Crazy Statistic

Bobblehead

Reaction score
You can probably credit the Packers and the Hawks as to how not to play the onside kick.. pretty text book.. and the after consequences of any player screwing up.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Bobblehead":ioxyxih5 said:
You can probably credit the Packers and the Hawks as to how not to play the onside kick.. pretty text book.. and the after consequences of any player screwing up.

Conversions are down across the board. How they defend it has nothing to do with it. It's because the NFL made run-ups on kickoffs illegal. You know. For safety. :roll:

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think they should push the defense back five yards to make it a bit more interesting. Given the rule change, I'm surprised 4 have been successful. I wonder how that compares to other seasons.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I've read that onside kick success rates were in the 20% +/- overall, but surprise (or unexpected) onside kicks were closer to 60% successful in the past. The new rules have been detrimental to the success of onside kicks and that's a shame. I've always enjoyed the excitement of onside kicks, but this really deflates that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Your best bet now is to kick a rocket at the front line and hope it bounces back to your team.

sdog1981

Reaction score
HawkGA":wlibgkhb said:
I think they should push the defense back five yards to make it a bit more interesting. Given the rule change, I'm surprised 4 have been successful. I wonder how that compares to other seasons.

This 100% this. The new rules make it next to impossible to recover an onside kick. They need to have a rules provision for onside kicks that are the same as the old rules.

The new rules were my biggest beef with Pete and the pop kick against the Rams. With the new rules, the sudden kick will fail 99.999999999% of the time.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I would guess that a drop kick straight up the middle where defenders aren't and super high but very very short will happen soon and probably be a more higher percentage winning situation , just gotta go ten yards ya know
I wonder if there's any kicker or even punter out there that could do that , Hmmmm :2thumbs: :sarcasm_off: