My McVay/Rams theory

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: My McVay/Rams theory
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:07 am
  • I just wonder if Belicheck put a blue print out on McVay/Goff. Goff tanks under pressure. So jam the thunder out of his recievers and blitz all day.
    SuperMan28
    NET Rookie

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:22 am
  • Agree on trading rather than paying Goff. I also put Prescott in that category.
    SuperMan28
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:03 am
  • The " evil genius " Belichick exposed the Lambs offense ; so any team with a good defense should be able to really slow down their offense this season . The question still remains ; do the Hawks have a good enough defense to do what the Patriots did to take back the division ?
    xray
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:05 am
  • original poster wrote:To be fair he said ‘approaching top 10’, that’s a very fair statement in my opinion.

Thank you.

And to even further clarify, I'm not saying I believe that he is. I put a ton of stock into a team's supporting cast, and there are a lot of QBs that could have gotten the Rams to the Super Bowl last year.

But by how most people seem to quantify QBs, there's no doubt that he's close to being top 10. I think PFF ranked him as the 7th or 8th best last year.

The Rams won 13 games last year (ugh I despise using wins as a QB stat)

His other rankings:

TDs - tied for 6th
    YPA - 4th
    YPC - 3rd
    Passing yards - 4th
    Passer rating - 8th
    4th quarter comebacks - 3rd
    Game winning drives - 4th
    QBR (garbage ESPN stat) - 10th

A lot there to support him being top 10 if someone were inclined to argue on his behalf.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:33 am
  • Well, imagine Russ on that team. His numbers would be next level ridiculous.
    Goff is quite overrated.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:53 pm
  • SuperMan28 wrote:Agree on trading rather than paying Goff. I also put Prescott in that category.

You're not going to get an argument about Prescott from anyone here. His play is directly proportional to the talent around him. Without Elliot and Cooper, he's a high quality backup.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:36 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Well, imagine Russ on that team. His numbers would be next level ridiculous.
    Goff is quite overrated.

I agree that with Wilson the Rams would have probably gone 16-0 and won it all last year.

But he's got a LOT more experience than Goff. I think Wilson was quite overrated when Seattle won the Super Bowl, just as Brady was overrated when they won their first few Super Bowls - the talent/coaching around Wilson (and Brady) was insane.

But ironically enough, some Seahawks fans were arguing that he was a top QB, and most of that had to do with how many games they were winning.

I'm not arguing that for Goff - I'm aware of how much the talent around him has impacted his numbers.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:46 am
  • Um, they don't make EITHER Super Bowl w/out Russ, period. Regardless what any of the Russ bashers tell you.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:13 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Um, they don't make EITHER Super Bowl w/out Russ, period. Regardless what any of the Russ bashers tell you.

Similar to Goff last year, several QBs could have led them to both of those Super Bowls.

He's a top QB NOW - but during those years, he was not. Dude threw five INTs in the NFC Championship game and it was a game Seattle somehow won.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:40 pm
  • Ramfan128 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Um, they don't make EITHER Super Bowl w/out Russ, period. Regardless what any of the Russ bashers tell you.

Similar to Goff last year, several QBs could have led them to both of those Super Bowls.

He's a top QB NOW - but during those years, he was not. Dude threw five INTs in the NFC Championship game and it was a game Seattle somehow won.

He threw 4, and 3 were deflected by Jermaine Kearse. And in overtime, he threw back to back 35 yard passes on the last two plays of the game. We don't win that game with at least 85% of the starting QBs in the NFL. Most would fold like a cheap suit after that last pick.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:25 am
  • I love when someone tries to pull out the "but he threw a bunch of picks in the NFC Championship" Yeah, that's pretty much the ONLY game in his career where he's come close to that. AND, 3 of them were on Butterfingers Kearse. They always were down 16 with 5 minutes left and he took that team on his back, period.
    His blatant refusal to give up, along w/his ability to close out a game is among the best of all time.
    But some on this particular page flat out refuse to EVER give him credit for any of it. It's all because of the Defense and the running game :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:18 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Um, they don't make EITHER Super Bowl w/out Russ, period. Regardless what any of the Russ bashers tell you.

