Academic Football

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
That and Scarnecchia has been the O-Line coach for over 30 years.

Crizilla

Reaction score
he's spot on. The sooner the fans and organization realize this, the better.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Tons of truth here, but I would rather watch and follow the rollercoaster that is seahawks football than the "conveyor belt" that is the patriots.

It also means that we will have years like this though. Highs and lows is what we have, I'm ok with that, gives me something to bitch about.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I agree with everything outside of, "they aren't beholden to any one player."

They are.

mrt144

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3gwc19e7 said:

They are.

Yeah, acting like Brady isn' the hub and everyone else are spokes is ridiculous. They aren't beholden to any spokes.

Seymour

Reaction score
Love Colin, and once again he is spot on. You can try but you cannot penetrate his logic.

Thanks for posting. :2thumbs:

MrThortan

Reaction score
Some cherry picked points, but some are valid. I'd also like to play the Bills Jets and Dolphins twice a year each. They did beat some good teams this year though. No denying their recent legacy

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I have always realized that people are not really rational creatures. They are emotional creatures.

Pete knows this. And he built an empire on stoking emotion. Emotion works, it creates adrenaline that makes you stronger and fasters, it dulls pain and can be a point of focus. It can be a huge advantage.

And this is why we won, if not turned into a buzzsaw, at home. Sure the faster field helped, but it was a massive factor.

The thing is, like any drug, eventually you need more and more of it to have the same effect. And so the fires get stoked hotter, but there are consequences - like late hits, taunting, penalties and eventually it just starts to spill out everywhere. Meanwhile, that same emotional rush fails to create the same effect.

Worse, when you have a huge high - you crash right after.

You simply cannot maintain an intense emotional state indefinitely. For there to be a high, there has to be a low. And we have noticed more and more that this team cannot play without the emotion and after a huge game, they usually come back to earth or crash right after.

It is a system that works, but it is not sustainable. Eventually the athletes see the manipulation and refuse to bite, or get ennui. The tricks to rev up the team fail because eventually you start hearing the same things. Sherman alluded to it. There are only so many emotional ploys or hooks that you can use, because people start to see the string after a while.

It does not mean it cannot work, but it cannot work on the same people. And the consequences of relying on it are significant.

Carroll is not a tremendous X or O type of coach. He is a guy that gets the most out of people by getting them to believe in themselves and by cultivating an Us vs Them mentality. It works, just not forever. And I think titles like Win Forever expose the hubris that was going to have consequences later.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
He's mostly spot-on.

I'd add the wheels fall off the machine as soon as Brady retires (and that's when Belicheck rides off into the sunset).

What teams have been somewhat consistent winners this century? I'd argue Pats, Steelers, Packers, Colts, Seahawks.

The one thing the 1st four had in common is an elite, HOF level QB. Hawks won with a young QB, stud RB, and unbelievable elite D.

Maybe there are other formulas that work...

This is why we trade Russell and draft Baker Mayfield !

mrt144

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":v3h3bnwz said:
He's mostly spot-on.

I'd add the wheels fall off the machine as soon as Brady retires (and that's when Belicheck rides off into the sunset).

What teams have been somewhat consistent winners this century? I'd argue Pats, Steelers, Packers, Colts, Seahawks.

The one thing the 1st four had in common is an elite, HOF level QB. Hawks won with a young QB, stud RB, and unbelievable elite D.

The Broncos took our blueprint and burned out on it way faster.

I'd be led to believe by the above that having a HOF level QB provides a firm floor on a team's fortunes when supported adequetely in their offensive realm and their defenses peaking at the right times to put them over the hump. Hell, by that standard though Eli Manning qualifies ;)

johnnyfever

Reaction score
mrt144":3cnsmb3b said:
Grahamhawker":3cnsmb3b said:
He's mostly spot-on.

The Broncos took our blueprint and burned out on it way faster.

