Jimmy G

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:39 am
  • Awful lot of speculation by both Hawk fans and 49er fans here after being 11 months out of ACL surgery and only one preseason performance. Seems to me the 49er fans are afraid Jimmy G will be a bust and the Hawk fans are afraid he won't be.
    Washington49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:43 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:^^^^ Agreed with what you're saying, but this is also kinda the reverse of what Chris is doing also.

    "Well Kaepernick looked good for a year and then he sucked" isn't really that different far off from "Well Matt Ryan looked bad in this offense for a year and then looked great in it for a year."

    And I know I'm engaging in the same small sample size meaning making and dime story psychoanalyzing that I'm always arguing against, but I do *kinda* suspect that part of what's going on is JG isn't nearly as even keeled as he comes off and as Shanahan keeps insisting he is.

    By that, I mean that last year he got shook by the picks in week 1, and then was afraid to the throw the ball and took a ton of sacks in week 2. After the two first throws last night he also seemed pretty shook to me and deep in his feelings -- there was not point leaving him in longer because he was already shot.

    He comes ACROSS as very even keeled -- let's be honest, he comes across like a total handsome idiot type -- but I'm also more open to the possibility that he actually isn't than I was before, and that I've just confused his lack of personality and frat boy dopiness with him being even keeled and not getting stuck in his feelings to the detriment of his play.

    That IS something that I think very much happened with Kaepernick when things were going bad.


    No, its not, but in the absence of long term data this is what I'm basing what I think will happen off of.

    Could it be that he totally flames out? Sure. I am basing my opinion though on the last QB who played in Shanahans offense.

    I mean, in reality, this entire thread can be chalked up to "hey, lets wait and see", but wheres the
    fun in that? :D

    As for being even keeled....I have no idea. You are seeing it as he feared making a mistake after week 1 and I saw it as him trying to get through reads. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but either way, he needs more time behind center in real games.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:45 am
  • Washington49er wrote:Awful lot of speculation by both Hawk fans and 49er fans here after being 11 months out of ACL surgery and only one preseason performance. Seems to me the 49er fans are afraid Jimmy G will be a bust and the Hawk fans are afraid he won't be.


    I think that's accurate.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:45 am
  • Washington49er wrote:Seems to me the 49er fans are afraid Jimmy G will be a bust and the Hawk fans are afraid he won't be.


    I think that's about right.

    If forced to put my money where my mouth is I'd bet on him not being particularly bad or particularly good. He'll just be fine. He'll continue to struggle in the areas we already know about and continue to excel in the areas we already know about.

    He'll be one of those WILDLY POLARIZING QBs that sports fans can't make sense of, because we simply lack the imagination to acknowledge that a lot of starting QBs aren't "great" or "terrible" and are just okay.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5165
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 am


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:46 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:I mean, in reality, this entire thread can be chalked up to "hey, lets wait and see", but wheres the fun in that? :D


    :lol:

    TRUE.

    :2thumbs:
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5165
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 am


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:54 am
  • Yeah, Washington does make a good point here. :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12760
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Jimmy G
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:03 pm
  • Beathard started in 2017 around week 5 or 6 I think, and Mullens a lot longer in 2018.

    Beathard even starting in week 4 last year still had a few weeks of the rest of the offense to sync up a bit.

    Meanwhile Jimmy had started last year a tough slate of defenses with an offense that has been slow out of the gate in both Shanahan seasons.

    So the point is that all 49er QBs both seasons played relatively well in November/December. Beathard beating the Giants to Jimmy taking over, then Mullens last year.

    That's the true commonality to take from it. The offense as a whole functions a lot better as the season goes on. The exact opposite of the Harbaugh teams that came out the gate like gang busters then barely hung on past November.

    So, if Jimmy can play the entire season he should be playing *his* best football in November/December. Same would hold true of the other two.

    The hope is that this season once and for all will put a lot of this slow starting crap to bed. It's possible they might not have a delayed start this year like the last two.

    Being as non homer and objective as I can, the Shanahan/Jimmy era provides the most hope because of upside. Kyle is top 3 OC and Jimmy is the best progression/arm talent Niner QB in awhile. If all goes as planned, they are the solution.

    With Harbaugh you had to rely on getting real talent to help Kap and Smith, and make sure that defense was top 3, and needing lots of luck. The 2015 Broncos were the Harbaugh 49ers that got it done...….a very tough formula to follow and build on.

    Now, the defense is a concern mostly because of DC...….can't be too sure how good he really is.

    Should be an interesting season for Niner fans.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1738
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 8:06 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 pm
  • If all goes as planned, they are the solution.


    32 teams say that every year, rarely do things go as planned however, but one can wish and hope, millions do every year for their teams.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 27795
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Jimmy G
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:24 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    If all goes as planned, they are the solution.


    32 teams say that every year, rarely do things go as planned however, but one can wish and hope, millions do every year for their teams.


    I wasn't talking Super Bowl championship which is what your comment implies. Niner fans who saw Harbaugh's team go to 3 straight NFCCs without bringing home the 6th chip understand where you're coming from as well as anyone.

    I was referring to seeing your head coach and QB as good enough playcaller/manager and franchise player, respectively. Nothing is permanent anyway, and if a top 5 QB is your definition of the solution you'll be often be waiting more than a decade (if not a few decades) to get that.

    If the Chiefs never win a SB with Mahomes is he still the answer with Reid? Has Wilson been the answer since 2013?

    By your definition they haven't. :2thumbs:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1738
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 8:06 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:46 am
  • Jimmy G look more true to form last night. I think he plugged a few holes in what a lot of people thought was a sinking ship.

    Came out a little shaky and threw a couple sloppy balls but settled down and seemed to take command.

    I'm thinking the NFC West is going to be a fun division to watch this season.
    Washington49er
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:02 pm
  • Washington49er wrote:Jimmy G look more true to form last night. I think he plugged a few holes in what a lot of people thought was a sinking ship.

