Earl to Ravens

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Earl to Ravens
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:56 pm
  • HawkRiderFan wrote:Count me in the group that loved him as a Hawk and wishes he could have been here his entire career. I was in line for a new jersey around 2012/13 and if Russ hadn't come along it would have been ET.

It feels weird right now. I had reconciled that the Hawks would lose him a long time ago....any hope I had was dashed with the one finger salute. I actually felt happy when I heard this news cause it meant the Cowboys and Niners didn't land him. Anyone else feel that way?

Yep, never thought he’d be a cowboy, but thought he’d be a niner.
    Cowboys fanbase thought for sure he was going to *allas and cheaply.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 pm
  • I will miss Earl but I will sleep better knowing that his kids won’t have to go hungry anymore. His family can finally be fed, and we should be happy for that.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 am
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:01 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Great tribute to a great Seahawk and it was great of the organization to put that together. I'm glad Earl got what he wanted and I wish him the best, but sometimes you get what you deserve, so I think it would have been fitting to end the tribute with this...
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:50 am
  • Natethegreat wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong. That is not the highest paid safety right? In fact it seems like a deal I would pay to have him here.

The good news for us is you don't get to pay players that flip off "their team" and play traitor to other teams coaches in self seeking missions to land more Bentley's.

Yeah, I totally agree. After that you can't resign him.

Yeah that injury sure did hurt his chances to get a nice contract didn't it?? Oh wait I guess it didn't after all. Way to tarnish your legacy in the Emerald City.

Bye ET...
    SeaWolv
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:21 pm
  • Dragon beat me to it, but he's joining what was, arguably, already the best secondary in the league. He's got a real shot at another ring, plus the payday.

Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can salve a lot of pain.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:20 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong. That is not the highest paid safety right? In fact it seems like a deal I would pay to have him here.

He didn't WANT to be here. Thanks Earl...sincerely, thank you for your contributions to our beloved team. I wish him all the best. Time to move on however.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:56 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong. That is not the highest paid safety right? In fact it seems like a deal I would pay to have him here.

The good news for us is you don't get to pay players that flip off "their team" and play traitor to other teams coaches in self seeking missions to land more Bentley's.

I feel the same way.
    Vesuve
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 pm
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:32 pm

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:00 pm
  • Earl Thomas on flipping the Seahawks off..

“A lot of frustration that day. I was in a battle with the team, and I chose to play, and I was betting on myself. So when it happened, it just added to my frustration. I did what I did, and I saw Pete Carroll, and I just was like, ‘You won. You won.’ Just a very disappointing day.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/earl-thomas-flipped-off-seahawks-reason-ravens
    Seahawks4life
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:08 pm
  • Classless move. And he was one of my all time favorite Hawks.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:46 pm
  • rjdriver wrote:I will miss Earl but I will sleep better knowing that his kids won’t have to go hungry anymore. His family can finally be fed, and we should be happy for that.

I was going to send him a coupon for free chicken fingers.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:21 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    rjdriver wrote:I will miss Earl but I will sleep better knowing that his kids won’t have to go hungry anymore. His family can finally be fed, and we should be happy for that.

I was going to send him a coupon for free chicken fingers.

I'll take it!
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:18 am
  • kidhawk wrote:Sounds like he was about to sign a one year deal for $12 million before the Ravens made him the offer he took.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023105/article/ravens-earl-thomas-was-prepared-to-sign-1yr-deal

After seeing fellow safeties Landon Collins, Tyrann Mathieu and Adrian Amos land big deals while his market remained slow to materialize, Thomas told NBC's Peter King for his Football Morning In America column, that he'd rationalized signing a one-year, $12 million deal with incentives.

Thomas told the Ravens' official website last week he thought he was headed to Kansas City before Baltimore upped the ante.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:02 am
  • Seahawks4life wrote:Earl Thomas on flipping the Seahawks off..

“A lot of frustration that day. I was in a battle with the team, and I chose to play, and I was betting on myself. So when it happened, it just added to my frustration. I did what I did, and I saw Pete Carroll, and I just was like, ‘You won. You won.’ Just a very disappointing day.”

That article is nonsense. This isnt at youSeahawks4life, but whoever that goofball is who writes for USA Today.

While Le’Veon Bell opted to sit out the season during a contract dispute with the Steelers, a disgruntled Earl Thomas decided to still play out his final year with the Seahawks even when the sides couldn’t reach an agreement on a new deal.

Is this writer really comparing Bell being franchised twice, to a player playing out their contract that they signed? One where they were the highest paid free safety, when signed. How is that remotely comparable?

