NFL has plans to alter but not eliminate kickoffs

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheSeahawksWire/status/991422411449995265[/tweet]

Vincent pointed out the NFL is not only not getting rid of the kickoff, but they are trying to be careful not to tinker with it too much as well. The NFL has already eliminated wedge blocking from kickoff returns, but Vincent indicated the two-on-one blocks could be eliminated, which would allow only one-on-one blocking during a return.

The NFL is beginning two days of meetings on Tuesday. The meetings consist of coaches, medical officials, former players and members of the officiating office. The meetings will revolve around player safety rules, with helmet-to-helmet contact already being discussed back in March.

The league has seen an increase in touchbacks, which is good for player safety. However, they still saw a lot of big hits on touchbacks, which led to the concern of eliminating the kickoff altogether.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The rules as written sound like they will allow a lot more kickoffs to be returned for TD’s

original poster

Reaction score
sdog1981":ry85ggbk said:
The rules as written sound like they will allow a lot more kickoffs to be returned for TD’s

And just after we drafted one of the best returners in NCAA history :)

chris98251

Reaction score
From my understanding they are going to look a lot like a Punt, but the difference is the Kick return guy is now going to be able to get a head start on the coverage, before you wanted to kick it to a side of the field or a touchback, now with everyone kind of bunched you want it dead center so the coverage can spread as the go down field and not give a returner an edge to run. I would have a bunch of guys loop to a side and just wall off a side of the field so the returner can be going full speed when he gets to coverage, if the wall broke down he would also have a huge cutback lane.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
sdog1981":22xh2a1l said:

Which would make Rashaad Penny an even bigger star than he already is. He is absolutely awesome at that.

But...... I think the NFL messes with the rules way, way, way too much. Especially the last 15 years or so. It's not even the same game I grew up watching at all. Just leave it alone. Stop messing with the game so much. The game was great the way it was. They continually try to make less and less and less physical. How long before this is flag football.? They are ruining the game.

sdog1981

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2xr1u3wd said:
They continually try to make less and less and less physical. How long before this is flag football.? They are ruining the game.

I used to laugh at the idea of flag football being the end point for American rules football. But every day that I think the NFL is getting closer and closer to that point. High Schools and Colleges now play basketball on grass with spread offenses. Now all they need to do is just take off the helmets and pads for "safety" and boom American rules football is flag football at every level.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
sdog1981":12tak90t said:
SanDiego49er":12tak90t said:
They continually try to make less and less and less physical. How long before this is flag football.? They are ruining the game.

I used to laugh at the idea of flag football being the end point for American rules football. But every day that I think the NFL is getting closer and closer to that point. High Schools and Colleges now play basketball on grass with spread offenses. Now all they need to do is just take off the helmets and pads for "safety" and boom American rules football is flag football at every level.

It's not too far away. In 10 - 15 years you won't even recognize football. I don't even now. It's a joke what they are turning the NFL into. Just have the guys sign a waiver. In exchange for millions of dollars they sign a waiver that it is their choice to play. You will never make this game safe. You have guys like 6'8" 345 lbs. running full speed into each other. How in the world will you make that safe? Plus guys running a 4.4 going full speed slamming into each other. That will NEVER be safe. It's a dangerous game. But that's football. It's almost hard to watch for me even now.

naholmes

Reaction score
The rule changes will reduce collisions between blockers and coverage. Instead the blockers will be more often running alongside the coverage, similar to a punt. The worry is that the blockers won’t be able to sustain blocks resulting in more hits on the returner. We will have to see how it plays out.

Erebus

Reaction score
This looks like the end of onside kicks. With the 15 yard non-contact zone from the spot of the kick, does the kicking team still only have to kick it 10 yards before they can recover it? If they have to kick it 15 yards, that's going to make it much harder to recover a kick.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1jdzlrkm said:
sdog1981":1jdzlrkm said:
SanDiego49er":1jdzlrkm said:

It's not too far away. In 10 - 15 years you won't even recognize football. I don't even now. It's a joke what they are turning the NFL into. Just have the guys sign a waiver. In exchange for millions of dollars they sign a waiver that it is their choice to play. You will never make this game safe. You have guys like 6'8" 345 lbs. running full speed into each other. How in the world will you make that safe? Plus guys running a 4.4 going full speed slamming into each other. That will NEVER be safe. It's a dangerous game. But that's football. It's almost hard to watch for me even now.
Yet Rugby all over the world manages it...

I cant understand this underlying need for life changing injuries to prove that the nfl is still worth watching.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3001qnl5 said:
SanDiego49er":3001qnl5 said:
sdog1981":3001qnl5 said:
SanDiego49er":3001qnl5 said:

Yet Rugby all over the world manages it...

I cant understand this underlying need for life changing injuries to prove that the nfl is still worth watching.

Being a rugby fan and player myself, you almost cannot compare the two. Now, regarding safety? Add some rugby tackling rules, and we might be onto something... well at least regarding head injuries. BUT a good portion of the guys I've shared a pitch with have terrible knee and shoulder injuries. I've been fortunate enough to escape with a few scars, broken teeth and nose.