Malik Mcdowell arrested for theft, assaulting an officer

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • According to Mike Martindale of the Detroit News, McDowell is facing charges of assault and resisting arrest, operating a vehicle while intoxicated, and receiving and concealing stolen property from a pair of incidents in recent months. McDowell is set to appear in Oakland County Circuit Court on Thursday.


    Citing police reports, McDowell was stopped in February on suspicion of drunken driving. McDowell demanded to speak to a supervisor and was told one was not available. He then exited the vehicle and entered a nearby gas station when the cop confronted McDowell again and an altercation took place. McDowell subdued the officer despite being tasered until a second officer arrived and managed to arrest him.
    In April, a stolen truck’s GPS unit was traced to a closed garage at McDowell’s residence. McDowell claimed he had purchased the $74,000 Ford F-150 Raptor pickup for $3,000 off the street. The truck is one of several to be stolen from a Ford Motor Company overflow lot in Dearborn.


    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/27/malik-mcdowell-facing-charges-for-assaulting-police-officer-concealing-stolen-truck/
    Seahawks4life
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 184
    Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 4:24 pm
    Location: Vancouver,WA


  • Wow. I honestly don't even know where to begin on this one.

    Dude is a dipshit.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Sandpoint , Idaho


  • Absolute moron. Good riddance and good luck staying out the slammer.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2107
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • This guy is making a lot of bad choices.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 16639
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • BROCK AND SALK
    June 27, 2019 - Hour 1

    Brock & Salk discuss toolsy JP Crawford coming into his own as a Mariner.

    John Clayton joins the show to give his take on the Malik McDowell arrest.

    Is Scott Servais's job in jeopardy?

    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... k+and+Salk
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 18928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • You cannot fix stupid!! Still cannot believe this guy was drafted by us, he is what he's always been. What a blind, hands over our ears....la la la dumb ass decision to bring him into the locker room. :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6862
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:41 pm


  • Just like Santa Clara with Foster.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12760
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • I’m willing to bet he is dead broke. Pissing away millions in a little over 2 years time?
    Guys like this spend money like there is no tomorrow. If he still had the money he could afford to buy that $74,000 truck off the lot instead of buying it stolen off a criminal for $3,000. He has zero common sense.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25437
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Seymour wrote:You cannot fix stupid!! Still cannot believe this guy was drafted by us, he is what he's always been. What a blind, hands over our ears....la la la dumb ass decision to bring him into the locker room. :pukeface:

    Yep, they overlooked a lot of red flags with that pick. Pete and John were probably thinking they could fix him if they got him in the right environment.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25437
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Seymour wrote:You cannot fix stupid!! Still cannot believe this guy was drafted by us, he is what he's always been. What a blind, hands over our ears....la la la dumb ass decision to bring him into the locker room. :pukeface:

    Yep, they overlooked a lot of red flags with that pick. Pete and John were probably thinking they could fix him if they got him in the right environment.


    I'm glad they just cut bait instead of excusing and enabling him like some franchises do.

    ;)
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5480
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Waiting for his defense to be Head Trauma and he has impulse control issues.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 27795
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • chris98251 wrote:Waiting for his defense to be Head Trauma and he has impulse control issues.


    I do wonder. Before the accident his issues were football related - effort and attitude. There weren't off the field or criminal related concerns.But take away the structure of football and replace it with a TBI and frontal lobe damage and that's a dangerous mix.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2388
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 2:45 pm


  • Glad he never suited up here. Time to move on.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 6840
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • Malik not only messed up his only life, he also caused damage to our team. With that, all I can say is may he spend long time in prison.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by toffee on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


  • toffee wrote:Malone not only messed up his only life, he also caused damage to our team. With that, all I can say is may he spend long time in prison.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Let's wait for a trial and conviction first.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2388
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 2:45 pm


  • Cyrus12 wrote: Time to move on.


    Yep.

    Good luck Malik, seems like you're probably going to need it.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3151
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • Was this entire fiasco with him a complete surprise ?
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 879
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


  • xray wrote:Was this entire fiasco with him a complete surprise ?


    My guess is the Seahawks had gotten word about the incident(s) and it was likely the final nail in the coffin in regards to cutting him.

    I wonder if they suspected some serious impulse control/CTE issues after the head injury and that was one of the reasons he was never cleared.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2107
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    xray wrote:Was this entire fiasco with him a complete surprise ?


    My guess is the Seahawks had gotten word about the incident(s) and it was likely the final nail in the coffin in regards to cutting him.

    I wonder if they suspected some serious impulse control/CTE issues after the head injury and that was one of the reasons he was never cleared.


    Or he was just a draft pick that went horribly bad .
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 879
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


  • xray wrote:Was this entire fiasco with him a complete surprise ?


    I think the post-accident criminal behavior is certainly a surprise. As his issues as a prospect were effort and attitude related as it pertained to football, and not off the field; and frankly, not in the same realm as some of the issues that successful draft picks like Clark and Sweezy had.

    But, suffering a TBI at 21, and any frontal lobe damage can seriously impact impulse control and bring on anti-social behaviors. That's a dangerous mix without the structure and peer support that football provided.

