Joe Thomas will be highest-paid OL

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/926902049605898240[/tweet]

The deal includes $3 million in new money over 2017 and 2018, including a $1.5 million roster bonus paid this past week, plus a raise of $1.5 million for 2018 of his base salary, which will now be $10.3 million.

Factoring in his base salary and bonuses, Thomas is now scheduled to take home $13.5 million in cash in 2018, the highest figure for any NFL offensive lineman.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2128 ... -big-raise

Maulbert

Reaction score
Thomas is a future HoFer, and the best player the Browns have had in their 2nd life. But I find the timing odd. He just suffered the first major injury of his career, and he turns 33 in December. If I'm the Browns, I'd deal him to a contender in the offseason. He's still the best tackle in the league, and on top of the draft capital he would bring, he deserves a shot at the post season. The Browns are literal seasons away from contention. I pity the guy a bit.

chris98251

Reaction score
Probably a way to keep anyone from trading for him as well as now push the going market for LT even higher, Brown I am sure is looking at that.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Disagree..Thomas is a few years passed his prime. Most browns fans will tell you this. Glad we got the right guy

chris98251

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3beckyvz said:
Disagree..Thomas is a few years passed his prime. Most browns fans will tell you this. Glad we got the right guy

O lineman are not RB's many have played into their late 30's at a very high level, unless they have a injury like Walter Jones.

Where some have played 20 years it seems many average around 12 to 14. So he could have another 4 to 6 years of good level production, considered the best right now even a slight step back would make him better then 3/4 of the rest.

It comes down to desire really and where he is at that may be a tough argument to make and keep losing.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":1jj0flm1 said:
Cyrus12":1jj0flm1 said:

O lineman are not RB's many have played into their late 30's at a very high level, unless they have a injury like Walter Jones.

Where some have played 20 years it seems many average around 12 to 14.

With Big Walt, it wasn't just the injuries. He couldn't even take NSAIDs to help with pain.

Josea16

Reaction score
Maulbert":177215am said:
Thomas is a future HoFer, and the best player the Browns have had in their 2nd life. But I find the timing odd. He just suffered the first major injury of his career, and he turns 33 in December. If I'm the Browns, I'd deal him to a contender in the offseason. He's still the best tackle in the league, and on top of the draft capital he would bring, he deserves a shot at the post season. The Browns are literal seasons away from contention. I pity the guy a bit.
He made his bed so let him sleep in it. I for one want no part of an "all about the money" player. He's on a team that's horribly ran in every possible way at every level yet he stays. He is set financially though. Good for him and his family.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":r5wwxbwd said:
Probably a way to keep anyone from trading for him as well as now push the going market for LT even higher, Brown I am sure is looking at that.
He is but 12 million or so is the going rate to let Wilson do his thing say like last Sunday? Brown is good for at least 3-5 years. Probably more given good/elite OL players often produce at good to elite levels for 15-20 years without injuries. And the majority last around 15 years.

Now imagine Russell Wilson with a good to elite LT as a 6-11 year quarterback. Basically his prime years. Oops, guess we won't have to imagine right?