30 for 30 Documentary Thurs Feb 4th 9 PM

BigBadRickTuten

Reaction score
on the '85 Bears, the MOST DOMINANT single-season team in the history of organized team athletics. The greatest single-season defense in the history of sport. I encourage everyone on here to watch it, if you want to see what historically transcendent football looks like. The world had not seen a force as destructive as the 46 defense since the Wehrmacht was rampaging across Eurasia, circa 1941. Here is the link:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/reviews/the- ... 201689388/

and here are a few choice quotes, from some folks who, umm, know a thing or two (or three) about football:

"I have always said, the '85 Bears defense was the single greatest defense I had ever seen play, as a fan, coach or analyst." - John Madden

"It took every bit of experience and knowledge I possessed to scheme and prepare for that defense. The 46 was the a singular achievement in defensive football. It was the most impressive scheme I had witnessed in all my years in the league." -Bill Walsh

"Buddy Ryan forever changed the sport of football with that scheme and with that defense. It remains the greatest defense I have ever seen play." -Ron Jaworski

By Paul Zimmerman
Feb. 03, 1986
VIEW COVER
FEB. 03, 1986

"We amy never we see anything approaching the vision of hell that Chicago inflicted on the poor New England Patriots Sunday in Super Bowl XX. It was near perfect, an exquisite mesh of talent and system, defensive football carried to its highest degree. It was a great roaring wave that swept through the playoffs, gathering force and momentum, until it finally crashed home in New Orleans' Superdome in pro football's showcase game.

The game wasn't exciting. So what? Go down to Bourbon Street if you want excitement. It wasn't competitive. The verdict on Chicago's 46-10 victory was in after two Patriot series. Don't feel cheated. Louis-Schmeling II wasn't very competitive, either. Nor was the British cavalry charge at Balaklava, but Tennyson wrote a poem about it. This game and this defense transcended the ordinary standards we use in judging football. It was historic." -Paul Zimmerman

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I do look forward to that 30 for 30. With the subject matter in mind, where does the 2013-14 Hawks defense rank all-time? Would top 5 be out of the question?

NINEster

Reaction score
It's pretty amazing how impactful it could be and then how relatively quickly it became obsolete in the NFL.

I believe it was still viable in the early '90s with Ryan coaching the Oilers. I remember the 49ers losing 10-7 at the Astrodome, and that defense beating up Montana and the Chiefs (before losing) in the playoffs.

Would like to watch this.....I wasn't watching much football in '85, so should be good to see.

Also curious how the '86 Giants defense compared.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Interesting fact, though: the 85 Bears defense wasn't as good as their 86 defense. They gave up fewer yards and points in 86, and finished 14-2. The difference was their offense dropped from the top 10 into the teens and they lost to a wild card Redskins team at home, so no one remembers that defense as well.