    No college education, probably not in any mental shape to pursue an education now, owes a lot of money and if he ever is able to get a job his wages will likely be garnished (but who would hire him after googling him?) , living with the ramifications of a TBI. I hope I'm wrong, but the future isn't promising and I'm not sure how he pulls himself out of this hole.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2388
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 2:45 pm



  • kobebryant wrote:
    xray wrote:Was this entire fiasco with him a complete surprise ?


    I think the post-accident criminal behavior is certainly a surprise. As his issues as a prospect were effort and attitude related as it pertained to football, and not off the field; and frankly, not in the same realm as some of the issues that successful draft picks like Clark and Sweezy had.

    But, suffering a TBI at 21, and any frontal lobe damage can seriously impact impulse control and bring on anti-social behaviors. That's a dangerous mix without the structure and peer support that football provided.

    No college education, probably not in any mental shape to pursue an education now, owes a lot of money and if he ever is able to get a job his wages will likely be garnished (but who would hire him after googling him?) , living with the ramifications of a TBI. I hope I'm wrong, but the future isn't promising and I'm not sure how he pulls himself out of this hole.


    HOW, do you know that he has TBI and Frontal Lobe Damage?

    Honestly, I feel bad for the guy, IMHO, he's an alcoholic, and that would explain his issues from College until now.

    Also, he could have done some real damage to that cop if he wanted to. The size difference was disconcerting. I think the officer jumped the gun and should have waited for back up. You don't try to handle a drunk of that size by yourself. ESPECIALLY, when there's a 2nd person in the car!

    I don't think McDowell's intent was ever to hurt anyone, he was just hammered out of his mind and allowing his drunk self to make the decisions. Malik doesn't need jail, he needs to be institutionalized for medical and emotional issues.

    I'll give credit to the Seahawks for keeping him around long enough to see that he got all the help he could. I don't know if that was their intention, but that's how Pete operates. He truly cares about his players.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 18928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska



  • Blitzer88 wrote:https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/09/malik-mcdowell-fights-cop-after-being-tased-insane-video/


    Dude needs help.....

    Someone should get him a supervisor.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Sandpoint , Idaho


  • I think he wanted a supervisor. :lol:
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 6748
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • Sports Hernia wrote:After watching the video he is damn lucky the cop showed tremendous restraint.
    The guy is lucky to be alive.

    https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/09/malik-mc ... ane-video/


    So THIS. That first cop was very impressive in dealing with that situation, in all facets, including a smaller guy dealing with a Goliath like McDowell. Hell, sign the cop to a futures contract and get him in the Seahawks weightroom, he looks like a guy Tom Cable could turn into a decent offensive lineman. Oops, never mind. Too late. That and/or McDowell maybe wasn't going to be the pass rusher Pete thought.

    Many asshats have been shot and killed for less in altercations with police. Cop tased him first, looked like it just pissed McD off rather than immobilizing him. Getting .18 BAC drunk and driving? STUPID. Coming after an armed cop? beyond STUPID. McDowell seems to be too stupid to stop and reflect (in a sober state) that he is lucky to even be above ground, alive, after that fiasco.

    Concur with the conclusion he must have blown through nearly all his available cash to "purchase" a $74K truck off the street for $3,000. You can take the boy out of the hood...

    It's ridiculous to compare Malik McD to Frank Clark in any way, shape, or form, at any point in their careers, regarding off-field stuff. Very, very different situations. Clark, as a college freshman IIRC, did stupid shit, accepted consequences, learned, repented, came back wiser, and went to work. Never, never, never did I ever see even one hint of Clark taking plays off, lacking effort, etc., at *any* point in his career. Clark got blown up and attacked by the media because he had the bad judgment to get mixed up with a psycho GF.

    In fairness, agreed the head injury of McDowell's is a factor. He's lucky to be alive at all. Prison might be the safest place for McDowell for a while, seriously.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2345
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am




  • Well I think we now know what those other reasons were..... fighting cops and stealing cars?
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 6748
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • twisted_steel2 wrote:

    Well I think we now know what those other reasons were..... fighting cops and stealing cars?


    It seems his head is the issue, but perhaps not related to the accident. :Dunno:
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2229
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:25 am


  • THI or not he probably has some realization that he made one mistake getting on the ATV and it essentially completely screwed him. Part of this is likely not yet coming to grips with his situation. Imagine one minute you hold the winning lottery ticket and then you realize it went down the garbage disposal. Its even worse because he worked his whole life to get there.

    That said the video should be all over twitter as a testament to police restraint. It is terrible when a person is shot and killed by police when it wasn't necessary but I have a feeling that cases like this happen a large majority of the time and no one hears about them. When he got up after being tazed that could have been it for MM. He just got a new lease on life and maybe he can reflect on that and change his life around.
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 663
    Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:33 am
    Location: Covington WA


  • Malik was acting like an idiot. The officer should have waited for backup, though. Not sure why he thought he could single-handedly take on a guy Malik’s size, but that was ill advised. He did show excellent restraint in not immediately pulling out a firearm, and I'm glad to see that.