    Came out a little shaky and threw a couple sloppy balls but settled down and seemed to take command.

    I'm thinking the NFC West is going to be a fun division to watch this season.


    It was good to see the rebound last night.

    No game for him this coming Thursday, so we can finally say we're ready for the next 16 from him.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1738
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 8:06 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:42 am
  • Yeah, didn't see the highlights, but it sounds like he looked more like a QB? :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12760
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Jimmy G
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:39 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Yeah, didn't see the highlights, but it sounds like he looked more like a QB? :lol:


    Here they are. Also Mahomes still looks like the best QB in the league, despite all the "he hasn't proven anything yet" talk, even though he's the third guy ever to throw 50 TDs in a season...

    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1617
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 am


Re: Jimmy G
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:43 am
  • Yeah, Mahomes is just ridiculous. It was really fun watching him and Russ battle in that game here last season. Two of the best, and the game was back and forth all night.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12760
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Jimmy G
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:12 am
  • Mahomes is a ton of fun to watch.

    Jimmy wasn't as good as his stat line in this game, just as he wasn't as bad in his stat line in the first game.

    I counted four plus throws and three minus throws for Jimmy in this one, with the other 13 throws being more or less neutral.

    If anything I think it was a good performance, because three of the four plus throws (the out to Goodwin, the TD to Breida, and PERFECT throw up the sideline to James) weren't in the standard suite of throws we already know he's really good on. And in turn, only one of the the three minus throws was a throw that involved something I have questions about him on (the bad decision on the pass to Pettis at the goal line -- I'm not worried about him throwing short outs or over the intermediate middle, which were my two other minus throws).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5165
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 am


Re: Jimmy G
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:22 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:Mahomes is a ton of fun to watch.

    Jimmy wasn't as good as his stat line in this game, just as he wasn't as bad in his stat line in the first game.

    I counted four plus throws and three minus throws for Jimmy in this one, with the other 13 throws being more or less neutral.

    If anything I think it was a good performance, because three of the four plus throws (the out to Goodwin, the TD to Breida, and PERFECT throw up the sideline to James) weren't in the standard suite of throws we already know he's really good on. And in turn, only one of the the three minus throws was a throw that involved something I have questions about him on (the bad decision on the pass to Pettis at the goal line -- I'm not worried about him throwing short outs or over the intermediate middle, which were my two other minus throws).

    I was campaigning so hard on the 49ers forums for Mahomes in that draft (one on of my now banned accounts, of course), posting gif after gif and video after video, irrationally acting like if I could convince "Coach" and the others that Mahomes would be great because the system isn't what made him dominate in college that the 49ers would draft him. Just praying and begging that Lynch would see what was so obvious based on his college tape. But nope... Lynch wanted to draft his former classmate at Stanford instead. SMMFH. I honestly have not smacked my head on a desk that hard since the 49ers took Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.

    I've always thought Garoppolo could be an above average, maybe even top ten QB if he fixed his main weakness (reading defenses/seeing things right and quickly). But Mahomes, and pardon me haters, but Mahomes could be considered the GOAT some day. He's certainly top five ever in terms of physical talent. I'd put his arm up there with Marino, Favre and Rodgers no question.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1617
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 am


Re: Jimmy G
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:45 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:Mahomes is a ton of fun to watch.

    Jimmy wasn't as good as his stat line in this game, just as he wasn't as bad in his stat line in the first game.

    I counted four plus throws and three minus throws for Jimmy in this one, with the other 13 throws being more or less neutral.

    If anything I think it was a good performance, because three of the four plus throws (the out to Goodwin, the TD to Breida, and PERFECT throw up the sideline to James) weren't in the standard suite of throws we already know he's really good on. And in turn, only one of the the three minus throws was a throw that involved something I have questions about him on (the bad decision on the pass to Pettis at the goal line -- I'm not worried about him throwing short outs or over the intermediate middle, which were my two other minus throws).


    Agreed. Some of his bad throws though...I don't know how to judge them. The miss to Pettis early looks like he expected Pettis to be in a different spot judging by his reaction to Pettis after the throw and I have no idea who was right or wrong. I tend to blame Pettis as I have concerns with him to begin with.

    There was that WTF throw though. There ALWAYS seems to be one or two, even when he's playing well. He seems to have a tendancy to get away with them most of the time, but the law of averages makes me wonder if that'll always be the case.

    Its all a learning process. So many quote the contract and say he shouldn't make those kinds of mistakes, but I really don't care how much he's getting paid. His situation is different than most QBs who get to start early on. His situation dictated the contract, not how far along he was in his development.

    Its like when people CRUSH the CJ Beathard pick because they "wasted" a 3rd round pick on him but then neglect to say anything about Mullens as a Free Agent. I really don't care how he got on the team. Does it really matter that a 3rd round pick isn't playing well if the college free agent is clearly an NFL QB?

    IE, I don't get hung up on HOW they got on the team and I don't get hung up on the $$$.

    Jimmy is still gonna struggle. He needs alot more time executing Kyles offense, and Kyle pretty much says the EXACT SAME THING every time he is asked. He needs that year of playing tome to really get it down on the field, and THAT is what was really lost last year with the ACL.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:54 am
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:Mahomes is a ton of fun to watch.

    Jimmy wasn't as good as his stat line in this game, just as he wasn't as bad in his stat line in the first game.

    I counted four plus throws and three minus throws for Jimmy in this one, with the other 13 throws being more or less neutral.

    If anything I think it was a good performance, because three of the four plus throws (the out to Goodwin, the TD to Breida, and PERFECT throw up the sideline to James) weren't in the standard suite of throws we already know he's really good on. And in turn, only one of the the three minus throws was a throw that involved something I have questions about him on (the bad decision on the pass to Pettis at the goal line -- I'm not worried about him throwing short outs or over the intermediate middle, which were my two other minus throws).

