Bart Starr Passed Away

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Bart Starr Passed Away
Sun May 26, 2019 9:46 am

Re: Bart Starr Passed Away
Sun May 26, 2019 12:55 pm
  • Although I wasn't a Packers fan, Starr was one of my childhood idols. I saw someone say that a good comparison for those of you that never saw him play would be Troy Aikman, and I tend to agree. Quarterbacking was a much different position back then. QB's called their own plays, not nearly as much passing, etc.

As a coach, he was a disaster, and a prime example how great players don't necessarily make great coaches.

R.I.P.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2019 5:16 pm
  • A legend. May he RIP.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun May 26, 2019 5:32 pm

• RIP, Mr. Starr. You were truly one of the great ones—on and off the field.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun May 26, 2019 6:17 pm
  • R.I.P. Bart Star.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2019 9:18 pm
  • The first Super Bowl Icon, RIP , outside the game the man was a very Humble Champion.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Mon May 27, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon May 27, 2019 5:37 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:Although I wasn't a Packers fan, Starr was one of my childhood idols. I saw someone say that a good comparison for those of you that never saw him play would be Troy Aikman, and I tend to agree. Quarterbacking was a much different position back then. QB's called their own plays, not nearly as much passing, etc.

As a coach, he was a disaster, and a prime example how great players don't necessarily make great coaches.

R.I.P.

Well said all the way around. The comparison with Aikman is spot on imo. One of my childhood athletic heroes as well (along with Sandy Koufax).
    RIP Bart.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:55 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:The first Super Bowl Icon, RIP , outside the game the man was a very Humble Champion.

Starr was, indeed, a very humble man, and never tried to overshadow his teammates and would quite frequently go out of his way to minimize his contributions while highlighting those of his teammates.

But the guy had a set of balls. There was a story of how Lombardi once chewed Starr's ass out in front of the team. After the meeting was over and in private, Starr went to Lombardi and told him if he had an ass chewing coming to please do it in private as doing so in front of the team compromised his position as a team leader. Lombardi agreed and never again chewed out Starr in front of the team.

It's not every player that has the guts to confront a head coach as domineering and as volatile as Lombardi was and tell him he was wrong about something. It also says something about Lombardi as well.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information