He threw 4, and 3 were deflected by Jermaine Kearse. And in overtime, he threw back to back 35 yard passes on the last two plays of the game. We don't win that game with at least 85% of the starting QBs in the NFL. Most would fold like a cheap suit after that last pick.

I could say something similar about the Saints game. Most people ignored it because of the no call, but Goff outplayed Brees after the slow start and that brought the Rams back. I could also say that not many QBs could have brought the team back after being down 13-0 in one of the loudest environments in NFL history.

I stand by my comment - Wilson was then what Goff is now.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:29 am
  • hahahahahahahahaha

Oh man, thx for the laugh. Goff isn't going to be NEAR the QB or winner that Russ is. But hey, he's on your team, I get it.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:48 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I love when someone tries to pull out the "but he threw a bunch of picks in the NFC Championship" Yeah, that's pretty much the ONLY game in his career where he's come close to that. AND, 3 of them were on Butterfingers Kearse. They always were down 16 with 5 minutes left and he took that team on his back, period.
    His blatant refusal to give up, along w/his ability to close out a game is among the best of all time.
    But some on this particular page flat out refuse to EVER give him credit for any of it. It's all because of the Defense and the running game :roll:

I don't think Goff has ever played with Kearse.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:27 am
  • Expansion on this theory - Goff is a Bengal next year.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:10 pm
  • You always wait until you have the next QB before you move on from the current one.

KC had Alex Smith, they drafted Mahomes. Once they confirmed he was the guy, they then traded Smith.

It's hard to find great QBs though so you really can't plan a strategy around "Well we'll just draft another one, no big deal."

You might be looking for 40 years.

McVay is definitely a special case. And he should be aggressive drafting QBs, he could develop them and then flip them for higher picks, and if their is one he really likes he could have him takeover as the starter, and flip Goff for picks and Salary Cap relief.

The Rams should extend Goff in the mean time though.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:14 pm
  • Welp, let's all point and laugh at how stupid I am. They just signed him to an extension.

Haha @pehawkdoucheboy
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:43 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Welp, let's all point and laugh at how stupid I am. They just signed him to an extension.

Haha @pehawkdoucheboy

Why laugh at you? I'm too busy laughing at the Rams!
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:51 pm
  • Theres more than one person to laugh at, for sure.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:17 pm
  • We live in a world where a man who doesn't even know which direction the sun rises or sets is going to make $30 million+ per year. FML
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:12 am
  • Wow Rams are going to cap hell faster than I expected..What a stupid move but it
    helps us.
    Pe it's ok,your theory will be used when teams stop being scared.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:25 pm
  • 710 tearing into OP's idea right now.
    HawkStrong
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:10 pm
  • Honestly this might be a hell of a deal for the Rams if they're happy with Goff and he continues to improve. Everyone thought they would make him play out his contract and then grab another cheap/young QB, looks like they decided to get out in front of it and extend him with two years of control left instead.

I have no idea what the structure is but I saw the numbers and $32.5MM APY. His cap hit probably isn't going to be much 3-6 seasons down the road.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:16 pm
  • I anticipate a lot of fullback twists getting called in the absence of a dominant QB.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:26 pm
  • pehawk wrote:So, I have a crazy theory on what model the Rams will be using to build their team. I think the Rams are going to implement a, and the, great experiment. They're gonna follow a model long discussed but never implemented out of fear by GM's and HC's.

I think the Rams are never going to pay their QB. I think the Rams are going to always have a rookie or cheap QB and will NOT resign Goff.

McVay's system makes QB's almost irrelevant. McVay has gifted Goff the best OL, best skill position group, best RB, and best scheme to make easy throws over the middle. On top of that McVay LITERALLY makes the calls for Goff, telling him his read right before the headset turns off at 15 seconds. He doesn't need an elite QB to make that offense click...but he cant have an elite QB and stars everywhere else. So, Goff wont be resigned and McVay will probably draft a QB next year then sign a cheap, Keenum type bridge guy.