    I was campaigning so hard on the 49ers forums for Mahomes in that draft (one on of my now banned accounts, of course), posting gif after gif and video after video, irrationally acting like if I could convince "Coach" and the others that Mahomes would be great because the system isn't what made him dominate in college that the 49ers would draft him. Just praying and begging that Lynch would see what was so obvious based on his college tape. But nope... Lynch wanted to draft his former classmate at Stanford instead. SMMFH. I honestly have not smacked my head on a desk that hard since the 49ers took Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.

    I've always thought Garoppolo could be an above average, maybe even top ten QB if he fixed his main weakness (reading defenses/seeing things right and quickly). But Mahomes, and pardon me haters, but Mahomes could be considered the GOAT some day. He's certainly top five ever in terms of physical talent. I'd put his arm up there with Marino, Favre and Rodgers no question.


    I really liked Mahomes as well and wanted the 49ers to draft him...

    ...but in fairness I did NOT want them to use their first round pick. I was hoping he'd fall into the second round and that wasn't even close to happening.

    Additionally, as much as I liked him, I'd be lying if I said I forecasted THIS. I just thought he was my favorite of the guys available in a not-so-stupendous QB class.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:19 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:Mahomes is a ton of fun to watch.

    Jimmy wasn't as good as his stat line in this game, just as he wasn't as bad in his stat line in the first game.

    I counted four plus throws and three minus throws for Jimmy in this one, with the other 13 throws being more or less neutral.

    If anything I think it was a good performance, because three of the four plus throws (the out to Goodwin, the TD to Breida, and PERFECT throw up the sideline to James) weren't in the standard suite of throws we already know he's really good on. And in turn, only one of the the three minus throws was a throw that involved something I have questions about him on (the bad decision on the pass to Pettis at the goal line -- I'm not worried about him throwing short outs or over the intermediate middle, which were my two other minus throws).

    I was campaigning so hard on the 49ers forums for Mahomes in that draft (one on of my now banned accounts, of course), posting gif after gif and video after video, irrationally acting like if I could convince "Coach" and the others that Mahomes would be great because the system isn't what made him dominate in college that the 49ers would draft him. Just praying and begging that Lynch would see what was so obvious based on his college tape. But nope... Lynch wanted to draft his former classmate at Stanford instead. SMMFH. I honestly have not smacked my head on a desk that hard since the 49ers took Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.

    I've always thought Garoppolo could be an above average, maybe even top ten QB if he fixed his main weakness (reading defenses/seeing things right and quickly). But Mahomes, and pardon me haters, but Mahomes could be considered the GOAT some day. He's certainly top five ever in terms of physical talent. I'd put his arm up there with Marino, Favre and Rodgers no question.


    I really liked Mahomes as well and wanted the 49ers to draft him...

    ...but in fairness I did NOT want them to use their first round pick. I was hoping he'd fall into the second round and that wasn't even close to happening.

    Additionally, as much as I liked him, I'd be lying if I said I forecasted THIS. I just thought he was my favorite of the guys available in a not-so-stupendous QB class.

    Lol I was hoping the 49ers would trade an additional pick to move up to 1 to make sure we got him.

    I had such a buener for him.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1617
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 am


Re: Jimmy G
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:26 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:Mahomes is a ton of fun to watch.

    Jimmy wasn't as good as his stat line in this game, just as he wasn't as bad in his stat line in the first game.

    I counted four plus throws and three minus throws for Jimmy in this one, with the other 13 throws being more or less neutral.

    If anything I think it was a good performance, because three of the four plus throws (the out to Goodwin, the TD to Breida, and PERFECT throw up the sideline to James) weren't in the standard suite of throws we already know he's really good on. And in turn, only one of the the three minus throws was a throw that involved something I have questions about him on (the bad decision on the pass to Pettis at the goal line -- I'm not worried about him throwing short outs or over the intermediate middle, which were my two other minus throws).


    Agreed. Some of his bad throws though...I don't know how to judge them. The miss to Pettis early looks like he expected Pettis to be in a different spot judging by his reaction to Pettis after the throw and I have no idea who was right or wrong. I tend to blame Pettis as I have concerns with him to begin with.

    There was that WTF throw though. There ALWAYS seems to be one or two, even when he's playing well. He seems to have a tendancy to get away with them most of the time, but the law of averages makes me wonder if that'll always be the case.

    Its all a learning process. So many quote the contract and say he shouldn't make those kinds of mistakes, but I really don't care how much he's getting paid. His situation is different than most QBs who get to start early on. His situation dictated the contract, not how far along he was in his development.

    Its like when people CRUSH the CJ Beathard pick because they "wasted" a 3rd round pick on him but then neglect to say anything about Mullens as a Free Agent. I really don't care how he got on the team. Does it really matter that a 3rd round pick isn't playing well if the college free agent is clearly an NFL QB?

    IE, I don't get hung up on HOW they got on the team and I don't get hung up on the $$$.

    Jimmy is still gonna struggle. He needs alot more time executing Kyles offense, and Kyle pretty much says the EXACT SAME THING every time he is asked. He needs that year of playing tome to really get it down on the field, and THAT is what was really lost last year with the ACL.



    100% agreed on all of this.

    The transition now though is they're out of cap room so they can't spend their way out of draft mistakes anymore (the two big FA acquisitions this year were basically replacements for them busting on Solly at edge and Foster at LB in the 1st round two years ago)..

    TBH I think all of this is more or less a crapshoot, moving forward FA definitely isn't going to be the tool they've been using it as to get wherever they're at now in their rebuild.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5165
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 am


Re: Jimmy G
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:24 pm
  • NINEster wrote: Kyle is top 3 OC


    Unless you're up 28-3 in the Super Bowl. In that case, he's the worst offensive coordinator of all time.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5873
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:20 pm
    Location: UT


Re: Jimmy G
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:39 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:
    NINEster wrote: Kyle is top 3 OC


    Unless you're up 28-3 in the Super Bowl. In that case, he's the worst offensive coordinator of all time.

