My McVay/Rams theory

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
My McVay/Rams theory
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:40 pm
  • So, I have a crazy theory on what model the Rams will be using to build their team. I think the Rams are going to implement a, and the, great experiment. They're gonna follow a model long discussed but never implemented out of fear by GM's and HC's.

I think the Rams are never going to pay their QB. I think the Rams are going to always have a rookie or cheap QB and will NOT resign Goff.

McVay's system makes QB's almost irrelevant. McVay has gifted Goff the best OL, best skill position group, best RB, and best scheme to make easy throws over the middle. On top of that McVay LITERALLY makes the calls for Goff, telling him his read right before the headset turns off at 15 seconds. He doesn't need an elite QB to make that offense click...but he cant have an elite QB and stars everywhere else. So, Goff wont be resigned and McVay will probably draft a QB next year then sign a cheap, Keenum type bridge guy.

I am excited to see the experiment. And I do, somewhat, root for it to succeed, because I think it'll make the game better. Just not against the Hawks.

Anyway, love you.

Sincerely,

Flipper Anderson
    Last edited by pehawk on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: My McVay/Rams throry
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:45 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Not sure you can win a Chip with that mindset though, unless you luck out and hit on a special QB either at the bottom of rd1 or in the lower rounds.

Not sure either...but it's your best chance of ever attaining a roster like 2013 Seahawks or 2017 Eagles.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:46 pm
  • I've thought the same thing about the Rams too. Goff is super overrated and it wouldn't shock me to see him traded before they sign him to a big deal. I don't see them doing that with just anyone but i could see it with Goff for sure.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:48 pm
  • getnasty wrote:I've thought the same thing about the Rams too. Goff is super overrated and it wouldn't shock me to see him traded before they sign him to a big deal. I don't see them doing that with just anyone but i could see it with Goff for sure.

Agreed - but I also think they'll never sign a QB to a big contract. I wouldn't. As long as you have McVay and can spend on OL, RB, WR, and Wade and can spend on defense, they'll always win 11 to 12 games.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:49 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Not sure you can win a Chip with that mindset though, unless you luck out and hit on a special QB either at the bottom of rd1 or in the lower rounds.

When it comes time to sign Goff you just franchise him and trade him for mulitple first round picks. Somebody would trade a top 5 pick for him.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:51 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:I've thought the same thing about the Rams too. Goff is super overrated and it wouldn't shock me to see him traded before they sign him to a big deal. I don't see them doing that with just anyone but i could see it with Goff for sure.

Agreed - but I also think they'll never sign a QB to a big contract. I wouldn't. As long as you have McVay and can spend on OL, RB, WR, and Wade and can spend on defense, they'll always win 11 to 12 games.

It will be interesting to see how teams attack them after the superbowl where they looked horrible.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:04 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    pehawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:I've thought the same thing about the Rams too. Goff is super overrated and it wouldn't shock me to see him traded before they sign him to a big deal. I don't see them doing that with just anyone but i could see it with Goff for sure.

It will be interesting to see how teams attack them after the superbowl where they looked horrible.

Its gonna be great. Unfortunately, McVay is a savant. But...that OL is very, very old. And it began wearing down late last season.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:06 pm
  • getnasty wrote:It will be interesting to see how teams attack them after the superbowl where they looked horrible.

Seems pretty simple to me - just change the D after the QB headset turns off and take McVay out of the equation altogether.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:08 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:It will be interesting to see how teams attack them after the superbowl where they looked horrible.

Seems pretty simple to me - just change the D after the QB headset turns off and take McVay out of the equation altogether.

McVay also didn't do that as much in the SB. They had longer huddles. It was weird. I think he was so scared of Bill, he went against his own system.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:18 pm
  • Interesting throry.

I think the seahawks laid the groundwork for this line of thinking.

If I'm the Rams, I do NOT pay Goff. He's a system qb if I've ever seen one.

That staff doesn't need an all world qb, just one who will follow orders exactly.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:05 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    pehawk wrote:

Its gonna be great. Unfortunately, McVay is a savant. But...that OL is very, very old. And it began wearing down late last season.

And Gurley is busted.