Thomas was forced to risk injury and gamble on himself with an expiring contract,

What? Forced? In a league where a lot of players never see the end of their contracts and are cut or waived, the Seahawks honored that entire deal. Every player is risking injury when they step on the field.

in that moment, the NFL world saw the raw frustration from the 29-year-old defensive back who lost millions in one unlucky play

Did he lose millions? I don't think so, ET is fine, signed a big contract, stop with the hyperbole.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:54 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Seahawks4life wrote:Earl Thomas on flipping the Seahawks off..

That article is nonsense. This isnt at youSeahawks4life, but whoever that goofball is who writes for USA Today.

While Le’Veon Bell opted to sit out the season during a contract dispute with the Steelers, a disgruntled Earl Thomas decided to still play out his final year with the Seahawks even when the sides couldn’t reach an agreement on a new deal.

Is this writer really comparing Bell being franchised twice, to a player playing out their contract that they signed? One where they were the highest paid free safety, when signed. How is that remotely comparable?

Thomas was forced to risk injury and gamble on himself with an expiring contract,

What? Forced? In a league where a lot of players never see the end of their contracts and are cut or waived, the Seahawks honored that entire deal. Every player is risking injury when they step on the field.

in that moment, the NFL world saw the raw frustration from the 29-year-old defensive back who lost millions in one unlucky play

Did he lose millions? I don't think so, ET is fine, signed a big contract, stop with the hyperbole.

It’s USA Today. You didn’t expect a well planned journalistic approach did you?
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:37 am
  • The "you won" comment makes absolutely no sense. What exactly did Pete win? He lost arguably the best free safety in the league for the rest of the season.

As for "being forced to play the final year of his contract" do they mean like every other player in the NFL who hit free-agency? Agreed Earl is in a category of star where a lot of times those guys get their deals redone early, but not always
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Sat May 11, 2019 10:00 am
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:He's right under 14 million a year, I don't think we could afford that. Great player when he's on the field but he's broken his leg 2 out of the last 3 years.

The Ravens let go one of the best LB's in the game to sign Earl so that's fine if people wanted to keep him but would you have given up Wagner?

My question is what if earl didn't break his leg last year and he kept playing like he was. Do we resign him?
    hawks85
    NET Starter

Sat May 11, 2019 4:03 pm
  • hawks85 wrote:
    WestcoastSteve wrote:He's right under 14 million a year, I don't think we could afford that. Great player when he's on the field but he's broken his leg 2 out of the last 3 years.

The Ravens let go one of the best LB's in the game to sign Earl so that's fine if people wanted to keep him but would you have given up Wagner?

My question is what if earl didn't break his leg last year and he kept playing like he was. Do we resign him?

Not sure we would have, we would have had Wilson, Clark, Thomas and pending Wagner to be dealing with.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 am
  • https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-rav ... e-sentence

Really intrigued to see how he does this year and if he'll be at an all pro level. With both him and Sherman I do wonder how much of it was the Seahawks system making them successful versus raw talent. Probably a combination of both. We've saw a lot of secondary talent go elsewhere and been middling/disappointing once not in the system. Browner was probably the most successful as he won a ring, but he was still not great at the Saints.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:29 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/49986/ravens-never-putting-earl-thomas-and-comfortable-in-same-sentence

Really intrigued to see how he does this year and if he'll be at an all pro level. With both him and Sherman I do wonder how much of it was the Seahawks system making them successful versus raw talent. Probably a combination of both. We've saw a lot of secondary talent go elsewhere and been middling/disappointing once not in the system. Browner was probably the most successful as he won a ring, but he was still not great at the Saints.

For my money Sherman and Kam were perfect matches of abilities and scheme (there are defenses they wouldn't have been as dominant in) whereas Thomas would excel in any scheme. The guys who cycled through the other secondary spots were always just JAGs to begin with, IMO (they got way over paid because they started on dominant units, which happens all the time in the NFL -- see also Malcolm Smith getting way overpaid by the Raiders and 9ers because he was lucky enough to play next to Wright and Wagner in Seattle).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:42 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/49986/ravens-never-putting-earl-thomas-and-comfortable-in-same-sentence

For my money Sherman and Kam were perfect matches of abilities and scheme (there are defenses they wouldn't have been as dominant in) whereas Thomas would excel in any scheme. The guys who cycled through the other secondary spots were always just JAGs to begin with, IMO (they got way over paid because they started on dominant units, which happens all the time in the NFL -- see also Malcolm Smith getting way overpaid by the Raiders and 9ers because he was lucky enough to play next to Wright and Wagner in Seattle).

I agree.

I think Thomas will end up on the shortlist of top safeties in NFL history. He was probably the best player (maybe Wagner) on the best defense in modern NFL history.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 am
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:Eric Berry just got cut

My favorite Eric Berry moment:
    Eric Berry Russell Wilson 20120824_mjm_sr9_118.jpg
    Eric Berry Russell Wilson 20120824_mjm_sr9_118.jpg (114.88 KiB) Viewed 265 times
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information