    Wow’s I somehow missed that gem from Ninertroll in his wall of text. All Shanny had to do was run the Ball and salt the clock away and Atlanta has a Lombardi trophy. OC’s getting “too cute” is the reason for 2 of the Cheatriots Lombardis.
    Shanny and Bevell.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25437
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Jimmy G
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:
    NINEster wrote: Kyle is top 3 OC


    Unless you're up 28-3 in the Super Bowl. In that case, he's the worst offensive coordinator of all time.

    Wow’s I somehow missed that gem from Ninertroll in his wall of text. All Shanny had to do was run the Ball and salt the clock away and Atlanta has a Lombardi trophy. OC’s getting “too cute” is the reason for 2 of the Cheatriots Lombardis.
    Shanny and Bevell.


    He didn't say Shanahan has never made any mistakes. He said he's a top 3 OC.

    Is Wilson not a top 5 QB because he threw an INT on the goal line which cost them a title? Of course he's a top 5 QB. Don't be silly.

    Shanahan is one of the best OCs in the NFL no matter how much you don't want it to be so.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 pm
  • Shanny = Offense God, best in the league.
    GQ = franchise QB, no doubt about it.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:45 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:
    NINEster wrote: Kyle is top 3 OC


    Unless you're up 28-3 in the Super Bowl. In that case, he's the worst offensive coordinator of all time.

    Wow’s I somehow missed that gem from Ninertroll in his wall of text. All Shanny had to do was run the Ball and salt the clock away and Atlanta has a Lombardi trophy. OC’s getting “too cute” is the reason for 2 of the Cheatriots Lombardis.
    Shanny and Bevell.


    He didn't say Shanahan has never made any mistakes. He said he's a top 3 OC.

    Is Wilson not a top 5 QB because he threw an INT on the goal line which cost them a title? Of course he's a top 5 QB. Don't be silly.

    Shanahan is one of the best OCs in the NFL no matter how much you don't want it to be so.

    Sorry, I disagree. He made a shit ton of mistakes in the Super Bowl against the Pats, a whole 2nd half’s worth.

    I climb all over Darrell Bevell’s shit much to the dismay of many Hawks fans over one horrific play call which I never will forgive him for in a Super Bowl.

    Saint Shanny made a whole half’s worth of shitty play calls in the biggest game of his life while having a 25 point lead at halftime !!!!!!!!!!

    Top 3 OC’s don’t piss away 25 point halftime leads in Super Bowls, sorry.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25437
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:23 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:
    Unless you're up 28-3 in the Super Bowl. In that case, he's the worst offensive coordinator of all time.

    Wow’s I somehow missed that gem from Ninertroll in his wall of text. All Shanny had to do was run the Ball and salt the clock away and Atlanta has a Lombardi trophy. OC’s getting “too cute” is the reason for 2 of the Cheatriots Lombardis.
    Shanny and Bevell.


    He didn't say Shanahan has never made any mistakes. He said he's a top 3 OC.

    Is Wilson not a top 5 QB because he threw an INT on the goal line which cost them a title? Of course he's a top 5 QB. Don't be silly.

    Shanahan is one of the best OCs in the NFL no matter how much you don't want it to be so.

    Sorry, I disagree. He made a shit ton of mistakes in the Super Bowl against the Pats, a whole 2nd half’s worth.

    I climb all over Darrell Bevell’s shit much to the dismay of many Hawks fans over one horrific play call which I never will forgive him for in a Super Bowl.

    Saint Shanny made a whole half’s worth of shitty play calls in the biggest game of his life while having a 25 point lead at halftime !!!!!!!!!!

    Top 3 OC’s don’t piss away 25 point halftime leads in Super Bowls, sorry.

    I wasn’t aware that Shanahan was calling holding penalties and missed blocks.


    Best part about this fake argument: you know darn well you wish he was your team’s offensive coordinator. :stirthepot:
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1617
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 am


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:36 am
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Wow’s I somehow missed that gem from Ninertroll in his wall of text. All Shanny had to do was run the Ball and salt the clock away and Atlanta has a Lombardi trophy. OC’s getting “too cute” is the reason for 2 of the Cheatriots Lombardis.
    Shanny and Bevell.


    He didn't say Shanahan has never made any mistakes. He said he's a top 3 OC.

    Is Wilson not a top 5 QB because he threw an INT on the goal line which cost them a title? Of course he's a top 5 QB. Don't be silly.

    Shanahan is one of the best OCs in the NFL no matter how much you don't want it to be so.

    Sorry, I disagree. He made a shit ton of mistakes in the Super Bowl against the Pats, a whole 2nd half’s worth.

    I climb all over Darrell Bevell’s shit much to the dismay of many Hawks fans over one horrific play call which I never will forgive him for in a Super Bowl.

    Saint Shanny made a whole half’s worth of shitty play calls in the biggest game of his life while having a 25 point lead at halftime !!!!!!!!!!

    Top 3 OC’s don’t piss away 25 point halftime leads in Super Bowls, sorry.

    I wasn’t aware that Shanahan was calling holding penalties and missed blocks.


    Best part about this fake argument: you know darn well you wish he was your team’s offensive coordinator. :stirthepot:

    That’s a weak deflection even for you.

    He called the passing plays when he should have been running. Again, he had a 25 point lead at halftime against Shady Brady. You run the ball, let the play clock get down to 2 seconds before snapping the ball, and Atlanta puts a Lombardi in the trophy case.

    It doesn’t matter if you gain yards or not at that point. It’s not rocket science.

    Let’s face it, and be honest, your golden boy crapped the bed.

    I’m not the biggest fan of Schotty, but I wouldn’t want Shanny as the OC after choking away a Lombardi.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25437
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:14 am
  • Wait, so are you saying you'd rather have Schotty than Shanahan or not?

    It's okay, no need to deflect or talk around it. Just a one word answer and be honest.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5165
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 am


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:39 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:Wait, so are you saying you'd rather have Schotty than Shanahan or not?

    It's okay, no need to deflect or talk around it. Just a one word answer and be honest.

