Joe Montana on life after football

kearly

Reaction score
No doubt, playing in the NFL ages you. Not just the hits, but the extreme fitness aspect and the supplements. Add it all up and guys start to look and feel 75 when they are 55. There's a reason Arnold Schwarzenegger looks 84 at age 68, (and couch potatoes like William Shatner look 68 at age 84).

mrt144

Reaction score
kearly":1lupb8ch said:
No doubt, playing in the NFL ages you. Not just the hits, but the extreme fitness aspect and the supplements. Add it all up and guys start to look and feel 75 when they are 55. There's a reason Arnold Schwarzenegger looks 84 at age 68, (and couch potatoes like William Shatner look 68 at age 84).

Add a lb or two a year and you plump the skin to look young. Shatner just went whole hog early.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":1a0nhgde said:

Arnold looks so old thanks to steroids, and we aren't talking the ones like today's athletes are getting prescribed for "low T", but much harsher and unregulated ones. I don't think taking some protein shakes and whatever over the counter, plus working out hard and cardio, makes people look old.

Talk about looking the same for all time, has anyone paid attention to Patrick Stewart? The guy looks exactly the same now as he did in Dune. WTF is he doing?

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":1ftbr88r said:
kearly":1ftbr88r said:

Arnold looks so old thanks to steroids, and we aren't talking the ones like today's athletes are getting prescribed for "low T", but much harsher and unregulated ones. I don't think taking some protein shakes and whatever over the counter, plus working out hard and cardio, makes people look old.

Talk about looking the same for all time, has anyone paid attention to Patrick Stewart? The guy looks exactly the same now as he did in Dune. WTF is he doing?

There's something called "oxidative stress" that occurs when you work out longer than one hour at a time (professional athletes and body builders often work out WAY beyond a 1 hour threshold). Oxidative stress damages cells (aging is a sign of diminished cells) and can lead to heart problems. For a guy like Arnold that has lived in the gym for decades, it's pretty easy to see how oxidative stress could take a huge toll on him. Though I agree, the drug use in times past has definitely contributed as well.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
It was quite noticeable on the MVP introductions how many of the guys were limping and looking stiff.

Boycie

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":d68qpl1q said:
It was quite noticeable on the MVP introductions how many of the guys were limping and looking stiff.

Kind of makes you understand why Lynch, and Megatron are hanging them up at the age they are.

chris98251

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2emjtqmu said:

Look at their age, I limp around and get stiff and didn't spend as much time playing as they did, it's called paying your dues for a life of physical labor.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Always had mad respect for Joe. He played the game the right way, said the right things and oh yeah, was kind of good at his craft. 8)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":y8x6lj29 said:
UK_Seahawk":y8x6lj29 said:

Look at their age, I limp around and get stiff and didn't spend as much time playing as they did, it's called paying your dues for a life of physical labor.
Yep, and I'm still doing it at age 59. Keeps me slim but damn everything hurts man.
2 1/2 more years and I'm done though.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":l7ywv08m said:
chris98251":l7ywv08m said:
UK_Seahawk":l7ywv08m said:

Yep, and I'm still doing it at age 59. Keeps me slim but damn everything hurts man.
Kurt Warner isn't that old. There were others of a similar age to.

chris98251

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3sok0vrt said:
hawksfansinceday1":3sok0vrt said:
chris98251":3sok0vrt said:
UK_Seahawk":3sok0vrt said:

Kurt Warner isn't that old. There were others of a similar age to.

Pack 12 foot sheets of 5/8 thick around and use your head to nail ceilings for a few years, you will learn that it doesn't take long for knees, neck and back age rather quickly. There are other professions Roofers and Hod carriers for mason work that will bust you up quick also. Many professions can make you older before your time while leaving you with aches and pains that only grow as you age, god forbid you blow something like a disc or a knee out.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
kearly":1wicwt0g said:
CPHawk":1wicwt0g said:
kearly":1wicwt0g said:

There's something called "oxidative stress" that occurs when you work out longer than one hour at a time (professional athletes and body builders often work out WAY beyond a 1 hour threshold). Oxidative stress damages cells (aging is a sign of diminished cells) and can lead to heart problems. For a guy like Arnold that has lived in the gym for decades, it's pretty easy to see how oxidative stress could take a huge toll on him. Though I agree, the drug use in times past has definitely contributed as well.

Research is all over the place on oxidative stress related to exercise and training. There's nothing magical about one hour.