Minnesota QB evaluation

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Minnesota QB evaluation
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:21 pm
  • Placed their franchise on the arm of Sam Bradford, now on Kirk Cousins. Just seems they need to reconsider their QB evaluation.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Re: Minnesota QB evaluation
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 pm
  • I am a huge Teddy homer, but they should have never let him walk. Sure, he is stashed behind Brees at the saints, but he was still young and had potential. They spent too much on Kirk. That being said, their O-Line is horrid.
    Last edited by MrThortan on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:38 pm
  • Eh, Kirk Cousins is not why they are losing games. Coaching is. They were bad tonight. They were bad in New England. Going for it 4th down in a defensive game when you are down 3 not once but twice... cost them the game.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:37 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:Placed their franchise on the arm of Sam Bradford, now on Kirk Cousins. Just seems they need to reconsider their QB evaluation.

Kirk Cousins is not the problem for the Vikings, in fact he has been playing decently this season. He is 8th in yards, he's completing 70% of his passes, and he also has a decent amount of TDs, and his interception total is not the worst in the world, especially when we consider how much he passes.

Is Kirk Cousins an elite QB? Hell no, but I would place him in the same group as the "very good QBs". He kind of looked like a mini Russ the way he was extending plays (not as slippery or fast, but still bought time). His passes were accurate, and he put it right where his receivers could get the ball. They could not catch a cold against the Seahawks, and every pass was highly contested by our secondary.

Kirk Cousin's is in a completely different stratosphere than Sam Bradford is. I didn't see bad QB play against the Seahawks. I saw a team that couldn't do even the basic things right. Does he deserve to be paid like he is? Probably not, I think the position's salary is over inflated relative to their peers. That being said my impression that the biggest issue with the Vikings was coaching, and lack of execution from the skill positions. Cousin's is far down the list on problems with the Vikings team.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:34 am
  • They should go for Hebert. He should go middle of the first round.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:54 am
  • Cousins is good. But his cap hit the next to years is like $30 million.

Cousins doesn't get you what you get with Russell Wilson. And people are peeing their pants on Wilson costing $30 million against the cap when he re-signs. Case Keenum costs $21 million against the cap next year.

It sucks that Wilson isn't perfect and will cost a lot of money. But the alternative is to still pay quite a lot for stopgaps who probably won't work out. Or draft young guys who probably won't work out.

Imagine if the Vikings had Russell Wilson and that defense.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:56 am
  • knownone wrote:Eh, Kirk Cousins is not why they are losing games. Coaching is. They were bad tonight. They were bad in New England. Going for it 4th down in a defensive game when you are down 3 not once but twice... cost them the game.

Not just going for it, but the play calls- both times directly toward Wagner.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:22 pm
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:They should go for Hebert. He should go middle of the first round.

If he's smart he stays in school, nowhere near ready for the League. Sadly if he does enter, he'll probably go top ten purely off the dreaded 'potential'.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:50 pm
  • knownone wrote:Eh, Kirk Cousins is not why they are losing games. Coaching is. They were bad tonight. They were bad in New England. Going for it 4th down in a defensive game when you are down 3 not once but twice... cost them the game.

It cost them points; it did not cost them the GAME...
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:32 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    bigskydoc wrote:Placed their franchise on the arm of Sam Bradford, now on Kirk Cousins. Just seems they need to reconsider their QB evaluation.

Kirk Cousins is not the problem for the Vikings, in fact he has been playing decently this season. He is 8th in yards, he's completing 70% of his passes, and he also has a decent amount of TDs, and his interception total is not the worst in the world, especially when we consider how much he passes.

Is Kirk Cousins an elite QB? Hell no, but I would place him in the same group as the "very good QBs". He kind of looked like a mini Russ the way he was extending plays (not as slippery or fast, but still bought time). His passes were accurate, and he put it right where his receivers could get the ball. They could not catch a cold against the Seahawks, and every pass was highly contested by our secondary.

Kirk Cousin's is in a completely different stratosphere than Sam Bradford is. I didn't see bad QB play against the Seahawks. I saw a team that couldn't do even the basic things right. Does he deserve to be paid like he is? Probably not, I think the position's salary is over inflated relative to their peers. That being said my impression that the biggest issue with the Vikings was coaching, and lack of execution from the skill positions. Cousin's is far down the list on problems with the Vikings team.

