Now that we know their teams, which QB

HawkGA

Reaction score
will have the better career?

I think Rosen is the easy pick as the Cardinals are probably the best of the teams that got QBs, but I'm going to say Darnold. Big media town, team should be turning it around eventually.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Possible, but I suspect Mayfield will be a bigger bust and Allen could well be a bust too. So almost by default, and being on the better team, Rosen could well be the second best. Jackson, of course, is a wild card.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
If Baker Mayfield is the QB that brings the Browns up from the depths, he'd deserve to go into the HOF.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mayfield is a slightly more talented version, physically and mentally as Manziel.............so IMO the absolutely worst place he could have gone is Cleveland, where he's going to get frustrated getting his head kicked in for the next 3-4 years.

So I'll also go with Darnold. He'd do well to sit for a year and learn the league and Jets system with McCown. Long term success and overall career I think it's Darnold. But short term success I'll go with Rosen, cause he'll be starting by week 3 when ol' scarecrow floppy sleeves gets broke in two for the 247th time in his career.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Surprised the Browns didn't go with Darnold and Chubb with their picks. But.......it is the Browns so......

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think Mayfield has the same “it” factor as Russell Wilson. Whether that’s enough to finally win in Cleveland, we’ll see.

Rosen will put up big numbers, but I don’t think he’s a winner. Think Matthew Stafford.

Josh Allen I think was going to fail no matter where he went. He was the worst qb the ducks played last season. Sure he’s a nice physical specimen. But he’s not a good qb.

I like Darnold a lot, but I think New York is a tough place for him. He’s a pretty laid back California dude... New York media will eat him alive if things don’t go well.

I think Rosen will have the best career stats. Either Mayfield or Darnold will be the best qbs depending on if they can overcome their locations.

Fade

Reaction score
All of them will either bust, or underwhelm. This is the most overrated QB class in NFL history.

Baker Mayfield - I could see early success, and then flaming out quickly, or he just struggles from the jump. He is a shell of Russell Wilson athletically. (Who he is often compared to.) He is going to have to play more like Brees than Russ if he wants to get the job done. I don't see it.

Sam Darnold - I like him the best of these early rd QBs, but yet I don't think he will have anything more than an Alex Smith type career at best. Be good sure, but never taken seriously as one of the top QBs in the game. I really feel like he needed another year of development at USC.

Josh Allen - J'Marcus Russell. No he won't be that bad, but Josh Allen is the litmus test for talent evaluaters. To the amateur eye you see this big strong athletic QB with one the livest arms you have ever seen. The problem though is none of that matters if you are not accurate, and make terrible decisions. He will lead the league in interceptions several times if given the chance.

Josh Rosen - Personality aside, his problem is going to be durability. He takes so many unnecessary hits that there is no way he is going to hold up in the pro game. Luck had this same problem, and he was a much bigger & stronger man. Rosen isn't going to hold up, book it. He has the best throwing mechanics in this class, and if he can magically keep his personality in check, and stay healthy for a little bit. He can have a stretch of nice play that will inevitably end with injury.

Lamar Jackson - He could've been RGIII his rookie year, but the league has figured out how to stop those gimmicky offenses. Lamar is going to have to do it the old fashioned traditional NFL way, with some spread elements sprinkled in.
He will flash and make some plays, he is too dynamic not to. Inconsistency throwing the ball will be his downfall. A high injury risk as well due to a running style that doesn't do a good enough job of avoiding contact.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lets wait till we see how they are used before we drive a stake thru their heart, odds on the assessment is correct, but then again Wilson would have failed in Cleveland, the Rams, San Francisco without Harbaugh. I think in Philly as well with Kelly. But in Philly with Doug Pederson he would have succeeded, in the current Minnesota situation John DeFilippo. I think Gruden would use him right but not Del Rio with Bill Musgrave.

I think the same goes for all these players as well, depends on if the system is forced or if it is using their strengths.

Jackson and the Browns have issues, seems that they have zero patients for a learning curve and break a QB's confidence almost out of the gate. A QB without confidence is not going to give you a good performance, can i throw this or well I get screamed at or benched, while he is thinking that he takes a sack.

