Le’Veon Bell has now forfeited $6.84M from his 8 weeks away

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hahahahahaaha What an idiot! How do people come up with these idiotic ideas of overvaluing themselves and believing that he can beat the (NFL) system? Does he even have an agent? Is the agent just as stupid? I wouldn't sign with Bell's agent for anything.

Le’Veon Bell has now forfeited $6.84M from his 8 weeks away from the 1st place Steelers.

Not including signing bonuses, no active RB will earn that much in 2018.

L. McCoy: $6.3M
L. Miller: $5.75M
L. Murray: $4.6M

James Conner is giving them twice the production at half the cost.

Conner's base salary this year is $578,000 for the entire season, which is slightly less than the $855,000 per WEEK that Bell will make once he signs his franchise tag.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... -thriller/

HawkGA

Reaction score
What exactly is he trying to accomplish? I assume just doing the Joey Galloway thing and play as little as possible this season? And then next year assume he won't be tagged again and can hit the open market?

I guess there's the injury risk he's protecting himself from but that's an awful lot if money to give up to protect yourself. Just take out an insurance policy.

getnasty

Reaction score
He's doing everything he can to insure he stays healthy before he hits the open market. The problem is Conner has been even better the Bell has the last couple of years. It would be funny if he actually got less money because people will now think it's just a system and not so much the running back. It will be interesting to see what the Steelers do when he gets back.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Steelers should pull the franchise tag offer and let him whither away to prove that no player will dictate an NFL team.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm not sure on any stats for this, but it just seems like coming back for the last few weeks could increase his injury risk. I dunno.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkGA":2eb509dw said:
I'm not sure on any stats for this, but it just seems like coming back for the last few weeks could increase his injury risk. I dunno.

Seems like we have seen this rodeo before ourselves. Come back and lo and behold...they get injured the second game. I am not sure about the article as I did not read it, but was told online or somewhere that he signs his tender and gets it all in one chunk???? I dunno tho. Sorry, just thought I heard it somewhere on one of the sites.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Bell lost all leverage after Conners' first game. He/his agent are idiots.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Not expected to report in time to toll a season. Don't get it. Does his tag number still go up if he never signs this one?

James in PA

Reaction score
Bell: idiot or genius? The way I understand it, he & his agent discovered a loophole in the CBA. If he sits out this entire season, the Steelers have the right to tag him again next year, but this time the tag would have him making top QUARTERBACK MONEY. Obviously, Pitt is not going to do that & he will essentially become an UFA. Yes, Bell lost out on a lot of $ this year, but he protected himself and I’m sure there will be teams with a lot of cap room throwing insane figures his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He has already turned down more money than anyone will ever offer him again so I wouldn’t call him a genius. He is on record several times demanding 15 million per year 5 years and he turned down a deal that would have paid 43 over three years and 20 the final two years of a five year extension. My question is what is the cost to the Steelers for a guy who refuses to show up? What are the Steelers obligations and impact on their cap?

sdog1981

Reaction score
Teams are going to low ball him on the next round of free agency. They will say he has no desire to play football and will quit on his team. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins beat the system like a red headed step child by signing the Franchise tags.

sdog1981

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":9bd8nq3o said:
Kirk Cousins beat the system like a red headed step child by signing the Franchise tags.

He played every season at a position that is overvalued. He knew the market Bell not so much.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Cousins also played a position that doesn't get hurt very often and doesn't have the wear and tear issue Bell does. I'm more curious about Bell's strategy than I am judgmental. I'll be interested to see how it works out. I haven't been keeping up with all the numbers but I would suspect a running back risks more by sitting out a year and not earning money than they do by playing under the franchise tag. The injury risk is there, but the lifetime earning potential at that position is pretty short as it is. I don't see how effectively shortening it more helps him.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
James in PA":20ygnq2p said:
Bell: idiot or genius? The way I understand it, he & his agent discovered a loophole in the CBA. If he sits out this entire season, the Steelers have the right to tag him again next year, but this time the tag would have him making top QUARTERBACK MONEY. Obviously, Pitt is not going to do that & he will essentially become an UFA. Yes, Bell lost out on a lot of $ this year, but he protected himself and I’m sure there will be teams with a lot of cap room throwing insane figures his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is true then it's the only part of the whole fiasco I find interesting at this point.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Well, apparently he did not report. I just don't see how he wins.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WmHBonney":85dwzhf5 said:
Well, apparently he did not report. I just don't see how he wins.

Doesn't make sense to me either. This is 8+M he'll never get back.

I guess we'll see in the off season as to whether Bell was right, and someone breaks the bank for him and he gets more than the this 8M franchise tag would have paid him this year.

I do think there will be a lot of teams interested, but what Connors and other RB's have shown is that you don't need to overpay for a RB, especially a pain in the ass RB like Bell who doesn't care about pissing off his coaches and teammates........and likes to get suspended.

mikeak

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":b4av0b87 said:
Steelers should pull the franchise tag offer and let him whither away to prove that no player will dictate an NFL team.

Doesn't work that way. If they pull the franchise tag he would have become a FA and won

mikeak

Reaction score
OK he is dumb because he will never make up that money. He supposedly sat out mainly to get more guaranteed, but in doing so he gave up almost $15 million guaranteed money.

So did he avoid the injury risk - sure. However, he will never get this earning back

I wonder the same thing I wondered when Earl got re-injured. Does he have a nagging injury that he think will become an issue and that is why he needs the long term contract so bad that he is willing to sit out? I still believe Earl knew he had never healed properly and that is why he got so pissed when he got re-injured because he "should have known".

Separately - other teams won't worry about his willingness to play, but they will worry that he sat for a year and they will also start wondering if he was a "system RB". When some unknown guy steps in and performs as good then was it the RB or the system? Like the old Denver RBs that never did anything elsewhere (not worth their money)