    You can’t figure it out from my post? Really?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25437
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:41 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:Wait, so are you saying you'd rather have Schotty than Shanahan or not?

    It's okay, no need to deflect or talk around it. Just a one word answer and be honest.

    You can’t figure it out from my post? Really?


    No.

    If I could why would I have asked?
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5165
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 am


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:12 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    He didn't say Shanahan has never made any mistakes. He said he's a top 3 OC.

    Is Wilson not a top 5 QB because he threw an INT on the goal line which cost them a title? Of course he's a top 5 QB. Don't be silly.

    Shanahan is one of the best OCs in the NFL no matter how much you don't want it to be so.

    Sorry, I disagree. He made a shit ton of mistakes in the Super Bowl against the Pats, a whole 2nd half’s worth.

    I climb all over Darrell Bevell’s shit much to the dismay of many Hawks fans over one horrific play call which I never will forgive him for in a Super Bowl.

    Saint Shanny made a whole half’s worth of shitty play calls in the biggest game of his life while having a 25 point lead at halftime !!!!!!!!!!

    Top 3 OC’s don’t piss away 25 point halftime leads in Super Bowls, sorry.

    I wasn’t aware that Shanahan was calling holding penalties and missed blocks.


    Best part about this fake argument: you know darn well you wish he was your team’s offensive coordinator. :stirthepot:

    That’s a weak deflection even for you.

    He called the passing plays when he should have been running. Again, he had a 25 point lead at halftime against Shady Brady. You run the ball, let the play clock get down to 2 seconds before snapping the ball, and Atlanta puts a Lombardi in the trophy case.

    It doesn’t matter if you gain yards or not at that point. It’s not rocket science.

    Let’s face it, and be honest, your golden boy crapped the bed.

    I’m not the biggest fan of Schotty, but I wouldn’t want Shanny as the OC after choking away a Lombardi.


    Lol liar.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1617
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 am


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:18 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:
    Unless you're up 28-3 in the Super Bowl. In that case, he's the worst offensive coordinator of all time.

    Wow’s I somehow missed that gem from Ninertroll in his wall of text. All Shanny had to do was run the Ball and salt the clock away and Atlanta has a Lombardi trophy. OC’s getting “too cute” is the reason for 2 of the Cheatriots Lombardis.
    Shanny and Bevell.


    He didn't say Shanahan has never made any mistakes. He said he's a top 3 OC.

    Is Wilson not a top 5 QB because he threw an INT on the goal line which cost them a title? Of course he's a top 5 QB. Don't be silly.

    Shanahan is one of the best OCs in the NFL no matter how much you don't want it to be so.

    Sorry, I disagree. He made a shit ton of mistakes in the Super Bowl against the Pats, a whole 2nd half’s worth.

    I climb all over Darrell Bevell’s shit much to the dismay of many Hawks fans over one horrific play call which I never will forgive him for in a Super Bowl.

    Saint Shanny made a whole half’s worth of shitty play calls in the biggest game of his life while having a 25 point lead at halftime !!!!!!!!!!

    Top 3 OC’s don’t piss away 25 point halftime leads in Super Bowls, sorry.


    ...missed in your argument....

    1) He had amassed a 25 point lead in the first place.
    2) He doesn't play defense.
    3) Thay had the first down at the end if not for a holding call.
    4) The Falcons under his leadership were one of the best offenses in NFL history that season and made Matt Ryan the league MVP. Matt. Ryan.
    5) If Shanahan were the Seahawks OC, you'd be making the exact reverse argument you are making now.

    Nobody is infallible. I'm sure there are many things Shanahan would like to do different if he had it back, but he was HARDLY the reason they lost, and was a HUGE reason they were even in that situation to begin with.

    If Shanahan were fired, how long do you think it would take for him to get a job as an OC? He coached MATT SHAUB to a 98.6 QB rating. He coached RGIII to a 102.4 QB rating as a rookie. Matt Ryans rating was 117.1. His previous career high rating had been 99.1.

    Hell, he played undrafted Free Agent Nick Mullens to a 90.8 rating and has several members of THIS BOARD saying the Niners already have their QB of the future over Jimmy and that Mullens should start.

    What is REALLY interesting is seeing what happens to his QBs after he leaves.

    GTFO. Shanahan is one of the best in the business as an OC and just about anyone who pays any attention will tell you that. The only people who don't think that are people who don't WANT it to be true.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:21 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:Wait, so are you saying you'd rather have Schotty than Shanahan or not?

    It's okay, no need to deflect or talk around it. Just a one word answer and be honest.

    You can’t figure it out from my post? Really?



    I don't think its that he doesn't really understand. I think its more of a sense of awe and disbelief that you are asserting that madness. LOL.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:26 pm
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Sorry, I disagree. He made a shit ton of mistakes in the Super Bowl against the Pats, a whole 2nd half’s worth.

    I climb all over Darrell Bevell’s shit much to the dismay of many Hawks fans over one horrific play call which I never will forgive him for in a Super Bowl.

    Saint Shanny made a whole half’s worth of shitty play calls in the biggest game of his life while having a 25 point lead at halftime !!!!!!!!!!

    Top 3 OC’s don’t piss away 25 point halftime leads in Super Bowls, sorry.

    I wasn’t aware that Shanahan was calling holding penalties and missed blocks.


    Best part about this fake argument: you know darn well you wish he was your team’s offensive coordinator. :stirthepot:

    That’s a weak deflection even for you.

    He called the passing plays when he should have been running. Again, he had a 25 point lead at halftime against Shady Brady. You run the ball, let the play clock get down to 2 seconds before snapping the ball, and Atlanta puts a Lombardi in the trophy case.

    It doesn’t matter if you gain yards or not at that point. It’s not rocket science.

    Let’s face it, and be honest, your golden boy crapped the bed.

    I’m not the biggest fan of Schotty, but I wouldn’t want Shanny as the OC after choking away a Lombardi.


    Lol liar.


