Kyler Murray crushed the Cardinals' offseason, teammates say

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• Wait until they can hit.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Of course his teammates would say that...no different than Wilson's teammates saying that they actually like his reality show...when it starts
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• There is more to the article than what a subject title is necessarily limited to. We are in the eye of a 6 week dead spot with regards to news coverage. The article provides some useful content in the form of background and first impressions about a new offense taking shape in Arizona. It's a good time to catch up on the rest of the division and league. The alternative is silence which is death to a forum.

"First off, he's faster and quicker than I thought when we got on the field,” running back David Johnson said. "I think a lot of people underestimate how great he can throw. He throws a dart. Accurate dart.

I thought the addition of JR Sweezy was a great move by the Cardinals. Nice complement for 1st year QB Kyler Murray.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• I think he is super talented but will be injury prone throughout his career imo.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• bevellisthedevil wrote:I think he is super talented but will be injury prone throughout his career imo.

Gotta catch him to hurt him . He probably will take the least sacks in the division. IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

• That kid has got super star written all over him .
    xray
    NET Veteran

• He hasn't played a down in the NFL, easy kid :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• xray wrote:That kid has got super star written all over him .

We will see. I wouldn’t put money on it.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• xray wrote:That kid has got super star written all over him .

Everybody said the same thing about Johnny Football.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:
    xray wrote:That kid has got super star written all over him .

More said he was gonna bust.
    ClutchDJ
    NET Rookie

• Sadly, Kyler Murray will be the closest thing there could ever be to a Russell Wilson 2.0.
    Happily for AZ fans.

He's not going to bust, far from it, and he will mostly stay healthy, and he has a head coach and an offense that is built around him; Russell's rookie records are in considerable danger. Murray has the smarts and the leadership qualities, just like Wilson. He has Wilson's quickness and speed, plus a half-gear extra. He has the ability to elevate the play of his teammates. It's no wonder the Cards were willing to part company with Josh Rosen.

I have to admit my bias coming in was to think that Murray would be like a smaller, lighter, more fragile Robert Griffin III. Then I went to do some research, and concluded I was very wrong in that comparison. Russell Wilson is the best comp for Murray. Even down to the baseball background.

I only watched one game of Murray in college, whatever the bowl game was he was in, and he was freakin electric. But I thought he'd get crushed in the NFL. First the defenses gotta catch him. Few or none can.

Understand, I'm not pleased to write this, to come to these conclusions. It's just that it's where all the available Kyler Murray data points lead. We're probably looking at a split with the Cardinals this season, depending on how much our defense improves from last year.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• olyfan63 wrote:
    I only watched one game of Murray in college, whatever the bowl game was he was in, and he was freakin electric. But I thought he'd get crushed in the NFL. First the defenses gotta catch him. Few or none can.

I wasn't actually impressed with the bowl game. Once he settled down, he was pretty good but he was pretty deer in headlights and hearing footsteps at the beginning.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:I wasn't actually impressed with the bowl game. Once he settled down, he was pretty good but he was pretty deer in headlights and hearing footsteps at the beginning.

Not going to make an argument for his pure quarterbacking on that one.
    I was impressed with his elite quickness, making other quick and fast guys look slow and sluggish, and making things happen in the 2nd half. I didn't really see any of his first half, did gather it wasn't that great.

In the NFL he just needs to be smarter than Robert Griffin III and I think he's got that one nailed.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• Hasn't played a single down in the NFL, only played a handful of games in college and he's somehow already an All-Pro :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• olyfan63 wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:I wasn't actually impressed with the bowl game. Once he settled down, he was pretty good but he was pretty deer in headlights and hearing footsteps at the beginning.

Not going to make an argument for his pure quarterbacking on that one.
    I was impressed with his elite quickness, making other quick and fast guys look slow and sluggish, and making things happen in the 2nd half. I didn't really see any of his first half, did gather it wasn't that great.

In the NFL he just needs to be smarter than Robert Griffin III and I think he's got that one nailed.