Kirk Cousins has had a ridiculous number of passes batted down. He cant move in the pocket and has been strip sacked lot. He has 9 ints and 7 lost fumbles.

Cousins is average. The OL makes him look worse. The OC took the fall for not adjusting the game plan when teams realized Cousins is very good with time to sit back.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:13 pm
  • Just look at this record in prime time, big games, playoffs etc. It's shocking that a guy like that got 84 mil guaranteed. The Vikes fans that I talked to, to a man, all said it was a horrible signing. He's average, holds on to the ball too much etc. I think he's good, but far from great.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:15 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Just look at this record in prime time, big games, playoffs etc. It's shocking that a guy like that got 84 mil guaranteed. The Vikes fans that I talked to, to a man, all said it was a horrible signing. He's average, holds on to the ball too much etc. I think he's good, but far from great.

4-24 against teams with a winning record. 0-5 this year
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:16 pm
  • When I saw those stats come watching my recording, that was shocking.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:34 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Just look at this record in prime time, big games, playoffs etc. It's shocking that a guy like that got 84 mil guaranteed. The Vikes fans that I talked to, to a man, all said it was a horrible signing. He's average, holds on to the ball too much etc. I think he's good, but far from great.

A slightly more successful Matt Stafford.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:37 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Just look at this record in prime time, big games, playoffs etc. It's shocking that a guy like that got 84 mil guaranteed. The Vikes fans that I talked to, to a man, all said it was a horrible signing. He's average, holds on to the ball too much etc. I think he's good, but far from great.

So does that make Cousins SUPER elite?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:44 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

I know you're being sarcastic, but Stafford is the most overrated QB in the last quarter century.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:01 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

I know you're being sarcastic, but Stafford is the most overrated QB in the last quarter century.

Sam Bradford says, " Hold my beer!"
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:16 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Bradford was overpaid, but he is considered a journeyman backup. Stafford is given elite status without any justification.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:27 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:

Bradford was overpaid, but he is considered a journeyman backup. Stafford is given elite status without any justification.

He's like the anti-clutch Brett Favre. It's almost impressive.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:08 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:

Stafford's physical gifts are elite, and that is the reason. His actual quarterbacking ability is quite average, of course. Think Jeff George, kind of.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:42 pm
  • Sorry, but Eli Manning is the most overrated QB of the last quarter century
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:01 am
  • Big day for Cousins and the Vikings
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:34 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:Sorry, but Eli Manning is the most overrated QB of the last quarter century

And yet he has a ring.

Does the team make the QB, the QB make the team, or is it some combination of the two?

I'm not an Eli fan. He should of retired years ago but he did win a SB..
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:06 am
  • Yeah Eli isnt overrated because not many people think that highly of him. A QB with 2 Superbowl rings and not a lot of hype is not overrated.

Sam Bradford is overrated among NFL GMs. He's received multiple big contracts, the Vikings traded a 1st for him, the Eagles traded a 2nd and a 4th and Nick Foles for him. His career has been ridiculous, he's always been mediocre when he's not injured, which he always is, yet teams still think so highly of him.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:29 am
  • And yet, I regularly hear Eli mentioned as a HOF candidate by commentators. Is there any 2 ring QB (even 1 ring QB) less deserving of the HOF?
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 am
  • Since winning SB's is the goal, I would go with Stafford. On a pure pay/production, it would be Jimmy G. He could prove me wrong but he's getting a truck load of money based on potential.
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:09 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:And yet, I regularly hear Eli mentioned as a HOF candidate by commentators. Is there any 2 ring QB (even 1 ring QB) less deserving of the HOF?

He will likely go to to the hall based on 2 rings, but the fact that there is a debate on that is my point. If he were widely regarded as an elite QB he would be a 1st ballot shoe in.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:52 pm
  • I get that. I just see it that, the fact that someone of his meager talent is even in the conversation for HOF is an absolute joke, and a sign of how overrated he is.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:50 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information