    What am I lying about?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25437
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Wow’s I somehow missed that gem from Ninertroll in his wall of text. All Shanny had to do was run the Ball and salt the clock away and Atlanta has a Lombardi trophy. OC’s getting “too cute” is the reason for 2 of the Cheatriots Lombardis.
    Shanny and Bevell.


    He didn't say Shanahan has never made any mistakes. He said he's a top 3 OC.

    Is Wilson not a top 5 QB because he threw an INT on the goal line which cost them a title? Of course he's a top 5 QB. Don't be silly.

    Shanahan is one of the best OCs in the NFL no matter how much you don't want it to be so.

    Sorry, I disagree. He made a shit ton of mistakes in the Super Bowl against the Pats, a whole 2nd half’s worth.

    I climb all over Darrell Bevell’s shit much to the dismay of many Hawks fans over one horrific play call which I never will forgive him for in a Super Bowl.

    Saint Shanny made a whole half’s worth of shitty play calls in the biggest game of his life while having a 25 point lead at halftime !!!!!!!!!!

    Top 3 OC’s don’t piss away 25 point halftime leads in Super Bowls, sorry.


    ...missed in your argument....

    1) He had amassed a 25 point lead in the first place.
    2) He doesn't play defense.
    3) Thay had the first down at the end if not for a holding call.
    4) The Falcons under his leadership were one of the best offenses in NFL history that season and made Matt Ryan the league MVP. Matt. Ryan.
    5) If Shanahan were the Seahawks OC, you'd be making the exact reverse argument you are making now.

    Nobody is infallible. I'm sure there are many things Shanahan would like to do different if he had it back, but he was HARDLY the reason they lost, and was a HUGE reason they were even in that situation to begin with.

    If Shanahan were fired, how long do you think it would take for him to get a job as an OC? He coached MATT SHAUB to a 98.6 QB rating. He coached RGIII to a 102.4 QB rating as a rookie. Matt Ryans rating was 117.1. His previous career high rating had been 99.1.

    Hell, he played undrafted Free Agent Nick Mullens to a 90.8 rating and has several members of THIS BOARD saying the Niners already have their QB of the future over Jimmy and that Mullens should start.

    What is REALLY interesting is seeing what happens to his QBs after he leaves.

    GTFO. Shanahan is one of the best in the business as an OC and just about anyone who pays any attention will tell you that. The only people who don't think that are people who don't WANT it to be true.


    You dizzy from all that spin Marvin?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25437
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:40 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    He didn't say Shanahan has never made any mistakes. He said he's a top 3 OC.

    Is Wilson not a top 5 QB because he threw an INT on the goal line which cost them a title? Of course he's a top 5 QB. Don't be silly.

    Shanahan is one of the best OCs in the NFL no matter how much you don't want it to be so.

    Sorry, I disagree. He made a shit ton of mistakes in the Super Bowl against the Pats, a whole 2nd half’s worth.

    I climb all over Darrell Bevell’s shit much to the dismay of many Hawks fans over one horrific play call which I never will forgive him for in a Super Bowl.

    Saint Shanny made a whole half’s worth of shitty play calls in the biggest game of his life while having a 25 point lead at halftime !!!!!!!!!!

    Top 3 OC’s don’t piss away 25 point halftime leads in Super Bowls, sorry.


    ...missed in your argument....

    1) He had amassed a 25 point lead in the first place.
    2) He doesn't play defense.
    3) Thay had the first down at the end if not for a holding call.
    4) The Falcons under his leadership were one of the best offenses in NFL history that season and made Matt Ryan the league MVP. Matt. Ryan.
    5) If Shanahan were the Seahawks OC, you'd be making the exact reverse argument you are making now.

    Nobody is infallible. I'm sure there are many things Shanahan would like to do different if he had it back, but he was HARDLY the reason they lost, and was a HUGE reason they were even in that situation to begin with.

    If Shanahan were fired, how long do you think it would take for him to get a job as an OC? He coached MATT SHAUB to a 98.6 QB rating. He coached RGIII to a 102.4 QB rating as a rookie. Matt Ryans rating was 117.1. His previous career high rating had been 99.1.

    Hell, he played undrafted Free Agent Nick Mullens to a 90.8 rating and has several members of THIS BOARD saying the Niners already have their QB of the future over Jimmy and that Mullens should start.

    What is REALLY interesting is seeing what happens to his QBs after he leaves.

    GTFO. Shanahan is one of the best in the business as an OC and just about anyone who pays any attention will tell you that. The only people who don't think that are people who don't WANT it to be true.


    You dizzy from all that spin Marvin?


    I'll take troll has no viable response for the win.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:32 pm
  • You can take Bevell and Shanny and see if you can make one OC with balls, both have a habit of choking like a fresh whore giving blow jobs. Some of it may have been Quinn and Carroll but even so over a season you can see the track record.

    I don't care what the NFL says about ratings you never take your foot off the gas, we seen it in the Falcons game and in our games, going away from what works and getting cute is another aspect which both seem to think is clever and bites them in the ass.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 27795
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:26 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:You can take Bevell and Shanny and see if you can make one OC with balls, both have a habit of choking like a fresh whore giving blow jobs. Some of it may have been Quinn and Carroll but even so over a season you can see the track record.

    I don't care what the NFL says about ratings you never take your foot off the gas, we seen it in the Falcons game and in our games, going away from what works and getting cute is another aspect which both seem to think is clever and bites them in the ass.


    Weird.

    So far as I know, this has happened ONCE with Shanahan, and in that case NOBODY was criticizing him for taking his foot off the gas. In fact, the criticism is that he DID NOT take his foot off the gas when he should have and didn't shut it down and run the ball.

    I don't think anyone would argue that Shanahan called a perfect game there, but there were alot of different people who did things wrong to result in that huge comeback.

    To suggest that he's not a top OC based on ONE game in his career in which he had a 25 point lead seems kinda nuts too me.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:37 pm
  • Even conceding Shanahan is a top 3 OC, y'all seem to forget he's not Santa Clara's OC, he's their head coach.