I am excited to see the experiment. And I do, somewhat, root for it to succeed, because I think it'll make the game better. Just not against the Hawks.

Anyway, love you.

Sincerely,

Flipper Anderson

This didn't age well.

Now it's time for the Rams to do what we all wanted them to do, pay Goff, regret it and stink for the next decade.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:13 am
  • RedAlice wrote:Tho you are the first one I remember fronting this theory Pe, it’s been said over and over now.

We are just about to be at the point of fruition for your theory if it holds.

You have put in the time.

Alice, did you lose a bet, or have you come over to the Dark Side? Or maybe a house (occupied by Bill Belicheck) landed on McVay?
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 am
  • I have a theory, and it's much better than Pe's.

The Rams (& Jerry Jones) are signing guys early to get out ahead of an upcoming Cap Adjustment that will make these contracts (& Russell's), look like a bargain.

Had they waited until next year, they would have been paying much more on a QB or RB contract.

And Chris Carson will be the beneficiary, making more than Zeke.

That's my THEORY, and I'm sticking to it!
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:48 am
  • Since when did Pe become a Rams fan? :sarcasm_on:
    Personally, I would love to see an A bomb hit the whole franchise.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:37 am
  • ivotuk wrote:I have a theory, and it's much better than Pe's.

The Rams (& Jerry Jones) are signing guys early to get out ahead of an upcoming Cap Adjustment that will make these contracts (& Russell's), look like a bargain.

Had they waited until next year, they would have been paying much more on a QB or RB contract.

It's not a theory, it's fact in the NFL.

Everyone's jumping all over the Rams and McVay for giving Goff his huge extension............but how good is 32M a year going to look when the Chiefs and Cowboys have to give Mahomes and Prescott 40M a year once the new CBA is completed and the cap goes up 20%?

We all look at these contracts in a vacuum, but it's VERY much about what's coming down the pike and what potential contracts other guys are signing. That's how good proactive teams stay ahead of the curve, and bad reactive teams stay behind it and continue to stink year after year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:15 pm
  • You have to pay the QB.

Mcvay walked into a loaded team, maybe the most talented in the league. I think in time we will see how overrated he is.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:20 pm
  • justafan wrote:You have to pay the QB.

Mcvay walked into a loaded team, maybe the most talented in the league. I think in time we will see how overrated he is.

Sure, the team was loaded, but McVay is a good coach, maybe a bit overrated, but we saw what this talent does with an inferior coach, because Jeff '7-9' Fisher is the defenition of inferior coach.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:59 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    justafan wrote:You have to pay the QB.

Sure, the team was loaded, but McVay is a good coach, maybe a bit overrated, but we saw what this talent does with an inferior coach, because Jeff '7-9' Fisher is the defenition of inferior coach.

Im not saying he isnt good,you are right he is, but he isnt a guru. Fisher sucked . We will see when the cap comes calling and they arent drafting in the top ten every year.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:05 pm
  • justafan wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Im not saying he isnt good,you are right he is, but he isnt a guru. Fisher sucked . We will see when the cap comes calling and they arent drafting in the top ten every year.

I think that with a threat like Gurley, he's managed to dumb-down the offense for Goff, who has a world-class arm with a kindergarten-class head. I think the minute Gurley is no longer a threat, Goff will regress.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:26 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    justafan wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

I think that with a threat like Gurley, he's managed to dumb-down the offense for Goff, who has a world-class arm with a kindergarten-class head. I think the minute Gurley is no longer a threat, Goff will regress.

I agree, But I have a higher opinion of Goff than most. We will see when they lose the talent. That whole team is stocked from the Oline,WR , TE and RBs. He should be able to coach a top five O every year.

IMO Bevel would look good with that talent.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:50 pm
  • bevel would screw it up.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:07 pm
  • They scored 3 points in the SB. How much worse could Bevel have done.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:11 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Um, they don't make EITHER Super Bowl w/out Russ, period. Regardless what any of the Russ bashers tell you.
    :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:31 am
  • justafan wrote:You have to pay the QB.