It's always been the case. You stop Gurley, you stop the Rams. That was proven pretty true late last year.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:07 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:It will be interesting to see how teams attack them after the superbowl where they looked horrible.

Need a veteran defense to pull that off. And look at their losses and struggle games. Veteran defenses limited them.

It takes seasoned disciple to not fall for the sparkles.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:28 pm
  • McGruff wrote:
    pehawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    pehawk wrote:

And Gurley is busted.

It's always been the case. You stop Gurley, you stop the Rams. That was proven pretty true late last year.

Bastards drafted the best RB in the draft though. In my hack opinion.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: My McVay/Rams theory
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:34 pm
  • On that we can agree.

I mean . . . That you are a hack.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:46 pm
  • McGruff wrote:On that we can agree.

Reported
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:57 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    McGruff wrote:On that we can agree.

Reported

As expected.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:51 pm
  • Tho you are the first one I remember fronting this theory Pe, it’s been said over and over now.

We are just about to be at the point of fruition for your theory if it holds.

You have put in the time.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:53 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    McGruff wrote:
    pehawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:

And Gurley is busted.

Bastards drafted the best RB in the draft though. In my hack opinion.

Yes they did.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:38 am
  • As to the actual football comments, didn’t see anything other than over hashed Rams cliches.

Not going to waste my time debating things said that any uneducated media hack can spout.

Will discuss Rams here this season when the games start.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:05 am
  • RedAlice wrote:Tho you are the first one I remember fronting this theory Pe, it’s been said over and over now.

We are just about to be at the point of fruition for your theory if it holds.

You have put in the time.

Tical floated this idea when Wilson was still on his rookie deal.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:35 am
  • Pe has been spouting it for a long long while re Goff.

Is your point that Pe stole Tical’s idea about Wilson and put it on Goff?
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:36 am
  • RedAlice wrote:Pe has been spouting it for a long long while re Goff.

Not saying he stole anything, just saying I think Tical was the first one to propose that idea on .NET.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:43 am
  • The concept of the generic QB on a rookie deal leading his team to heaven and being a replaceable cog?

That’s probably as old as dirt in concept, wishes and mirages.

Pehawk is specifically applying a theory.

I no longer thing he’s right. But I do think he’s the first to so exactly state it all over the Internet.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:47 am
  • No. I'm saying, Tical floated the idea to let Wilson go and NOT pay him, while he was still on his rookie deal.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:48 am
  • The replaceable QB.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:11 am
  • Not a theory. It's a hypothesis.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:20 am
  • It was clearly stated as a theory.

I guess only on .NET would bringing Wilson into a theory about Goff make sense.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:37 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    RedAlice wrote:Pe has been spouting it for a long long while re Goff.

Not saying he stole anything, just saying I think Tical was the first one to propose that idea on .NET.

I recall SpinDoctor saying something also..
    I do know there were a few of us who agreed on this
    from way back..I'm not alone :irishdrinkers:
    I hope the Rams do it Alice..The cycle has to be ended.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 am
  • For sure it's not an original idea but no one has had the balls to do it.

I've theorized since McVays first offseason this was what he was going to do it. McVay would be the first to do it. Which is what Red Alice is saying I was first about.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:29 am
  • When's goffs contract up?

They'd be picking in the back end of rounds, making it a bit more difficult.

Not sure Goff himself is worth the big contract
    McVay is the MvP there
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:35 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:When's goffs contract up?

McVay is the MvP there

I think after this year.

I don't even think they need a first round type. I think even a lesser round guy, who's smart and can throw over the middle, could succeed. A Minshew type would work. Or a 3rd or 4th round type.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:56 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:When's goffs contract up?

McVay is the MvP there

I think after this year.

I don't even think they need a first round type. I think even a lesser round guy, who's smart and can throw over the middle, could succeed. A Minshew type would work. Or a 3rd or 4th round type.

Minshew is a good shout. Strong arm, 4 year player, smart and was pretty successful but undervalued in the draft.

Not sure Goff had a better resume coming out of college.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:19 am
  • May want to check again, Si.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:43 am
  • RedAlice wrote:The concept of the generic QB on a rookie deal leading his team to heaven and being a replaceable cog?