    And if you truly don't understand the significance of the difference, might I direct you to the career of one Norv Turner?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5480
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:40 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Even conceding Shanahan is a top 3 OC, y'all seem to forget he's not Santa Clara's OC, he's their head coach.

    And if you truly don't understand the significance of the difference, might I direct you to the career of one Norv Turner?


    I didn't forget, but Shanahan does run the O and they don't have an OC.

    Does that make him a great Head Coach? Nope. That's still to be seen, but there is no question he is a great playcaller.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:47 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Even conceding Shanahan is a top 3 OC, y'all seem to forget he's not Santa Clara's OC, he's their head coach.

    And if you truly don't understand the significance of the difference, might I direct you to the career of one Norv Turner?


    I didn't forget, but Shanahan does run the O and they don't have an OC.

    Does that make him a great Head Coach? Nope. That's still to be seen, but there is no question he is a great playcaller.


    Mind you, I'm not suggesting he's a bad head coach, if anything, the jury is still out on him. I'm just saying great coordinators don't always make great coaches. Norv Turner, Buddy Ryan, Dom Capers, Marion Campbell, Mike Martz were all middling to terrible HC's, but great coordinators.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5480
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:56 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Even conceding Shanahan is a top 3 OC, y'all seem to forget he's not Santa Clara's OC, he's their head coach.

    And if you truly don't understand the significance of the difference, might I direct you to the career of one Norv Turner?


    I didn't forget, but Shanahan does run the O and they don't have an OC.

    Does that make him a great Head Coach? Nope. That's still to be seen, but there is no question he is a great playcaller.


    Mind you, I'm not suggesting he's a bad head coach, if anything, the jury is still out on him. I'm just saying great coordinators don't always make great coaches. Norv Turner, Buddy Ryan, Dom Capers, Marion Campbell, Mike Martz were all middling to terrible HC's, but great coordinators.


    Totally fair...

    ...and man, Norv just wouldn't give up. He screwed the Niners big time. Frank Gore had his best season and Alex Smith looked to be turning it around under Norv. He remained the OC the following year until at the last minute SD fired their coach (Marty? Can't remember) and the Niners ended up with....

    ...Jim Hostler. Sigh.

    Agreed on all those coaches as well, but I must confess I don't know who Marion Campbell is.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Even conceding Shanahan is a top 3 OC, y'all seem to forget he's not Santa Clara's OC, he's their head coach.

    And if you truly don't understand the significance of the difference, might I direct you to the career of one Norv Turner?


    I didn't forget, but Shanahan does run the O and they don't have an OC.

    Does that make him a great Head Coach? Nope. That's still to be seen, but there is no question he is a great playcaller.


    Mind you, I'm not suggesting he's a bad head coach, if anything, the jury is still out on him. I'm just saying great coordinators don't always make great coaches. Norv Turner, Buddy Ryan, Dom Capers, Marion Campbell, Mike Martz were all middling to terrible HC's, but great coordinators.


    Totally fair...

    ...and man, Norv just wouldn't give up. He screwed the Niners big time. Frank Gore had his best season and Alex Smith looked to be turning it around under Norv. He remained the OC the following year until at the last minute SD fired their coach (Marty? Can't remember) and the Niners ended up with....

    ...Jim Hostler. Sigh.

    Agreed on all those coaches as well, but I must confess I don't know who Marion Campbell is.


    Marion Campbell was a DC for Atlanta in the 70's and Philadelphia in the 80's (he was Vermeil's DC), he also was on the staff with the Vikings and Rams in the 60's. However, he's most well known for having the worst, literally the WORST, win percentage amongst NFL head coaches who coached at least 100 games (34-80-1, .300).
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5480
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:37 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    I didn't forget, but Shanahan does run the O and they don't have an OC.

    Does that make him a great Head Coach? Nope. That's still to be seen, but there is no question he is a great playcaller.


    Mind you, I'm not suggesting he's a bad head coach, if anything, the jury is still out on him. I'm just saying great coordinators don't always make great coaches. Norv Turner, Buddy Ryan, Dom Capers, Marion Campbell, Mike Martz were all middling to terrible HC's, but great coordinators.


    Totally fair...

    ...and man, Norv just wouldn't give up. He screwed the Niners big time. Frank Gore had his best season and Alex Smith looked to be turning it around under Norv. He remained the OC the following year until at the last minute SD fired their coach (Marty? Can't remember) and the Niners ended up with....

    ...Jim Hostler. Sigh.

    Agreed on all those coaches as well, but I must confess I don't know who Marion Campbell is.


    Marion Campbell was a DC for Atlanta in the 70's and Philadelphia in the 80's (he was Vermeil's DC), he also was on the staff with the Vikings and Rams in the 60's. However, he's most well known for having the worst, literally the WORST, win percentage amongst NFL head coaches who coached at least 100 games (34-80-1, .300).


    LOL. Good Knowledge. :D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:11 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Sorry, I disagree. He made a shit ton of mistakes in the Super Bowl against the Pats, a whole 2nd half’s worth.

    I climb all over Darrell Bevell’s shit much to the dismay of many Hawks fans over one horrific play call which I never will forgive him for in a Super Bowl.

    Saint Shanny made a whole half’s worth of shitty play calls in the biggest game of his life while having a 25 point lead at halftime !!!!!!!!!!

    Top 3 OC’s don’t piss away 25 point halftime leads in Super Bowls, sorry.


    ...missed in your argument....

    1) He had amassed a 25 point lead in the first place.
    2) He doesn't play defense.
    3) Thay had the first down at the end if not for a holding call.
    4) The Falcons under his leadership were one of the best offenses in NFL history that season and made Matt Ryan the league MVP. Matt. Ryan.
    5) If Shanahan were the Seahawks OC, you'd be making the exact reverse argument you are making now.

    Nobody is infallible. I'm sure there are many things Shanahan would like to do different if he had it back, but he was HARDLY the reason they lost, and was a HUGE reason they were even in that situation to begin with.

