Chargers Stay in San Diego for 2016 (at least)

kidhawk

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... o-for-2016

The Chargers are staying in San Diego for the 2016 season in hopes of negotiating a stadium deal with the city, team owner Dean Spanos announced in a statement Friday.

The Chargers' announcement comes after the team reached an agreement to share a proposed stadium in Inglewood with the Los Angeles Rams. The Chargers have until January 2017 to decide whether they intend to relocate to L.A. or stay in San Diego. The tentative stadium agreement in no way guarantees the Chargers will be playing in Los Angeles.

Sounds like they may be making progress on a deal to stay in San Diego. That would put the Raiders back on to move to LA if the Chargers eventually back out of moving to LA

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I lived down there from '89 to '02 and just can't imagine them anywhere else besides San Diego. I do hope they finally work it out. Qualcomm Stadium is for sure past its prime.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
San Diego deserves an NFL team. But, more than anything, Chargers deserve a new owner.
I hope some billionaire buys that team and keeps it in San Diego.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Why does the owner have to be a billionaire???Paull Allen is one but he didn't pay for the Clink,the state owns it

lobohawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":vou6aekj said:
San Diego deserves an NFL team. But, more than anything, Chargers deserve a new owner.

This. They really need new ownership. Almost doesn't matter who.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2pf1uky8 said:
Why does the owner have to be a billionaire???Paull Allen is one but he didn't pay for the Clink,the state owns it
It's been almost 20 years since Paul Allen bought the Seahawks and got the stadium approved. CenturyLink cost $430 million, of which the public paid for $300 million. There's no way a stadium is getting built in San Diego now for less than double that amount, and the public won't pay the majority of it. So you're going to need someone who can afford to shell out $500 million to $1 billion to get a new stadium.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
joeseahawks":ynqh73ue said:
Another total agreement from me (unless it's a guy like Behring). And keep im mind Dean Spanos who is running the team and owns the team is just riding on daddy's coattails cuz Alex originally bought them and was the one that made all the coin in the first place.

In other words, he's the SoCal version of Jedthro.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is off memory, but Paul did kick in a substantial amount of money on the stadium, he covered any cost over runs and made some guarantees and promises to satisfy tax payers and the city. Remember the Kingdome tile situation was fresh in everyone minds and the naysayers were still pissed about the money owed on the Dome and the refurbish that supposedly had been done and had money owed. Paul ate some of that as well based on my recollection.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
To be on topic first,Spanos has 300 million from NFL to use on SD stadium and another 350 million if voters there pass it.I'd say if Spanos cannot finace the rest,he should be forced to sell to a local buyer.On Chris post,you are pretty much correct that PA did cover 100+ million but only on the condition that his company 1st One gets to keep all proceeds from ticket,parking and food/drink sales.I believe this covers stadium rental for other events and lease for soccer as well.1st One also pays the state 20 million a year for a 20 year lease.I'm not sure who recieves the Clink field name rights $ or other advertising but PA has made out very well in this deal.I worry about the NFL becoming like the NBA on stadiums.I fear in 20 years or less what happens if the say the Clink is outdated?