Hasselbeck had that issue for a while till he and Holmgren had it out so to speak, once the air was cleared things got better, Hass unddrstood where Mike was coming from, Mike understood why Hass did some things, they worked together much better after that, yeah Holmgren was still Holmgren but Hass felt more comfortable confronting him as to why.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Mason Rudolph

He is in a far better situation in Pittsburgh than any of the "top" QBs are with their teams. :stirthepot:

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":22iblsqj said:
Lets wait till we see how they are used before we drive a stake thru their heart, odds on the assessment is correct, but then again Wilson would have failed in Cleveland, the Rams, San Francisco without Harbaugh. I think in Philly as well with Kelly. But in Philly with Doug Pederson he would have succeeded, in the current Minnesota situation John DeFilippo. I think Gruden would use him right but not Del Rio with Bill Musgrave.

I think the same goes for all these players as well, depends on if the system is forced or if it is using their strengths.

Jackson and the Browns have issues, seems that they have zero patients for a learning curve and break a QB's confidence almost out of the gate. A QB without confidence is not going to give you a good performance, can i throw this or well I get screamed at or benched, while he is thinking that he takes a sack.

Hasselbeck had that issue for a while till he and Holmgren had it out so to speak, once the air was cleared things got better, Hass unddrstood where Mike was coming from, Mike understood why Hass did some things, they worked together much better after that, yeah Holmgren was still Holmgren but Hass felt more comfortable confronting him as to why.

Great post. Situation is almost everything. Russ was fortunate to come into a situation with a great running game (of which he was a huge part) and great defense to help lessen the pressure. Luck was the opposite and we've seen what happened there. Wentz also benefited from Pederson and Prescott did from that OL/Zeke.

Shoot, I think if Hue Jackson wants to save his job, he'll let Todd Haley actually control the offense. Haley was instrumental in transforming Ben from a gunslinger/scrambler type who took a lot of hits looking for deep bombs in Arians' offense to a timing/rhythm QB. I don't think the Steelers should've got rid of him, but looks like he and Ben haven't see eye to eye in a while.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I'm pretty low on the QBs that came out of school this year, especially Josh Allen. He's going to be an even bigger project that Lamar Jackson, IMO.

I think Rosen ends up having the best career out of all of them, followed by Jackson, because the other QBs went to franchises that are far more likely to screw the pooch. That and I think Josh Allen is a horrid QB.

Rosen is going to go to a team that has some nice pieces offensively, namely Fitz and David Johnson, and has shown to be relatively patient when it comes to the QB position. They don't throw QB after QB into the fire out of desperation like the Browns, they're actually alright with sticking with someone like Drew Stanton or Sam Bradford and have the kid develop without the pressure of producing in year 1. With Rosen's mechanics and ability, I think he puts on a little weight and matures enough to become an average starter in the league.

Likewise for Jackson, he's going to get the opportunity to sit behind Flacco and work on his mechanics, understanding the pro game and his pocket passing. He won't be pressed to produce from the get-go, but even if he was, he would probably be one of if not the most exciting rookie prospects to watch. Don't forget he was a Heisman winner and has played in a good conference.

I see the Browns doing the regular Browns thing. They'll start Tyrod Taylor for a few games, which they'll lose, but Taylor plays alright, and then the fan base will start pining for Mayfield because "OMG 1ST OVERALL PICK." So senseless-Hue will throw Mayfield into the fire, and he'll look alright for a couple games, before posting an awful 1/4 TD/INT game where they lose badly, and the dude will never recover his confidence, at least for the rest of the season. He'll get another shot the following year, with a new coaching regime, but the Browns curse continues after that and he makes a career out of being a journeyman back-up elsewhere in the league.

Darnold is more up in the air. I think going to a New York team won't be so bad for the kid out of USC, but I would have much rather preferred to go to the G-men than the Jets. At least NYG has had SOME FORM of success this century. Darnold will have the opportunity to win the starting position from McCown, but I expect McCown to hold it down for the majority of the season -- barring a big dropoff from his relatively average 2017 performance. I do see McCown helping Darnold grow and mature early on, as McCown is a consummate pro and has learned that being even a journeyman in the NFL takes a ton of hard work and perseverance.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
They all suck. If i had to choose id maybe go mayfield as he has something about him. Hes not first pick material and the Browns will end his career prematurely no doubt.