    I hope for Malik’s sake that he doesn't have either a drinking problem or lasting brain injury effects and that he can get his life together.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 7020
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


  • Got to wonder what was the first cop’s height and weight, he looked like a toddler next that ex-Seahawk. Also got to wonder what took that lady cop or partner so long to come and help.

    The first cop got balls the size of basketball, for sure.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


  • BOB, GROZ AND TOM July 9, 2019 - Hour 1

    Bob and Groz recap a Home Run Derby for the ages. Was this the best home run derby in recent memory? Was it good for the future of baseball?

    Then, the guys discuss the disturbing released video of Malik McDowell's arrest and what has sadly happened to the former Seahawk.

    Then, Serena Williams caused $10,000 worth of damage to a Wimbledon court...Wait a Minute, What?

    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... oz+and+Tom
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 18928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • Pros: He is a big individual. He holds up well to taser attacks. Balance is top notch.

    Cons: Doesn't use his hands well. Arm length doesn't seem to translate to the next level, struggles with smaller less athletic opponents.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1345
    Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:43 pm
    Location: davenport


  • Two reasons why the taser wasnt effective: Malik was wearing thick clothes and the taser was deployed closer than the recommended range. Probes deployed too close will have a smaller spread so the current applied is insufficient.

    Also, Malik and his buddy were clearly under the influence and appeared to have problems walking straight at moments.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1649
    Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:31 am


  • Absolutely LOVE what Groz has to say here. Bob Stelton keeps trying to make it out like the Seahawks should change their draft philosophy because of this, but Groz reminds him that Malik's issues pre-draft were effort related, NOT criminal.

    Groz also correctly states that we don't know anything about McDowell's character pre-draft, pre-injury, or post-injury. He also states that "The Seahawks never got a chance to work with him." Indicating that Pete likes to take troubled young men and help them to become productive young men. Witnessed by his "Better LA" work, and Bettter Seattle work.

    Pete does have a track record of turning young men in to better versions of themselves.

    ivotuk wrote:BOB, GROZ AND TOM July 9, 2019 - Hour 1

    Bob and Groz recap a Home Run Derby for the ages. Was this the best home run derby in recent memory? Was it good for the future of baseball?

    Then, the guys discuss the disturbing released video of Malik McDowell's arrest and what has sadly happened to the former Seahawk.

    Then, Serena Williams caused $10,000 worth of damage to a Wimbledon court...Wait a Minute, What?

    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... oz+and+Tom
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 18928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • bevellisthedevil wrote:Pros: He is a big individual. He holds up well to taser attacks. Balance is top notch.

    Cons: Doesn't use his hands well. Arm length doesn't seem to translate to the next level, struggles with smaller less athletic opponents.


    /thread
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2107
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    bevellisthedevil wrote:Pros: He is a big individual. He holds up well to taser attacks. Balance is top notch.

    Cons: Doesn't use his hands well. Arm length doesn't seem to translate to the next level, struggles with smaller less athletic opponents.


    /thread


    That's how I felt too when I read that! :irishdrinkers:

    So the problem was Pete and John just didn't have enough film before the draft to properly evaluate McDowell? Well, there's plenty of film out there on him now!
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2345
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


  • olyfan63 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    bevellisthedevil wrote:Pros: He is a big individual. He holds up well to taser attacks. Balance is top notch.

    Cons: Doesn't use his hands well. Arm length doesn't seem to translate to the next level, struggles with smaller less athletic opponents.


    /thread


    That's how I felt too when I read that! :irishdrinkers:

    So the problem was Pete and John just didn't have enough film before the draft to properly evaluate McDowell? Well, there's plenty of film out there on him now!


    FINALLY some game tape.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2107
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • Malik McDowell chasing down Johnny Manziel: coming soon to an irrelevant football league near you!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1016
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:36 pm


  • James in PA wrote:Malik McDowell chasing down Johnny Manziel: coming soon to an irrelevant football league near you!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Not sure about that. It will take a ton of plea bargaining to keep him out of jail for less than a year I would think.

    Any reasonable jury or judge would convict him immediately after viewing the footage.

    I didn't look up specific statutes, but I know that it pisses a LOT of people off when you put your hands on a officer.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Sandpoint , Idaho


  • Sports Hernia wrote:I’m willing to bet he is dead broke. Pissing away millions in a little over 2 years time?
    Guys like this spend money like there is no tomorrow. If he still had the money he could afford to buy that $74,000 truck off the lot instead of buying it stolen off a criminal for $3,000. He has zero common sense.


    Yeah, he'll be broke soon if not already.
    Vesuve
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 376
    Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:02 pm


  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Seymour wrote:You cannot fix stupid!! Still cannot believe this guy was drafted by us, he is what he's always been. What a blind, hands over our ears....la la la dumb ass decision to bring him into the locker room. :pukeface:

    Yep, they overlooked a lot of red flags with that pick. Pete and John were probably thinking they could fix him if they got him in the right environment.



    OR he suffered a massive TBI during his accident and it jacked up his frontal lobe - I see it everyday and wouldn't be so quick to judge. May not be under his control.
    OneLofaTatupu
    * NET Shrink *
     
    Posts: 1645
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:04 pm
    Location: Seattle, WA




It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online