Am I the only one that isn't enamored with Gruden?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I mean I dont get it, he has been linked to every opening college or pro for years, and he's now coming back to Oakland.

I just don't get it, sure he won a superbowl in tampa, but that team was built and dominated by the defense in which Gruden had nothing to do with. The years after the superbowl he never found the franchise QB, his record was middling, and he never got back there with that defense.

I just don't get it.....

Marvin49

Reaction score
gowazzu02":b0a7447a said:
I mean I dont get it, he has been linked to every opening college or pro for years, and he's now coming back to Oakland.

I just don't get it, sure he won a superbowl in tampa, but that team was built and dominated by the defense in which Gruden had nothing to do with. The years after the superbowl he never found the franchise QB, his record was middling, and he never got back there with that defense.

I just don't get it.....

I'm actually with you on this one.

I don't get it.

The guy was barely over .500 as a HC. I don't think he's a BAD coach and I'd have loved to have had him in the Tomsula/Kelly years but I don't get the 10 mil per and ownership stake.

I think there is something with Oakland specifically tho as seeing him as the one that got away.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Gruden is the kind of coach that I'd be ok with having, but not over the moon. With that said, the Raiders did what the Raiders always seem to do, and that is to set their eyes on something they want and overpay to get it. That hasn't always worked out that well for them in the past. At least this time, it doesn't hurt their salary cap.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I love Gruden the color commentator, but as a HC I thought he was slightly above average.

IMO he's like Jim Harbaugh, someone that can come in and lay down the law and have great short term success.............but after a couple of years that hard ass prickly contentious approach will wear thin on everyone.

So for Davis and the Raiders to give him a 10 year contract? Insane.

KillerB

Reaction score
He's a .500 coach or little better. I like the guy, he's entertaining, but just sort of decent as a head coach I think.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2delq2l8 said:
IMO he's like Jim Harbaugh, someone that can come in and lay down the law and have great short term success.............but after a couple of years that hard ass prickly contentious approach will wear thin on everyone.

I think he knows more about football (i.e. is actually involved in scripting, scheming, and play-calling) and isn't a balls-to-the-wall crazy person like Harbaugh, but yeah, he's definitely kinda Harbaugh-lite, and definitely not the type of guy I'd give a 10 year deal too (if anyone could even be the type of guy who deserves a 10 year deal at all).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":83x1ixmx said:
Sgt. Largent":83x1ixmx said:

I think he knows more about football (i.e. is actually involved in scripting, scheming, and play-calling) and isn't a balls-to-the-wall crazy person like Harbaugh, but yeah, he's definitely kinda Harbaugh-lite, and definitely not the type of guy I'd give a 10 year deal too (if anyone could even be the type of guy who deserves a 10 year deal at all).

Right, I meant same burns too hot to last long anywhere like Harbaugh.

Gruden does have a VERY good situation to go into. Top 10 QB, good line, nice pieces on both offense and defense.

As a fan without a rooting interest and as much as I love him in the booth...............this is good for the NFL. Gruden is nothing if not entertaining and interesting.

chris98251

Reaction score
Gruden doesn't like Carr as a QB, already a rift there, liked David better, Gruden won with Dungy's defense and knowing all the calls from Oakland, dummies never changed them. For all his knowledge at of QB's he could not draft one to save his life, those he had he had playing scared because his hook was faster then a guy fishing with a Fly Rod.

What he does bring is Entertainment and a name, something in moving to Vegas will sell seats right away no matter what venue they play in till their stadium is built, throw in Lynch and it should be rather dynamic and explosive, Gruden isn't Pete he is fiery and will confront.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I don't get it either. I am happy that we never went after this guy.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
There is a reason they hired him just before going to Vegas. This is a business move not necessarily a winning move. Gruden is extremely well known and brings a lot of hype to the team whether earned or not.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Lol @ 10 years 100m. He is going to be sitting at home doing nothing collecting over half of that.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":xkl1v5zq said:
Lol @ 10 years 100m. He is going to be sitting at home doing nothing collecting over half of that.

Agreed. He'll be done with the Raiders in four years.

chris98251

Reaction score
Give him a bit more, they have to get a foot hold in Vegas and then we will see what happens in Their own stadium a few years. He will get a pass for the whole relocation aspect. 5 to 6 I think, unless they begin to lose badly.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Also not seeing all the hype on this. Raiders ended up on right side of lots of close games a season ago. Hard to expect same outcomes on all those but even more Carr looked horrible, Amari drops every other, and the Mack/Irvin duo was schemed against with have a piss poor secondary. Only thing I like is not having to listen to him on MNF anymore, although will miss the Spider 2 Y Banana drinking game with him saying 100 times a game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Im glad i wasnt alone in thinking that. But u guys are spot on about vegas. He will sell tickets.

Rat

Reaction score
For an alleged QB guru, Gruden sure cycled through a lot of mediocre ones in Tampa. At one point, they had four on the active roster and they were all terrible.

mrt144

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2hqcosmz said:

I just don't get it.....

Im with you. It seems like a familiar face that makes occasional good points as a broadcaster goes a long way towards thinking he is the answer, nervermind he was average as a coach and hasnt coached in a while.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
I think this was a big mistake by both Gruden and Oakland. Gruden had it going as a commentator. He could continue on forever with a great salary and great security. If he cannot revive the Raiders then what? Job security is not looking so good. I think paying that kind of money over that many years is a risk that could really come back to bite the Raiders. This guy has not coached for years. His overall record is not that impressive. That being said I think he is a great color commentator.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
My brother says Gruden is overrated.

I tend to agree with him but I did enjoy Gruden's commentary and his "Gruden's QB Camp."