Is the NFC East gonna put another 7-9 team in the playoffs?

sutz

Reaction score
Starting to look like it could happen.

Rat

Reaction score
I hope not, because I have always kind of liked having that record, but I guess we'll always be the first.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Rat":218tb289 said:
I hope not, because I have always kind of liked having that record, but I guess we'll always be the first.
Didn't someone else do that since?

Rat

Reaction score
sutz":3gbgdub1 said:
Rat":3gbgdub1 said:

Yes, the Panthers did once, but it was with a slightly better record (7-8-1). I believe they won their playoff game too (granted, their opponent was down to their third string QB), so maybe there's something to be said for it.

Polaris

Reaction score
Rat":2vgh19ty said:
sutz":2vgh19ty said:
Rat":2vgh19ty said:

Yes, the Panthers did once, but it was with a slightly better record (7-8-1). I believe they won their playoff game too (granted, their opponent was down to their third string QB), so maybe there's something to be said for it.

That's right. The Panthers made it as NFC South Champs with a 7-8-1 record and beat the Arizona Cardinals that year. That was the 2014 season.

94Smith

Reaction score
The sad part is either the 49ers or the Hawks are likely going to have to go on the road to play these bums!

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":35ut3kw0 said:
The sad part is either the 49ers or the Hawks are likely going to have to go on the road to play these bums!

The most concerning thing about that is that the 2010 Seahawks beat the defending champs! The 2014 Panthers also beat the Cards, but Ryan Lindley was their QB, so they were a shell of themselves.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
94Smith":1ixxz2h2 said:

The good news is they will probably win on the road vs. these guys. Both teams would. It's weak competition. The NFC East can't hold a candle to our division. It's not even in the same category.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
They might well do that. The NFC East is pretty bad. Maybe it will be the Cowboys and I'm not impressed by them. They have a lot of flaws IMO and are very beatable. To me something is wrong with the system. A 7 - 9 team should NOT host a 13 - 3 team at home in the playoffs just because they won an ultra weak division. I think a better system is you take the top 6 seeds in each conference and they are in. Then you seed it with the top 2 records get the bye and the rest are wild card teams. This argument has been made before and the NFL has actually talked about it but never did anything about it. Mostly because of tradition.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":18ixf22v said:
They might well do that. The NFC East is pretty bad. Maybe it will be the Cowboys and I'm not impressed by them. They have a lot of flaws IMO and are very beatable. To me something is wrong with the system. A 7 - 9 team should NOT host a 13 - 3 team at home in the playoffs just because they won an ultra weak division. I think a better system is you take the top 6 seeds in each conference and they are in. Then you seed it with the top 2 records get the bye and the rest are wild card teams. This argument has been made before and the NFL has actually talked about it but never did anything about it. Mostly because of tradition.
If you have divisions, they need to mean something. :229031_shrug:

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
sutz":1slzx5da said:
SanDiego49er":1slzx5da said:
If you have divisions, they need to mean something. :229031_shrug:

7 - 9 should not host 13 - 3. That's ridiculous. Divisions were mostly set up for travel. They were originally set up in similar areas. Like west coast teams. Or Midwest teams. Or Northeast teams. Or South teams. That's what it was for. You could travel within the division in not to far of a distance. This made it convenient and easy and more practical for the teams, local TV, fans traveling and so on.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Bums? I remember a certain 7-9 team who was a 12 point underdog knocking of the Super Bowl Champs.
I can see where it seems lame that a 7-9 team hosts a 11 or 12 win team. However, if you can't beat a 7-9 team, you don't deserve to be in the SuperbOwl regardless.