We’ve already seen it. It was on full display at the Owl. He slobbered all over Billy B. and was excited to see how well he game planned for the Rams and yet did absolutely NOTHING to game plan for the Pats. Knowing full well he didn’t have his star RB at 100%.
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:48 am
  • This is really interesting and I will be monitoring this situation closely. I think PE might be right about the underpinnings of the plan.

The one thing I would say is that this philosophy probably doesn't have a long shelf life. No system or football genius stays at the top for long without a somewhat special player at quarterback.

As a contemporarily unprecedented plan, it would require an unprecedented level of adaptation and flexibility to work. Maybe McVay can stay that good and on top of the curve. But I doubt it.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:11 pm
  • With the example from the Super Bowl, I'm sure there will be plenty of focus around the league on shutting their run game down and making Goff beat them. Lambs play at Carolina at 10 AM tomorrow morning. Gonna be interesting.........
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:02 pm
  • I think Goff is a pretty good QB. Overpriced a bit as He is making basically what Russ is making, but as stated by others in a few years if he is still relevant he will be priced well.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:25 am
  • Go back and watch the Rams - KC shootout last year. You can't watch it and say Goff is just a system QB. I know KC had issues on defense, but he put the ball on the money over and over again

Dude can play

If he is a system QB then it is that he doesn't fit a Fisher system.....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 am
  • ivotuk wrote:I have a theory, and it's much better than Pe's.

Love it! Great call. And of course the theory is better than mine...I whiffed. Big time.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:48 am
  • I would like to applaud the person calling out Minshew. At this point 11 for 11.... Lol what a call
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:50 am
  • mikeak wrote:I would like to applaud the person calling out Minshew. At this point 11 for 11.... Lol what a call

I got something right. Finally.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 am
  • The problem with evaluating QBs is you need to watch a ton of all 22 footage to disaggregate their ability from the system they're playing in.

To be totally honest, this year I think the best window into evaluating how good Jared Goff is doesn't even involve watching Goff.

Instead, watch Andy Dalton. We get to watch a QB we know really well and who has just been pretty average his whole career suddenly get to play in Jared Goff's offense. After the first week when Dalton put up a career day, it's not looking good for Goff.

There could be other reasons for this (the Seahawks running stone aged spot-drop zone schemes all game which this offense is DESIGNED to carve up) and we'll need at least a half season to start to feel comfortable in any predictions, but if I'm being honest my first thought when watching Dalton last week was geez, maybe the Rams shouldn't have given Goff all that money.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:22 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:The problem with evaluating QBs is you need to watch a ton of all 22 footage to disaggregate their ability from the system they're playing in.

To be totally honest, this year I think the best window into evaluating how good Jared Goff is doesn't even involve watching Goff.

Instead, watch Andy Dalton. We get to watch a QB we know really well and who has just been pretty average his whole career suddenly get to play in Jared Goff's offense. After the first week when Dalton put up a career day, it's not looking good for Goff.

There could be other reasons for this (the Seahawks running stone aged spot-drop zone schemes all game which this offense is DESIGNED to carve up) and we'll need at least a half season to start to feel comfortable in any predictions, but if I'm being honest my first thought when watching Dalton last week was geez, maybe the Rams shouldn't have given Goff all that money.

That's assuming Zac Taylor is going to be as good an offensive coach as McVay, which is....a stretch. It'd be different if McVay was coaching Dalton.

Goff has had some great games and some bad games - but he's not even 25 years old yet. I wasn't thrilled with the extension, but the reality is, it doesn't kick in until 2021 - by then even with all that money he will probably only be the 7-10th highest paid QB. He has two years to get to that level consistently, which should be easy - he played like a top 7 QB for most of last year.

I think Dalton had a great game because of a combination of lack of talent in the Seahawks' secondary and it being the first game of the season (Seattle not really knowing what to expect).
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information