Gerald McCoy?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Gerald McCoy?
Thu May 09, 2019 11:58 am

Re: Gerald McCoy?
Thu May 09, 2019 12:04 pm
  • He'd be intriguing as a rotational pass rusher / spot starter. I'd rather have Suh because he's a more versatile all-around player.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2008
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Thu May 09, 2019 12:14 pm
  • If the price was right, hell yes. He has a major chip right now, and his attitude is likely a lot better than Suh. And he'd come cheaper I would think. And of course we play the Bucs this year :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12760
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Thu May 09, 2019 12:24 pm
  • But he may not settle for a one year rental deal.
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Thu May 09, 2019 12:36 pm
  • Sorry guys, but McCoy is a Buccaneer, so this thread belongs in the NFL Forum
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 18928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Thu May 09, 2019 12:43 pm
  • If he is cut, this is a no brainer, bring him to Seattle.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Thu May 09, 2019 9:11 pm
  • Screw waiting for him to get cut....I’d trade for him now. Probably a 3rd and a late round pick would do the trick. Heck even throw in Quinton Jefferson or Naz Jones. McCoy would be almost Aaron Donald like in this defense. Plus the Seahawks would finally have a bonafide pass rusher in the middle. Not only one but two of them, Reed and McCoy.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7500
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Thu May 09, 2019 9:24 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Screw waiting for him to get cut....I’d trade for him now. Probably a 3rd and a late round pick would do the trick. Heck even throw in Quinton Jefferson or Naz Jones. McCoy would be almost Aaron Donald like in this defense. Plus the Seahawks would finally have a bonafide pass rusher in the middle. Not only one but two of them, Reed and McCoy.


    with cut of Baldwin and Kam, we may be able to afford him.
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Fri May 10, 2019 9:16 am
  • I am all in on McCoy or a guy like Muhammad Wilkerson. I think either of those guys could anchor the 5T DE opposite the Leo this year and then slide inside with Reed on 3rd downs like we used Bennett a lot of times and take some of the pressure off the younger guys. Not that I don't want to play the young guys and see what we have, but lineman take a couple of years usually to realize there potential. If they think they are a SB contender this year I don't think you can rely on Collier or Green to be that guy this year, and Jefferson is a solid rotational guy but not a starter imo.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1535
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Fri May 10, 2019 12:06 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:I am all in on McCoy or a guy like Muhammad Wilkerson. I think either of those guys could anchor the 5T DE opposite the Leo this year and then slide inside with Reed on 3rd downs like we used Bennett a lot of times and take some of the pressure off the younger guys. Not that I don't want to play the young guys and see what we have, but lineman take a couple of years usually to realize there potential. If they think they are a SB contender this year I don't think you can rely on Collier or Green to be that guy this year, and Jefferson is a solid rotational guy but not a starter imo.


    If the trade of Clark got us McCoy, Ziggy, and Collier in return, it ain't bad.
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Mon May 13, 2019 11:03 am

Re: Gerald McCoy?
Mon May 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Re: Gerald McCoy?
Mon May 13, 2019 2:55 pm
  • He can do better than 905 sacks, that's pathetic.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:He can do better than 905 sacks, that's pathetic.

    I'd take 100+ sacks per season but only if he's a decent run stopper.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2008
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Mon May 20, 2019 4:42 pm
  • he just got cut today. nobody wanted to take on his salary so no trade takers. Might be a bargain.
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2413
    Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 pm


  • First reported Tampa Bay Times

    "TAMPA, Fla. -- After unsuccessful attempts to trade him, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have "mutually parted ways" with defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, the team said in a statement."

    Seattle is still looking to solidify. Thoughts?
    Gormanimal
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 16
    Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 2:51 pm


  • Make it happen.
    GLio14
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 200
    Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:44 pm


  • GLio14 wrote:Make it happen.

    (Calling John)
    Gormanimal
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 16
    Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 2:51 pm


  • Wow, opportunity!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Mon May 20, 2019 8:16 pm
  • We should so sign him. Him and Ziggy and Reed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


  • This one I really think we do get outbid on, but it'd be amazing if it happened.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16858
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 am


  • I always felt like we were gonna get Ansah, and always felt like we were gonna get McCoy if he got cut. I'm not right often though :irishdrinkers:
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1778
    Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • He would fit Carroll's defense perfectly. Seattle also has a ton of cap room.