Actually, it's probably no older than the current NFLPA contract. Remember the old days, when every newly-drafted QB was automatically the highest-paid player in the league?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:56 am
  • pehawk wrote:May want to check again, Si.

Which part?

Goffs resume out of college, or Minshews ability? Maybe they hype was higher on Goff than I remember... or care to

Maybe underrating one or overrating the other to be fair.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:01 am
  • Minshews arm strength and the 4 year starter statement. Neither is true. Minshew was a back up 4 years.

His lack of arm strength would definetly cause McVay to dial some stuff back. But, if ever given a player like Minshew, McVay would most likely adopt some of Pederson's RPOs. And the the offense wouldnt miss a beat.

I think McVay could adjust and succeed with anyone.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:16 am
  • pehawk wrote:Minshews arm strength and the 4 year starter statement. Neither is true. Minshew was a back up 4 years.

His lack of arm strength would definetly cause McVay to dial some stuff back. But, if ever given a player like Minshew, McVay would most likely adopt some of Pederson's RPOs. And the the offense wouldnt miss a beat.

I think McVay could adjust and succeed with anyone.

Didn't say a 4 year starter... just a 4 year player... meaning he was older and coached longer in college. Maybe that's not a big deal at the QB position.

I thought Minshews was lauded for his arm strength at WSU? Better than Browning at least.

Still... you're right with McVay.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:17 am
  • Gothcya.

You're arm is better than Browning, tbf.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:18 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    RedAlice wrote:The concept of the generic QB on a rookie deal leading his team to heaven and being a replaceable cog?

Actually, it's probably no older than the current NFLPA contract. Remember the old days, when every newly-drafted QB was automatically the highest-paid player in the league?

Are you asking me if I remember the nightmare of B?

I do sir.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:21 am
  • And. Lol.

Thank you! That’s funny whoever did that. :irishdrinkers:
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 am
  • pehawk wrote:So, I have a crazy theory on what model the Rams will be using to build their team. I think the Rams are going to implement a, and the, great experiment. They're gonna follow a model long discussed but never implemented out of fear by GM's and HC's.

I think the Rams are never going to pay their QB. I think the Rams are going to always have a rookie or cheap QB and will NOT resign Goff.

McVay's system makes QB's almost irrelevant. McVay has gifted Goff the best OL, best skill position group, best RB, and best scheme to make easy throws over the middle. On top of that McVay LITERALLY makes the calls for Goff, telling him his read right before the headset turns off at 15 seconds. He doesn't need an elite QB to make that offense click...but he cant have an elite QB and stars everywhere else. So, Goff wont be resigned and McVay will probably draft a QB next year then sign a cheap, Keenum type bridge guy.

I am excited to see the experiment. And I do, somewhat, root for it to succeed, because I think it'll make the game better. Just not against the Hawks.

Anyway, love you.

Sincerely,

Flipper Anderson

After 2020 we'll find out, when Goff's contract expires.

This year the Rams will gor far and we know about recent big money QB contracts.....
    Vesuve
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:35 am
  • A lot of this will come down to how much money Goff wants.

If the Rams had a top tier QB (and I don't think they do) I think there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that they wouldn't resign him. That would be the test of this theory, but I don't think we'll get to see it, because even in a vacuum IMO Goff is fine but is a replaceable player.

TBF I also don't think I'm as sold on McVay as the rest of the league is. There's a piece of me that wonders if he's the 2019 version of Chip Kelly taking the league by storm in his first couple years, or if he can develop and adapt.

If McVay keeps on running his entire offense out of a single formation and spamming the same five or six concepts over and over again as he has been, that's Chip Kelly, and the league will catch up.

If he can develop a curve and changeup to go with his fastball he might end up being the offensive genius that everyone has already touted him as.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:38 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:A lot of this will come down to how much money Goff wants.

If the Rams had a top tier QB (and I don't think they do) I think there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that they wouldn't resign him. That would be the test of this theory, but I don't think we'll get to see it, because even in a vacuum IMO Goff is fine but is a replaceable player.