It was definitely a tale of two halves. I think it's easy to say he'll settle down and be more like the second half as he grows in the NFL but it's also fair to say that facing NFL defenses will be even tougher than facing Alabama's defense (though maybe not by much).
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• olyfan63 wrote:Sadly, Kyler Murray will be the closest thing there could ever be to a Russell Wilson 2.0.
    Happily for AZ fans.

He's not going to bust, far from it, and he will mostly stay healthy, and he has a head coach and an offense that is built around him; Russell's rookie records are in considerable danger. Murray has the smarts and the leadership qualities, just like Wilson. He has Wilson's quickness and speed, plus a half-gear extra. He has the ability to elevate the play of his teammates. It's no wonder the Cards were willing to part company with Josh Rosen.

I have to admit my bias coming in was to think that Murray would be like a smaller, lighter, more fragile Robert Griffin III. Then I went to do some research, and concluded I was very wrong in that comparison. Russell Wilson is the best comp for Murray. Even down to the baseball background.

Understand, I'm not pleased to write this, to come to these conclusions. It's just that it's where all the available Kyler Murray data points lead. We're probably looking at a split with the Cardinals this season, depending on how much our defense improves from last year.

Few or none can catch him?
    Few or none COLLEGE players could catch him.
    I watched every game he played in besides blacked out games (my fiance is from Oklahoma.
    College defenses suck.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

• GeekHawk wrote:

They did?

I remember everyone bagging on the Browns for being the Browns and taking him late in the 1st round.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Cardinals seem pleased by him. But the rest of the league it is up in the air. That is just a practice.
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

• Passepartout wrote:Cardinals seem pleased by him. But the rest of the league it is up in the air. That is just a practice.

They are always pleased at first, then they have to go get a Carson Palmer, or Kurt Warner.

They were pleased with Matt Leinart also and Josh Rosen.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Kyler is crushing his off season just like our DK crushing his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Except the last time they had a hand picked QB that was even close to good in the draft was Jake Plummer who had an attitude and wanted money so they traded him to KC.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Except the last time they had a hand picked QB that was even close to good in the draft was Jake Plummer who had an attitude and wanted money so they traded him to KC.

Jake Plummer was was never traded to KC. He signed with the Broncos as a free agent in '03. They benched him in '06 for Jay Cutler, then traded to Tampa in '07, where he retired without playing a down.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    Passepartout wrote:Cardinals seem pleased by him. But the rest of the league it is up in the air. That is just a practice.

They are always pleased at first, then they have to go get a Carson Palmer, or Kurt Warner.

They were pleased with Matt Leinart also and Josh Rosen.

I’m pretty sure every fanbase is pleased every time they draft for a potential franchise QB.
    ClutchDJ
    NET Rookie

• I don't think the Eagles were when they drafted McNabb.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:I don't think the Eagles were when they drafted McNabb.

And they wanted Ricky Williams. I'd say Philly fans were pretty stupid in that case.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• There have def. been times when a fan base is not stoked about the choice at QB. Mcnabb is a great example.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Maulbert wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Except the last time they had a hand picked QB that was even close to good in the draft was Jake Plummer who had an attitude and wanted money so they traded him to KC.

Jake Plummer was was never traded to KC. He signed with the Broncos as a free agent in '03. They benched him in '06 for Jay Cutler, then traded to Tampa in '07, where he retired without playing a down.

Sorry your right, it was the Broncos but it was still about the Money in Arizona, Bidwells were Cheap asses for a long time till they got their Stadium.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I'm looking forward to seeing how he does. Between him and Mayfield I felt Murray was the better QB coming out.
    SuperMan28
    NET Rookie

• He will be the best scrambling QB in the league . The Cards may not win many games this year ; but Murray will have defenses coughing up blood trying to catch him . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

• There's a lot more to the QB position than scrambling. I'll wait to see it with my own eyes. Hype doesn't win games.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• I would've ear marked him as a bust. But then he got a coach who is going to put him in an offense he will be comfortable in.

So now I need to see how he avoids hits, he is very slight, and can't afford to take unnecessary hits.