    It makes too much sense, so that means it probably won't happen.
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2382
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 6110
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


  • KitsapGuy wrote:

    I mean, I get it. But the team does have $25 million in cap space. There is some flexibility here.
    GLio14
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 200
    Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:44 pm


  • We still have our first three draft picks to sign. Plus try to get a deal done with Wagner and Reed.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 6110
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


  • KitsapGuy wrote:We still have our first three draft picks to sign. Plus try to get a deal done with Wagner and Reed.


    With draft pick slotting, the draft pool $$$ is much less of an impact. They can still extend either one of Wagner or Reed, and tag the other next off-season -- when they will have a lot of cap space to work with.

    They also can make moves with Mingo or Brown to free up space, if necessary.

    McCoy is totally doable, cap wise - but I think another team outbids. It will take an over-sell of culture and success to snag him.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 9380
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:19 am
    Location: Blue Springs, Missouri


  • The cap space is there. Give him what he wants and bring him in. More defensive line depth is needed for a championship run, and McCoy is a true leader. Him and Woods together would really make for a high-character, high-effort positional group.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2814
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • KitsapGuy wrote:

    He won't get too much considering no team was even willing to give a conditional 7th for his contract worth $12M-$13M per season for the next three years with ZERO dead money.

    He'll get 1 year $10M tops.
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1382
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:58 am


  • From what I've read the last few weeks Bucs fans think he's done and obviously so do the Bucs. Someone else's trash is not always someone else's treasure.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2603
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:20 am


  • seabowl wrote:From what I've read the last few weeks Bucs fans think he's done and obviously so do the Bucs. Someone else's trash is not always someone else's treasure.



    Huh? What have you been reading? Link? Guy had 6+ sacks the last two years from the DT position. I will take that all day long. Missed 2 games last year and only 8 in 5.

    I am not sure what he is done at, but it isn't football.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 387
    Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:05 am


  • seabowl wrote:From what I've read the last few weeks Bucs fans think he's done and obviously so do the Bucs. Someone else's trash is not always someone else's treasure.



    Though his falling-out in Tampa Bay might suggest otherwise, McCoy hasn't been unproductive in recent years. The defensive tackle has amassed at least five sacks in each of the last seven seasons, the league's longest active streak among DTs. Since 2010, McCoy has 50.5 sacks, the third-most among all defensive tackles. His six Pro Bowl selections since 2012 are tied with Cincinnati's Geno Atkins for the most among defensive lineman.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ne-seasons
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 387
    Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:05 am


  • Regarding the extensions. I think they get Wagner done in the next few weeks and they will wait on Reed to see if his production from last year continues.

    Getting McCoy would really bolster that line, I would love to see it happen.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


  • Remember the what happened the last time we signed defensive line FAs from Detroit and Tampa ? :stirthepot: :0190l:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 4656
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:27 pm


  • Would LOVE to see McCoy w/the Hawks. I think he still not only has something left, but he has plenty to prove.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12760
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • I’m sure he’s got something to prove, but is he ready to platoon here?

    Somehow I doubt the team will pay what he wants and somehow if he isn’t ‘the guy’ I wonder if he will be prepared to compete for a job. All that said he’d sure be a nice addition.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 6197
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


  • He isn't going to be "the guy" here. He would simply be another cog in the wheel. A chance for a ring should influence wherever he signs unless his ego is so big it requires being "the guy".

    At his age, he had better think about that.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


  • This is an NFL Topic until he is actually linked to the Seahawks.
    HawkFan72
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 16500
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Tue May 21, 2019 1:15 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 6110
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Tue May 21, 2019 3:12 pm
  • I believe if McCoy signs with Seattle it will be a one year deal worth around 6-8 million or a 3 year deal worth around 24 million. He said he wants to sign with a playoff contender etc...it could happen only time will tell.
    hawks85
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 434
    Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:55 pm
    Location: Seattle, Washington