I'd be led to believe by the above that having a HOF level QB provides a firm floor on a team's fortunes when supported adequetely in their offensive realm and their defenses peaking at the right times to put them over the hump. Hell, by that standard though Eli Manning qualifies ;)
We would have burned out faster as well but we have a magician quarterback who consistently has made something out of nothing. With the consistent regression though and zero adaptation by the offensive staff, It became too much for even the great Russ to overcome.

xgeoff

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3and7a9g said:

They are.

:ditto:

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's tough to take many lessons from the Patriots when they have arguably the best head coach and the best QB in the history of the NFL and are playing in the AFC East. The NFL is a ripoff league and what Colin is talking about are sound principles that every NFL team follows to an extent. Let's see how acclaimed the Patriots philosophy is five years from now.

mrt144

Reaction score
AgentDib":2qmegg7q said:
It's tough to take many lessons from the Patriots when they have arguably the best head coach and the best QB in the history of the NFL and are playing in the AFC East. The NFL is a ripoff league and what Colin is talking about are sound principles that every NFL team follows to an extent. Let's see how acclaimed the Patriots philosophy is five years from now.

I agree to an extent that it's kind of folly to say just be like BB and success will follow since the factors are as much to do with having the GOAT QB and not every coach or GM can foster and support that. But even taking that away, finding the reeds he's been able to bend into a successful team isn't something everyone can do - that's obvious.

If the Pats face the Steelers you get a chance to see just how superior BB is to Tomlin as a coach even taking it for granted that Tomlin passively rides his talent. Maybe the Steelers take it this year but I wouldn't bet on it.

BigMeach

Reaction score
The Media is a fickle beast.

https://youtu.be/DeGK0wbt2aE

Took 5 seconds to find. I'm sure there are many more this year of Cowherd blowing up the Seahawks...

Media says whatever they can to get clicks.

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":26bvz7g7 said:
I have always realized that people are not really rational creatures. They are emotional creatures.

Pete knows this. And he built an empire on stoking emotion. Emotion works, it creates adrenaline that makes you stronger and fasters, it dulls pain and can be a point of focus. It can be a huge advantage.

And this is why we won, if not turned into a buzzsaw, at home. Sure the faster field helped, but it was a massive factor.

The thing is, like any drug, eventually you need more and more of it to have the same effect. And so the fires get stoked hotter, but there are consequences - like late hits, taunting, penalties and eventually it just starts to spill out everywhere. Meanwhile, that same emotional rush fails to create the same effect.

Worse, when you have a huge high - you crash right after.

You simply cannot maintain an intense emotional state indefinitely. For there to be a high, there has to be a low. And we have noticed more and more that this team cannot play without the emotion and after a huge game, they usually come back to earth or crash right after.

It is a system that works, but it is not sustainable. Eventually the athletes see the manipulation and refuse to bite, or get ennui. The tricks to rev up the team fail because eventually you start hearing the same things. Sherman alluded to it. There are only so many emotional ploys or hooks that you can use, because people start to see the string after a while.

It does not mean it cannot work, but it cannot work on the same people. And the consequences of relying on it are significant.

Carroll is not a tremendous X or O type of coach. He is a guy that gets the most out of people by getting them to believe in themselves and by cultivating an Us vs Them mentality. It works, just not forever. And I think titles like Win Forever expose the hubris that was going to have consequences later.

That was an excellent post with some good points on maintaining emotional highs. But beyond that IMO we had the raw talent alone to at bare minimum be sporting 2 trophies from the last 6. 1 yard away in fact. That is what I find most aggravating as I don't see another in sight all too soon with more questions than answers.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Double edged sword.

Emotion can make you faster, play through pain, more determined, etc. It can literally be like running NOS when racing.

But it gives you tunnel vision. It removes your ability to analyze, and therefore adapt. The opposite of emotion is rational thought - so you won't adjust well.

You become easy to manipulate and to fool, as well as make bad decisions, in an emotional state.