TBF I also don't think I'm as sold on McVay as the rest of the league is. There's a piece of me that wonders if he's the 2019 version of Chip Kelly taking the league by storm in his first couple years, or if he can develop and adapt.

If McVay keeps on running his entire offense out of a single formation and spamming the same five or six concepts over and over again as he has been, that's Chip Kelly, and the league will catch up.

If he can develop a curve and changeup to go with his fastball he might end up being the offensive genius that everyone has already touted him as.

That's where we part ways. McVay dumbed down his QB position so much he doesn't need to spend crazy cash or capital.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:58 pm

I'll give McVay credit inasmuch as McVay runs his team like an NFL coach instead of Chipper's obsession with the college game. His offensive style completely killed his defense, and McVay doesn't have that issue. Not to mention, Pete Carroll put the blueprint out on stopping Chip Kelly in 2014 when Seattle held a Chip Kelly offense to it's lowest total yards since Kelly was at New Hampshire (139 offensive yards). Before that game, Kelly's record was 19-9. From that game forward, it was 7-12 (with the Eagles, if you add his season in SF, it goes to 9-26, but the 49ers were talent starved, which I think mitigates how bad Kelly was there).
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:39 am

Goff is approaching top 10 QB status. I'm not sure what that means to people, but that's probably a fair evaluation of where he is.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment about him in a vacuum, but the following players are in the same category:

Stafford
    Newton
    Eli Manning (entire career)
    Dak
    Garrapolo
    Watson
    Carr
    Winston
    Mariota
    Foles

These are all guys whose performance doesn't match the money they'd get. The difference is that the Rams have better offensive talent than all of those teams, so the idea of replacing Goff is more enticing.

Now having said all that - I am not opposed to replacing him. The only QBs I would pay "QB money" are Rodgers, Brees and Brady though.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:37 am
  • Ramfan128 wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:A lot of this will come down to how much money Goff wants.

Goff is approaching top 10 QB status. I'm not sure what that means to people, but that's probably a fair evaluation of where he is.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment about him in a vacuum, but the following players are in the same category:

Stafford
    Newton
    Eli Manning (entire career)
    Dak
    Garrapolo
    Watson
    Carr
    Winston
    Mariota
    Foles

These are all guys whose performance doesn't match the money they'd get. The difference is that the Rams have better offensive talent than all of those teams, so the idea of replacing Goff is more enticing.

Now having said all that - I am not opposed to replacing him. The only QBs I would pay "QB money" are Rodgers, Brees and Brady though.

Goff is NOT top 10. He's shown almost no ability to shoulder the team in the clutch (73.6 rating, 2 TDs, 2 Ints in 4 postseason games), and when Gurley is hurt, which is becoming a bigger concern with his arthritis diagnosis, he looks lost. I would take Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Wilson, Luck, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Newton, and Foles over Goff. In a heartbeat. And probably Watson, too, because his play feels less like the sum of the talent around him.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:59 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Goff is NOT top 10. He's shown almost no ability to shoulder the team in the clutch (73.6 rating, 2 TDs, 2 Ints in 4 postseason games), and when Gurley is hurt, which is becoming a bigger concern with his arthritis diagnosis, he looks lost. I would take Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Wilson, Luck, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Newton, and Foles over Goff. In a heartbeat. And probably Watson, too, because his play feels less like the sum of the talent around him.

Either were guys like Garoppolo, Smith, Cousins, Flacco, Foles, Carr, etc when they signed their big extensions.

If you're a good starting QB in the NFL, you're going to get paid, by someone. Maybe McVay will balk at giving Goff a monster extension.............especially if Goff plays this year like he did in the SB after Belichick gave the entire league the blueprint on how to frustrate and confuse Goff.

I'm also of the mindset that McVay doesn't want to extend Goff if he doesn't have to, but if Goff has another year like he did last year, he's gonna want Russell Wilson money.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:13 pm
  • Goff top 10. Seems legit :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:45 am
  • To be fair he said ‘approaching top 10’, that’s a very fair statement in my opinion.
    original poster
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:07 am
  • I just wonder if Belicheck put a blue print out on McVay/Goff. Goff tanks under pressure. So jam the thunder out of his recievers and blitz all day.
    SuperMan28
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information