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Tue May 21, 2019 4:55 pm
  • Clayton thinks 1 year at 5 million might do it. I'll bet it's much higher though, 8 or 9 is probably what he'll get.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 18928
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Tue May 21, 2019 7:46 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Clayton thinks 1 year at 5 million might do it. I'll bet it's much higher though, 8 or 9 is probably what he'll get.
    i Wil stil do it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Gerald McCoy
Wed May 22, 2019 9:09 pm
  • With the Bucs dumping McCoy’s salary to pick up Suh, we have a great opportunity to pick up a great player with a Seahawks attitude. Please do it !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    godawg
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 501
    Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy
Wed May 22, 2019 11:40 pm
  • godawg wrote:With the Bucs dumping McCoy’s salary to pick up Suh, we have a great opportunity to pick up a great player with a Seahawks attitude. Please do it !

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Can we afford him, if he wants a multi year deal?
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy
Thu May 23, 2019 11:52 am
  • toffee wrote:
    godawg wrote:With the Bucs dumping McCoy’s salary to pick up Suh, we have a great opportunity to pick up a great player with a Seahawks attitude. Please do it !

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Can we afford him, if he wants a multi year deal?


    With already signing Wood, Ansah and still needing to extend Bobby and Reed.........I can't see where it makes sense to get into the McCoy sweepstakes, and IMO there will be a sweepstakes. Still healthy and relatively productive.

    Probably going to get a big one year guaranteed deal, or muti-year deal from someone.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15342
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Gerald McCoy
Thu May 23, 2019 2:05 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    godawg wrote:With the Bucs dumping McCoy’s salary to pick up Suh, we have a great opportunity to pick up a great player with a Seahawks attitude. Please do it !

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Can we afford him, if he wants a multi year deal?


    With already signing Wood, Ansah and still needing to extend Bobby and Reed.........I can't see where it makes sense to get into the McCoy sweepstakes, and IMO there will be a sweepstakes. Still healthy and relatively productive.

    Probably going to get a big one year guaranteed deal, or muti-year deal from someone.


    Wondering what's behind signing Suh instead of extending McCoy? Performance? Cost? Relationship?
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy
Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 am
  • toffee wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    godawg wrote:With the Bucs dumping McCoy’s salary to pick up Suh, we have a great opportunity to pick up a great player with a Seahawks attitude. Please do it !

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Can we afford him, if he wants a multi year deal?


    With already signing Wood, Ansah and still needing to extend Bobby and Reed.........I can't see where it makes sense to get into the McCoy sweepstakes, and IMO there will be a sweepstakes. Still healthy and relatively productive.

    Probably going to get a big one year guaranteed deal, or muti-year deal from someone.


    Wondering what's behind signing Suh instead of extending McCoy? Performance? Cost? Relationship?


    It's what it's always about, money.

    The Bucs just signed Bucannon, Barrett and Suh for what they would have had to pay McCoy with a monster extension.

    Nothing wrong with McCoy, he's still a good player. But like us with Clark, if you have depth issues it's hard to justify spending all your D-line cap space on one player. Cause it doesn't fix the problem.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15342
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Fri May 24, 2019 12:42 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    Can we afford him, if he wants a multi year deal?


    With already signing Wood, Ansah and still needing to extend Bobby and Reed.........I can't see where it makes sense to get into the McCoy sweepstakes, and IMO there will be a sweepstakes. Still healthy and relatively productive.

    Probably going to get a big one year guaranteed deal, or muti-year deal from someone.


    Wondering what's behind signing Suh instead of extending McCoy? Performance? Cost? Relationship?


    It's what it's always about, money.

    The Bucs just signed Bucannon, Barrett and Suh for what they would have had to pay McCoy with a monster extension.

    Nothing wrong with McCoy, he's still a good player. But like us with Clark, if you have depth issues it's hard to justify spending all your D-line cap space on one player. Cause it doesn't fix the problem.


    If McCoy won’t take a cut for Buc, guessing we couldn’t and wouldn’t be a destination for him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Sat May 25, 2019 12:12 pm
  • McCoy says he wants to sign with a contender. His first visit was to the Cleveland Browns a team that's made the playoffs twice in just under 29 years.

    This made my afternoon.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2008
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


Re: Gerald McCoy?
Sun May 26, 2019 2:56 pm
  • Why? They're probably contending.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1101
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:25 pm


Next


It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: tbor and 54 guests