Greg Jennings won't take frinchise tag

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Greg Jennings won't take frinchise tag
Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 pm
  • If he indeed doesn't work something out with packers brass in the off-season, what do you guys think about him as a Seahawk under say something like a 3 Year 25 million contract
    We all we got, We all we need
    Sea12Hawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• no
    ProckHawks
    NET Rookie

• He's almost 30 or is already. He's prone to getting hurt. We need to draft a new play maker. We don't need two injury prone wideouts with big contracts.
    ProckHawks
    NET Rookie

• Too olllldddd
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• I agree. No. I'd like to get a young stud that builds a repore with RW hat will be a combo for years to come. Maybe Tate can fill that role
    bingotown
    NET Rookie

• Pass, let Schneider and Pete find the next Jennings or better WR.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• Yeah his career seems to be coming to a quick ending. Injuries haven't helped but I'm pretty sure he's their #4 WR now. I can see him going to a team like the Jags or Bills for whoever pays the most and end his career as a #2/3.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• I love Jennings but he's more injury prone than Rice.

If we go for a FA, I'd much prefer Welker or Mike Wallace
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• He absolutely isn't as injury prone as Rice. This is the first season he won't play at least 13 games.

I'm not crazy about the WR group coming out in the draft, but there's lots of slot type guys.

I'd sign Jennings to 3 years if we could afford it. I don't think he'd be too pricey, honestly. There's lots of FA WR this year that fall in the top 3 tiers (compared to most seasons).

Whatever happens, Schneider knows him well, and would make the right decision.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• He has time left. And dude can play.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• nanomoz wrote:He absolutely isn't as injury prone as Rice. This is the first season he won't play at least 13 games.

I'm not crazy about the WR group coming out in the draft, but there's lots of slot type guys.

I'd sign Jennings to 3 years if we could afford it. I don't think he'd be too pricey, honestly. There's lots of FA WR this year that fall in the top 3 tiers (compared to most seasons).

i like welker alot but he is going to be quite pricey and mike wallace's production has been decreasing the last few years despite seeing more targets
    Sea12Hawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• Hasselbeck wrote:I love Jennings but he's more injury prone than Rice.

If we go for a FA, I'd much prefer Welker or Mike Wallace

i like welker alot but he is going to be quite pricey and mike wallace's production has been decreasing the last few years despite seeing more targets
    Sea12Hawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• i don't see many great wideouts via the draft outside of a few that are gunna go in the first round, and it's hard for me to imagine pc and js spending a first rounder on a wideout just given their recent tactics in the draft
    Sea12Hawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• Injuries and age considered, you are probably looking at 5/60 territory for Jennings. Green Bay will not let him walk easily.

I like this WR draft class. I have a hunch John Schneider does too.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• nanomoz wrote:He absolutely isn't as injury prone as Rice. This is the first season he won't play at least 13 games.

I take it back. Not sure who I'm confusing Jennings with, but you're right.. really hasn't had a great deal of injury concerns until this season
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Nope. Time to get a young buck in the draft.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Tavon Austin. He's a playmaker. Faster than heck, great hands. Just because he's small doesn't mean he has to be a "slot guy". He can outrun anybody in the NFL I think. I'd draft him before signing an older receiver.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• SharkHawk wrote:Tavon Austin. He's a playmaker. Faster than heck, great hands. Just because he's small doesn't mean he has to be a "slot guy". He can outrun anybody in the NFL I think. I'd draft him before signing an older receiver.

i would like someone who could beat people deep for RW to throw to
    Sea12Hawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• I want Fitz/megatron catches everything around him type player. I will take Mike Williams a la the bears game where he had 15 catches. Don't care if he is a burner, YAC guy or anything else, just make the tough catch.

edit: I realized I was describing Joe Jurivicious. I want Joe Jurivicious.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Re: Greg Jennings won't take frinchise tag
Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 am
  • you guys are crazy. jennings would instantly be our best receiver.
    GeorgeKush
    NET Rookie

• SharkHawk wrote:Tavon Austin. He's a playmaker. Faster than heck, great hands. Just because he's small doesn't mean he has to be a "slot guy". He can outrun anybody in the NFL I think. I'd draft him before signing an older receiver.

Sounds like Mike Wallace but Veteran. Would rather sign a WR in FA instead of using draft picks on D.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings would be awesome, but the thing is, they are going to try look for the teams that pays a lot of $$$$$$$$$$.