    If Shanahan were fired, how long do you think it would take for him to get a job as an OC? He coached MATT SHAUB to a 98.6 QB rating. He coached RGIII to a 102.4 QB rating as a rookie. Matt Ryans rating was 117.1. His previous career high rating had been 99.1.

    Hell, he played undrafted Free Agent Nick Mullens to a 90.8 rating and has several members of THIS BOARD saying the Niners already have their QB of the future over Jimmy and that Mullens should start.

    What is REALLY interesting is seeing what happens to his QBs after he leaves.

    GTFO. Shanahan is one of the best in the business as an OC and just about anyone who pays any attention will tell you that. The only people who don't think that are people who don't WANT it to be true.


    You dizzy from all that spin Marvin?


    I'll take troll has no viable response for the win.

    If you think I’m trolling Marv you’ve learned nothing in your time here.

    You think that Shanny walks on water we get it....you also thought the Kraepper walked on water too, even when a lot of Hawks fans here were telling you he was “Captain one read and run”, you didn’t want to hear any of it. Who was right?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25437
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:45 pm
  • That's a ridiculous thing to say! Pretty much all NFL coaches were successful coordinators before they were coaches. Sean McVay, Matt Nagy, Bill Belichick , Sean Payton, Andy Reid, PETE CARROLL.
    94Smith
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 142
    Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:01 am


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:49 pm
  • 94Smith wrote:That's a ridiculous thing to say! Pretty much all NFL coaches were successful coordinators before they were coaches. Sean McVay, Matt Nagy, Bill Belichick , Sean Payton, Andy Reid, PETE CARROLL.


    Who are you calling ridiculous?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5480
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    ...missed in your argument....

    1) He had amassed a 25 point lead in the first place.
    2) He doesn't play defense.
    3) Thay had the first down at the end if not for a holding call.
    4) The Falcons under his leadership were one of the best offenses in NFL history that season and made Matt Ryan the league MVP. Matt. Ryan.
    5) If Shanahan were the Seahawks OC, you'd be making the exact reverse argument you are making now.

    Nobody is infallible. I'm sure there are many things Shanahan would like to do different if he had it back, but he was HARDLY the reason they lost, and was a HUGE reason they were even in that situation to begin with.

    If Shanahan were fired, how long do you think it would take for him to get a job as an OC? He coached MATT SHAUB to a 98.6 QB rating. He coached RGIII to a 102.4 QB rating as a rookie. Matt Ryans rating was 117.1. His previous career high rating had been 99.1.

    Hell, he played undrafted Free Agent Nick Mullens to a 90.8 rating and has several members of THIS BOARD saying the Niners already have their QB of the future over Jimmy and that Mullens should start.

    What is REALLY interesting is seeing what happens to his QBs after he leaves.

    GTFO. Shanahan is one of the best in the business as an OC and just about anyone who pays any attention will tell you that. The only people who don't think that are people who don't WANT it to be true.


    You dizzy from all that spin Marvin?


    I'll take troll has no viable response for the win.

    If you think I’m trolling Marv you’ve learned nothing in your time here.

    You think that Shanny walks on water we get it....you also thought the Kraepper walked on water too, even when a lot of Hawks fans here were telling you he was “Captain one read and run”, you didn’t want to hear any of it. Who was right?


    No, I've learned plenty. I know that this conversation is going nowhere and you will likely again not address anything I say.

    I know your kind. Its all about the dismissal of another argument and no actual substance. For example, saying I think Shanahan "walks on water" when all I did was say its not ludicrous to call him a top 3 OC while acknowledging he made mistakes in the Super Bowl and agreeing with Maulbert that we really don't know if he is a good HC.

    Kap? Thats funny. Where were you when I said Harvin and Graham were bad trades? We can play this game all day. You were right about Kap? You say just about every Niner or Niner coach/GM/Owner/Waterboy/Pretzel Vendor sucks, so really hard to take it seriously.

    All I ever get from you is ZERO actual debate. Its all "your guy sucks" and any conversation ends with "SPIN!!". Zero substance.

    What does that make you? A Troll. I don't THINK you are trolling. I KNOW you are.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:55 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    94Smith wrote:That's a ridiculous thing to say! Pretty much all NFL coaches were successful coordinators before they were coaches. Sean McVay, Matt Nagy, Bill Belichick , Sean Payton, Andy Reid, PETE CARROLL.


    Who are you calling ridiculous?


    I think he misunderstood the point you were making. You were saying great OCs/DCs don't NECESSARILY make good HCs and he took it as Good OCs/DCs don't EVER make good HCs.

    I got your point the first time and of course you are correct. Some guys should just never leave the Coordinator level.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6283
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: Jimmy G
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:08 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:I wasn’t aware that Shanahan was calling holding penalties and missed blocks.


    Best part about this fake argument: you know darn well you wish he was your team’s offensive coordinator. :stirthepot:

    That’s a weak deflection even for you.

    He called the passing plays when he should have been running. Again, he had a 25 point lead at halftime against Shady Brady. You run the ball, let the play clock get down to 2 seconds before snapping the ball, and Atlanta puts a Lombardi in the trophy case.

    It doesn’t matter if you gain yards or not at that point. It’s not rocket science.

    Let’s face it, and be honest, your golden boy crapped the bed.

    I’m not the biggest fan of Schotty, but I wouldn’t want Shanny as the OC after choking away a Lombardi.


    Lol liar.


    What am I lying about?


    About not wanting Shanahn as an OC. Later in the year when Wilson has to make miracles because of poor play calling and everyone here is complaining about said play calling, part of you will look with envy while Shanahan makes an offense look much better than its talent deserves, as he has always done.

    Anyway, while Shanahan choked some in that Super Bowl, did not the great defensive mind Pete Carroll give up a ten point fourth quarter lead to Tom Brady a couple Super Bowls prior, despite having an all time great defensive roster? Maybe that’s the x-factor here?
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1617
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online