the playoffs.

Talks of blowouts and running up the score on us in this thread is some of the most laughable stuff I have read in awhile.

Would be lucky to break 27 on our defense and certainly not the 50+ some of you are talking about. Seriously? Carroll shamelessly ran up the score on two blowout prone teams. Wont get anywhere near that against us don't see how you can say otherwise.
    BayArea
    NET Bench Warmer

• BayArea wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I have fantasies about beating the Whiners by like, five scores. Seriously. I want to do it so badly, I hate their fan base. Compare the Niners "fans" that come to this forum during rivalry week, as compared to the Patriots fans we got earlier this year. Talk about night and day.

Please. The Seahawks fans that troll our boards are by far the most absurd fans of all. Last season we endured crap talk all season and the Seahawks weren't even winning. Not even legit football talk just trolling and hating just to hate. Then the classless fans came back to taunt us after we lost in the NFC championship. As if the Seahawks had gotten anywhere near that game or the playoffs.

Talks of blowouts and running up the score on us in this thread is some of the most laughable stuff I have read in awhile.

Would be lucky to break 27 on our defense and certainly not the 50+ some of you are talking about. Seriously? Carroll shamelessly ran up the score on two blowout prone teams. Wont get anywhere near that against us don't see how you can say otherwise.

Exactly what we get on this end.

We've finally found a few of you that come here we can just talk football with and we prefer that. I think you'll find for the most part its the younger posters that tend to be like that. Not pointing fingers but it seems true.

Yes we're rivals but I was on the field with John Brodie while in the Coast Guard in Alameda in the 60s. so have a soft spot in my heart for fans of that era.

:les:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• patranus wrote:LOL - Hand 50 on Arizona and Buffalo and Seahawks fans think their offense is hot shit and can run up the score against the best defense in the NFL. Laughable.

Aww but you've had your dumbassed days this season too. Don't be so quick to take offense.

you don't have to be offensive about it either. Can't we just have football conversations and be done with it?

Funny no one here has said a word to you about the pityful times you had just 2 years ago and before. We realize we all have our time. Yours actually was during the 80s but you have done little since until now. But the book is still being written.

Telling us now well you did years ago doesn't wash with us here.

:roll:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Scottemojo wrote:
    patranus wrote:LOL - Hand 50 on Arizona and Buffalo and Seahawks fans think their offense is hot shit and can run up the score against the best defense in the NFL. Laughable.

Listen here, Pat R. Anus, The Hawks eased up to keep the score to 50. Every coach we drop 50 on is going to get fired, so we will probably keep the numbers against the Digits a little lower. But only because we want to keep Harbaugh around a little longer.

By the end of the next game, you will be begging for Alex to be your starter again.

LOL. oh stop it you.
    FriscosFinest
    NET Rookie

• FriscosFinest wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    patranus wrote:LOL - Hand 50 on Arizona and Buffalo and Seahawks fans think their offense is hot shit and can run up the score against the best defense in the NFL. Laughable.

LOL. oh stop it you.

Spoken like a true San Franciscan.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Starter

• FriscosFinest wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:

LOL. oh stop it you.

I have to give the credit to patranus for the setup. I mean really, a board name with Anus in it? Too easy. I am a little ashamed, really.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:Spoken like a true San Franciscan.

LOL, good one. :th2thumbs:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Drop a 60 burger on em.

You beat the Bills by 33. Well done. We beat them by 42. You are not playing a bad team this time, and we have a better quarterback than the last time you played us. This will not be a blow out. Both of these teams are too good for a blow out to occur, but Russel Wilson and the Seahawks are NOT Tom Brady and the Patriots. I doubt you even get much past 20.

Scottemojo wrote:
    NorCal wrote:This thread is funny

I was here a couple of years ago. :th2thumbs:

But really, this rivalry is new ground here. We were always concerned about the Cardinals, not the Seahawks, and with the connection between the two teams during the late 90s (Holmgren, Ricky Watters, etc) I often found myself rooting for you guys when the 49ers were eliminated. But now? Now both teams are good. Rivalry Mode Engaged.

We have a better qb this time too.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• Shaz wrote:I love the Rivalry between the Seahawks/Niners, it's a true rivalry given how both teams are built and how physical they play

As much as many Seahawk fans think their is a rivalry between the 49ers and Hawks..its not tue. Not until the Seahawks win a few Lombardi or 3 0r 4 or even 5 they will be not considered in the same class as the Steelers ,Cowboys and 49ers. The 49ers only rival these two teams..WIN ONE and be considered in this conversation. IM SORRY IF THAT HURTS!
    49erFanFromPac
    NET Bench Warmer

• 49erFanFromPac wrote:
    Shaz wrote:I love the Rivalry between the Seahawks/Niners, it's a true rivalry given how both teams are built and how physical they play

As much as many Seahawk fans think their is a rivalry between the 49ers and Hawks..its not tue. Not until the Seahawks win a few Lombardi or 3 0r 4 or even 5 they will be not considered in the same class as the Steelers ,Cowboys and 49ers. The 49ers only rival these two teams..WIN ONE and be considered in this conversation. IM SORRY IF THAT HURTS!

IMO, we have one Lombardi

Might not be official, but in my mind we do have one.
    jawilljr
    NET Practice Squad

• CANHawk wrote:I want to make Harbaugh say "what's your deal".

lol
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• They aren't the Cardinals or the Bills. We won't be running up the score on them.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Next

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:44 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information