Like Vincent Jacksons deal this season in FA. 5 years for 55mill.

Welker would be old, and I dont really have faith in Bowe.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• No way
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

• We can get a young Greg Jennings by drafting DeAndre Hopkins or Markus Wheaton.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• GeorgeKush wrote:you guys are crazy. jennings would instantly be our best receiver.

Anybody get offended when I said "you guys are crazy"? If so I apologize. If you are one of those guys substitute "crazy" for "silly" because I meant it in a friendly manner. It is sort of difficult to change the tone of a word on the internet.
    GeorgeKush
    NET Rookie

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:We can get a young Greg Jennings by drafting DeAndre Hopkins or Markus Wheaton.

After watching some highlight vids with OP I gotta say that I think DeAndre Hopkins is more like Julio Jones than Greg Jennings, but I totally agree with the comparison for Markus Wheaton. Still though, with the restructured rookie contracts, especially if the Hawks wait till a latter round to grab a WR, I think the Hawks would be able to afford Jennings; maybe.

I get that he is older than Pete Carroll likes, he's 30 and will be 31 before the season starts, but Jennings still has something left in the tank. A lot of his lack of production since returning from injury has come about because of the emergence of Randal Cobb more so than any fall off in Jennings' abilities.

On the injury front he is not all that injury prone, last year he had a hamstring issue, but a lot of big name receivers also had an issue with hamstrings last year *cough*Andre Johnson/ Miles Austin/ Julio Jones*cough* And this year the groin injury that kept him out so long really wasn't completely due to the injury itself, but rather that the surgery had to be postponed because of Hurricane Sandy (Doctor and facilities were located on East Coast), and also because the injury was initially misdiagnosed by the Packers' training staff.

Through six years with the Packers Jennings has never started less than 11 games in a season (Rookie year), and has played in 13 or more games every year with the exclusion of this year. In the 3 year stretch (08-10) that he played in all 16 games he averaged 1223.3 receiving yards, 8 TD's, and 75 catches through that three year span. And posted averages of 16.2, 16.4, and 16.6 yards per catch respectively. Also that three year span was book ended by two 13 games played, and started, season in which he posted yardage in the mid 900 range. [all stats taken from his player page on: http://www.nfl.com/player/gregjennings/2495867/profile.

Personally I think that the Seahawks WR core would greatly benefit from the ability to pick Jennings' brain, the guy is one of the most intelligent receivers I've seen play the game. Plus as a Packer fan, I'd just love to be able to head over to CenturyLink on Sundays to see one of my favorite players from the last decade play. This year has by far been his worst year for Jennings, and if you look at his career numbers is basically a statistical anomaly, please don't judge his ability solely on this year's production.

PS, if you guys manage to grab Tavon Austin, wow. That's all I got to say about that kid.
    Last edited by NWCheeseHead on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    NWCheeseHead
    NET Bench Warmer

• This isn't how Schneider does things. If he was a young talent he would get a competitive offer like Schneider made to Brandon Marshall. I figured by now some fans would understand how we build this team. Jennings will make big money on some lesser team trying to recreate his prime.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

• I'd avoid Jennings and Welker not that they aren't good but, that there getting older and beat up. they seem very system oriented as well especially Welker take him out of that offense and I think he becomes less of a factor on another team, not bad mind you just not as great. Jennings i'd avoid altogether because I think he'll want a lot of money. At that high of a price i'd rather see Bowe or Wallace because of youth alone but talent would be close to if not on the same level as Jennings as well. Drafting seems like a more likely route in terms of the teams philosophy.
    SeahawkGeoff
    NET Practice Squad

• SEC FAN wrote:This isn't how Schneider does things. If he was a young talent he would get a competitive offer like Schneider made to Brandon Marshall. I figured by now some fans would understand how we build this team. Jennings will make big money on some lesser team trying to recreate his prime.

Seahawks do bring in some vets through FA from time to time. Most of them just haven't worked out. [e.g. Terrell Owens (age 39), Braylon Edwards (Age 29), and Kellen Winslow Jr. (Age 29) just to name a few recent ones off the top of my head].
    Last edited by NWCheeseHead on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    NWCheeseHead
    NET Bench Warmer

• I wouldn't mind him but I just don't see it happening.
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information