Randy Gregory fails 5th drug test, checks into rehab

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/757997017020764160[/tweet]

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The NFL and the NFLPA need to get this fixed.

THE NFL should not be in the enforcement business for a substance that does not materially provide an advantage (save pain management) vs the other teams.

Losing all these players DOES detract from quality of the product on the fields and needlessly guts teams who lose talent contribution without a compensating draft pick for that time period.

I get the NFL does not want some player to spend half their time getting high instead of developing their playing ability - but it should not be all or nothing.

Seems the NFLPA should want this too. Negotiate recreational or medicinal use of Cannabis out of the agreements or make a series of financial fines tied to positive drug tests (maybe on % of contract to prevent guys with big contracts just smoking out?) to provide an incentive for players to abstain.

But all this suspension and removal from the season is overkill.

Mike

Ambrose83

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":32bkkpd7 said:

THE NFL should not be in the enforcement business for a substance that does not materially provide an advantage (save pain management) vs the other teams.

Losing all these players DOES detract from quality of the product on the fields and needlessly guts teams who lose talent contribution without a compensating draft pick for that time period.

I get the NFL does not want some player to spend half their time getting high instead of developing their playing ability - but it should not be all or nothing.

Seems the NFLPA should want this too. Negotiate recreational or medicinal use of Cannabis out of the agreements or make a series of financial fines tied to positive drug tests (maybe on % of contract to prevent guys with big contracts just smoking out?) to provide an incentive for players to abstain.

Mike

Lol.. let's just pretend weed isn't illegal in like 47 states or something.. and federally illegal in all... The players know the rules... Pretty easy to not blame anyone but them...

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Because its the Cowboys I say...haha. These guys know the rules, if they can't ply within them they can't play. If someone paid me millions a year with a caveat I can't do drugs then don't do drugs. I do not feel sorry for anyone of these players.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cyrus12":10fwe8y3 said:
Because its the Cowboys I say...haha. These guys know the rules, if they can't ply within them they can't play. If someone paid me millions a year with a caveat I can't do drugs then don't do drugs. I do not feel sorry for anyone of these players.
That's where I sit. It's funny because it's the Cowboys! 8)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"Lol.. let's just pretend weed isn't illegal in like 47 states or something.. "

Except it is not. 20+ states have medical allowances.

And just to be clear, I don't take it - but I don't understand the big concern about those that do.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Who is this guy? More importantly should I care? I figure it's Dallas so it's business as usual and I laugh just like the Raiders when Al went stupid.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1yu7ylzc said:
"Lol.. let's just pretend weed isn't illegal in like 47 states or something.. "

Except it is not. 20+ states have medical allowances.

And just to be clear, I don't take it - but I don't understand the big concern about those that do.
5 years maximum it will be legal everywhere if not less.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Doesn't Matter that is Legal in however many states. As long as its Illegal on the Federal level its illegal. State doesn't supersede Federal. And if an employer says no go then that's the employers choice and they're protected by it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
JPatera76":10ow2skt said:
Doesn't Matter that is Legal in however many states. As long as its Illegal on the Federal level its illegal. State doesn't supersede Federal. And if an employer says no go then that's the employers choice and they're protected by it.
5 years everywhere means just that. I'm not mincing words here. Just watch and learn. It's a Gen Y/Millennial thing vs. The Gen X/and should be already dead generation thing. We don't have issues about marijuana and know how to spoof the piss test.

mikeak

Reaction score
JPatera76":2yguax8s said:

I agree that private employers have the right to test for it. However they also have the right NOT to test for it.

Legal or not legal in a state / federal level is almost immaterial. The NFL could strike it from illegal substances or simply elect not to screen for it under their drug testing policy.

I am not really advocating for them doing so / not - just saying it is totally their decision for how to proceed.

Edit: employers really don't need protection for what they deem not allowed. There are several major companies that doesn't allow employees smoking cigarettes and will test for nicotine.....fully legal

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Didn't the NBA take it off their banned substance list years ago, even before states started legalizing both recreationally and medically?

King Dog

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1xx38r5o said:
JPatera76":1xx38r5o said:
5 years everywhere means just that. I'm not mincing words here. Just watch and learn. It's a Gen Y/Millennial thing vs. The Gen X/and should be already dead generation thing. We don't have issues about marijuana and know how to spoof the piss test.

"and know how to spoof the piss test"
Lol. Obviously not.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
King Dog":1cpya0rc said:
MizzouHawkGal":1cpya0rc said:
JPatera76":1cpya0rc said:

Lol. Obviously not.

I had an old roommate that smoked Mary Jane every night, and passed a ton of drug tests in the early 90's, he said he had a "secret concoction". Worked for the piss test, but wouldn't work with the hair tests later on.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
King Dog":26f00xzg said:
MizzouHawkGal":26f00xzg said:
JPatera76":26f00xzg said:

Lol. Obviously not.
It's not hard to do guy. There are tried and true ways to flush your system you just have to be in the know. Or what? You think nobody smokes weed and works a real job? Everyone in my generation and before does it all the time. And the generation after mine? Yeah keep up. You have to piss test to get any job beyond McDonald's that isn't under the table or independent contracting and similar, last time I checked and who knows? Possibly McDonald's etc. changed their requirements.

Rob12

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2tpgqb8l said:

Mike

How can recreational use get approved when federally, it's an illegal substance? At the state level, it's illegal in 46 or 47 starts.

A CBA agreement in a professional sports league doesn't make it any less illegal.

I agree in large part about medicinal usage, though. But that's on the NFLPA to put in the work and get the research done so it can get approved.

King Dog

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":d7mjsxzy said:
King Dog":d7mjsxzy said:
MizzouHawkGal":d7mjsxzy said:
JPatera76":d7mjsxzy said:

Lol. Obviously not.
It's not hard to do guy. There are tried and true ways to flush your system you just have to be in the know. Or what? You think nobody smokes weed and works a real job? Everyone in my generation and before does it all the time. And the generation after mine? Yeah keep up. You have to piss test to get any job beyond McDonald's that isn't under the table or independent contracting and similar, last time I checked and who knows? Possibly McDonald's etc. changed their requirements.

Hey girlfriend. NFL players are failing their tests left and right. This is pretty basic stuff here.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Should tell you something right? Hey, they shouldn't do it because it's against the rules and illegal. It's a dumb rule and marijuana shouldn't be illegal but it is and 10 year olds are suicide bombers. It's how the world works some things are stupid but people do them and many laws are ridiculous but they're made anyway and people with a lot to lose need to be aware of that.

kearly

Reaction score
I hate seeing players blow their careers and millions of dollars for their families because of stuff like this.

That said, I never saw the appeal in Gregory as a prospect. Seemed like a classic media hype job on draft day. I thought maybe he'd prove that instinct wrong but so far he hasn't.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Rob12":7s6oz6qy said:
TwistedHusky":7s6oz6qy said:

Mike

How can recreational use get approved when federally, it's an illegal substance? At the state level, it's illegal in 46 or 47 starts.

A CBA agreement in a professional sports league doesn't make it any less illegal.

I agree in large part about medicinal usage, though. But that's on the NFLPA to put in the work and get the research done so it can get approved.

It can't be approved but that doesn't mean you have to screen for it.

These guys aren't operating heavy machinery and there is no risk on the field if a player has enough in their system to test positive. I really don't know why the NFL even cares, especially considering the pain relief it can provide.

I don't use it myself but my son who has epilepsy does and there are studies out now that show it can help to prevent seizures so no way I would ask or tell my son he can't do it. He also informed his current employer before starting the job and they said just don't do it at or before work.