He could be a guy that could be a star for 15-20 yrs. Or flame out really quickly in a year or two like an RGIII. It's going to come down to how he avoids contact. He is a baseball player so he can slide and get down, and he must. Or he will be RGIII'd.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:I would've ear marked him as a bust. But then he got a coach who is going to put him in an offense he will be comfortable in.

So now I need to see how he avoids hits, he is very slight, and can't afford to take unnecessary hits.

He could be a guy that could be a star for 15-20 yrs. Or flame out really quickly in a year or two like an RGIII. It's going to come down to how he avoids contact. He is a baseball player so he can slide and get down, and he must. Or he will be RGIII'd.

He better be smart one scissor tackle and he will be broke in to.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• He's gonna be electric.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• To me..He probaly will have it real easy under todays rules being what
    they are.
    Back in the day there is no way anyone would use a short skinny QB.
    He would have been in pieces no matter what offense he is in.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:To me..He probaly will have it real easy under todays rules being what
    they are.
    Back in the day there is no way anyone would use a short skinny QB.
    He would have been in pieces no matter what offense he is in.

Short and skinny may be problematic but the real issue with him is those 28” arms, no QB in NFL history rocked with something that short.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Nah, according to some, this guy is basically a future HOF :stirthepot:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Nah, according to some, this guy is basically a future HOF :stirthepot:

:lol: some compare him to RW..
    I'm not one of them. ;)
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Once I see him play in real NFL regular season games and tear it up, I'll believe. Until then, nope.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Hello all! Long time no talk. Hope to be a little more involved this year in Football. I've been traveling the last two years almost full time so it's been busy. Hope everyone is healthy and doing well!
    ringless
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:I would've ear marked him as a bust. But then he got a coach who is going to put him in an offense he will be comfortable in.

i can’t see beyond his 28” arms, may be he’s a t-Rex?

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Wilson was supposed to be to small to make it . Fran Tarkentan was about 190 lbs . Flutie was about 5'9". All good scramblers . To hurt them you have to catch them first . Murray will have defenders puking blood trying to catch him .IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

• xray wrote:Wilson was supposed to be to small to make it . Fran Tarkentan was about 190 lbs . Flutie was about 5'9". All good scramblers . To hurt them you have to catch them first . Murray will have defenders puking blood trying to catch him .IMO

Murray is shorter, smaller, and has shorter arms and smaller hands than Wilson. I'm still skeptical about small QBs. Wilson is short, but he is not small.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    xray wrote:Wilson was supposed to be to small to make it . Fran Tarkentan was about 190 lbs . Flutie was about 5'9". All good scramblers . To hurt them you have to catch them first . Murray will have defenders puking blood trying to catch him .IMO

Murray is shorter, smaller, and has shorter arms and smaller hands than Wilson. I'm still skeptical about small QBs. Wilson is short, but he is not small.

You know Ciara?
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Maulbert wrote:
    xray wrote:Wilson was supposed to be to small to make it . Fran Tarkentan was about 190 lbs . Flutie was about 5'9". All good scramblers . To hurt them you have to catch them first . Murray will have defenders puking blood trying to catch him .IMO

Russell, compared to your typical average QB frame, is small.

Being bigger than Kyler doesn’t make him any less small.
    ClutchDJ
    NET Rookie

• ClutchDJ wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Russell, compared to your typical average QB frame, is small.

Being bigger than Kyler doesn’t make him any less small.

There's a difference between being small and being short.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:

They did?

I remember everyone bagging on the Browns for being the Browns and taking him late in the 1st round.

Yeah, I was in front of the TV screen pleading with Jerry Jones to take him and "break the internet," as they were saying. I was so wishing him upon the Cowgirls, because I thought he would be awful.

Didn't realize he would also be a mess off the field, since I didn't care at all about his making the National Communists Against Athletes cry buckets by selling his autograph.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

You know Ciara?
    dude’s arm are only 28”, that’s 3-4” shorter than other QBs.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• He will be on the NFL network Thursday night vs the Chargers...I will check him out for myself .
    xray
    NET Veteran

• Well, you can bet people will act like he's the next Mahomes if he carves up a bunch of guys who won't even make NFL Rosters
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Next

It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information