Any great defenses left?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Bears and Jags were supposed to be great and they got waxed today. Vikes have been very inconsistent.

Is Dallas actually the best defense? :mrgreen:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
As it turns out, having a consistently great defense is actually pretty hard in the modern NFL. Lot of pretenders to the throne we left behind, in that regard...

getnasty

Reaction score
Jacksonville is the only one that I would consider elite. If they just had a guy playing QB that could take care of the ball and manage the game they'd have a good chance at a SB.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Ravens' D is still pretty high level. 11 sacks today, and haven't given up a second half TD yet this season.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2x2g77f5 said:
Ravens' D is still pretty high level. 11 sacks today, and haven't given up a second half TD yet this season.

Ah, that's a good one. What's weird about them is that they don't have very many stars, they just seem to work together pretty well. Then again, they started out even better last year, especially in terms of turnovers, and got destroyed by good offenses later. We shall see.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
adeltaY":yqkhu1gq said:
Bears and Jags were supposed to be great and they got waxed today. Vikes have been very inconsistent.

no, they’ve played some pretty soft offenses and...
we made them look like crap! Good front 4, their LB’s are young and exploitible, their secondary blows...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
getnasty":1gtdkrki said:
Jacksonville is the only one that I would consider elite. If they just had a guy playing QB that could take care of the ball and manage the game they'd have a good chance at a SB.
They gave up 40 today against a crappy Jerruh’s kids offense.
They looked fat and slow today!

nutluck

Reaction score
With all the rules favoring offense, it is hard for defenses to play at a high level and not get flagged all the time. That is the direction the NFL wants to go, big offenses that score lots of points.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":20u5uv3a said:
adeltaY":20u5uv3a said:

we made them look like crap! Good front 4, their LB’s are young and exploitible, their secondary blows...

Eh we only put up 24 on them, that's not terrible.

They've given up 16, 13, 24, 24, 19 (OT), and 7 points. Wow, just laying that out there they are damn good. Haven't given up more than 24 period.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
adeltaY":fi718rb5 said:
Sports Hernia":fi718rb5 said:
adeltaY":fi718rb5 said:

They've given up 16, 13, 24, 24, 19 (OT), and 7 points. Wow, just laying that out there they are damn good. Haven't given up more than 24 period.
Just wait until they play a good offense. Seattle might have been the best offense they played so far, and I wouldn’t call us a great offense just yet. But if you want to believe *allas have a great defense and nothing will convince you otherwise, then I guess that’s your prerogative.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3l2h3y63 said:
adeltaY":3l2h3y63 said:
Sports Hernia":3l2h3y63 said:
adeltaY":3l2h3y63 said:

Just wait until they play a good offense. Seattle might have been the best offense they played so far, and I wouldn’t call us a great offense just yet. But if you want to believe *allas have a great defense and nothing will convince you otherwise, then I guess that’s your prerogative.
I seem to remember AdeltaY wanting to scrap defense for a star filled offense and try to win
by high scores..I say that time is not here yet but I get he wants the KC/NE type of games and the
NFL seems to try like hell to set it up with all the pansy rules they cannot enforce right half of the
time. Sherman is right about a lot of what he says in this regard.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Jags are probably the most talented on paper but teams have learned how to beat their zone coverages. Not sure why they aren't going more man this year, that's when they're at their best with 2 great coverage CB's. Biggest weakness are the safeties and they're getting picked on. Teams started to figure out the Hawks zone coverages and Pete adjusted, lets see if they can do the same.

Ravens are playing really solid defense, that division will be very interesting to watch unfold. Seahawks as well, holding multiple QBs to under 200 yards in insane.

Vikings are for sure the biggest surprise. I've watched parts of their games and it seems like it's all from missed assignments or miscommunication. They play fine for most downs and then get burned for a huge gain or TD, not sure who is most to blame for those lapses.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2xibpain said:
Sports Hernia":2xibpain said:
adeltaY":2xibpain said:
Sports Hernia":2xibpain said:

I seem to remember AdeltaY wanting to scrap defense for a star filled offense and try to win
by high scores..I say that time is not here yet but I get he wants the KC/NE type of games and the
NFL seems to try like hell to set it up with all the pansy rules they cannot enforce right half of the

When did I say that? I did say that our offense has to carry the team because the defense has lost so many players and most of them are young and learning. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. I never agreed with "scrapping" the defense, but the team traded Bennett, did't resign Sheldon, and released Sherm - the FO scrapped it. Also when you're about to pay 30-35M to your QB, it makes sense that your offense carries your team.

I said that I enjoy watching some high scoring games, what's it to you? And actually I thought the KC/NE game was too much. Some defensive plays are necessary. I like it when some games are high scoring and others are low scoring, with most in the middle like a normal distribution. If every game is high scoring it isn't as fun.

You can condescend to me and say "go watch arena football". Whatever dude, your conception of what football "should" be isn't the only valid one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigskydoc":23elk9r7 said:

Paper lions for the most part. The Hawk's D is ranked higher than the Rams.

I thought the Jags D would be nasty all year, but they're imploding in front of our very eyes. Probably because they know if they allow even one TD there's no way Blake Bortles can lead a comeback.

toffee

Reaction score
Let me be the one to humbly announce: the next great defense will be the 2019-2020 Seahawks.

Why?

LOB v2 will have one to two seasons under their belt, we are one great pass rusher away from having a very good DL, we do have great LB. of course we need depth .

In fact we may have a preview of that this season if Wright, dion and green came back strong. We will still lack depth so just a preview.

Of course Pete is still a must fire :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":r16zjgzi said:
IndyHawk":r16zjgzi said:
Sports Hernia":r16zjgzi said:
adeltaY":r16zjgzi said:

When did I say that? I did say that our offense has to carry the team because the defense has lost so many players and most of them are young and learning. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. I never agreed with "scrapping" the defense, but the team traded Bennett, did't resign Sheldon, and released Sherm - the FO scrapped it. Also when you're about to pay 30-35M to your QB, it makes sense that your offense carries your team.

I said that I enjoy watching some high scoring games, what's it to you? And actually I thought the KC/NE game was too much. Some defensive plays are necessary. I like it when some games are high scoring and others are low scoring, with most in the middle like a normal distribution. If every game is high scoring it isn't as fun.

You can condescend to me and say "go watch arena football". Whatever dude, your conception of what football "should" be isn't the only valid one.
That arena part makes me think of the thread that I thought you wanted a stacked offense..
Maybe I got it wrong and I didn't mean my way is the only one..I just do not like where the NFL is
headed.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
I agree man, I only want the stacked O for us to be able to compete with top teams, but I do not think we should neglect defense, only it will take us some time to build it back up.