Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Alex Mack "Winning is important"

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Alex Mack "Winning is important"
Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:53 am
  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -important

This is a month story, but I thought it was interesting and figured it was worth sharing.

While technically not a free agent, Alex Mack can opt out of his deal this offseason and hit UFA. It's generally expected that he will. Mack turns 31 next season, and probably still has 3-4 seasons left in his prime. And while "winning is important" could very well just be talk, I could see the appeal of a guy going from Cleveland to a perennial playoff team on his last big contract.

I don't think Seattle will sign Mack, because some team with a lot of cash will probably have him inked to a mega-deal during the pre-FA negotiation period. However, a pretty strong case could be made that if Mack cost the same money as Okung + Sweezy, that Seattle might be better served making a play for Mack given the trouble Seattle has had versus elite DTs such as Aaron Donald.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Re: Alex Mack "Winning is important"
Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:27 am
  • kearly wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000608394/article/browns-mack-on-optout-clause-winning-is-important

This is a month story, but I thought it was interesting and figured it was worth sharing.

While technically not a free agent, Alex Mack can opt out of his deal this offseason and hit UFA. It's generally expected that he will. Mack turns 31 next season, and probably still has 3-4 seasons left in his prime. And while "winning is important" could very well just be talk, I could see the appeal of a guy going from Cleveland to a perennial playoff team on his last big contract.

I don't think Seattle will sign Mack, because some team with a lot of cash will probably have him inked to a mega-deal during the pre-FA negotiation period. However, a pretty strong case could be made that if Mack cost the same money as Okung + Sweezy, that Seattle might be better served making a play for Mack given the trouble Seattle has had versus elite DTs such as Aaron Donald.

This alone is a reason to sign him. The most important area of protection for Russell Wilson, much like Drew Brees, is up the middle, not off the edges. Alvin Bailey does surprisingly well at LT, and if we could get Britt to play up to his supposed ability at LG, we'd be s'ittin' in tall cotton.

I would much prefer our 1st round pick go to one of the many DTs available, or a DE/LEO to replace Irvin (if he leaves).
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:18 pm
  • Man I wish this guy would be a Seahawk for the next several years. I know it's unlikely, but I'm gonna dream of it til where he plays next year becomes official.

Kealy: since you said it would take Sweezy plus Okung money to get him, that would mean about 10 mil per right?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:29 pm
  • I have wanted Mack on the Seahawks since he was in College. I would love if they found a way to plug him into our O-line.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:33 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Kealy: since you said it would take Sweezy plus Okung money to get him, that would mean about 10 mil per right?

10 or 11, yup.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:37 pm
  • In the PFF article ranking the OL's, they had this to say about the Browns interior:

"The tackles were the highlight of the line, with both Thomas and Mitchell Schwartz playing extremely well. The interior play prevented this line from being any higher on the list, though both guards were far from disappointing, and Alex Mack never a liability. We’ve just seen them all play better, with it not coming together this year."

Mack will be 31 next season. Is he starting to decline?
    massari
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:43 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Kealy: since you said it would take Sweezy plus Okung money to get him, that would mean about 10 mil per right?

10 or 11, yup.

That seems like a big jump in salary. He's already the highest paid at his position with $8.4 million APY.

By what date must Mack void his contract to enter free agency? If winning is really important to him, then he should be willing to take around $8 million APY.
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:45 pm
  • I wonder how much it'd take to get Stefan Wisniewski? He visited the Hawks last off season, left without a contract then signed with the Jags for 2.5M. PFF said this about him:

"Stud: Former Raiders center Stefen Wisniewski came in and did a good, if not great, job."
    massari
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:49 pm
  • massari wrote:I wonder how much it'd take to get Stefan Wisniewski? He visited the Hawks last off season, left without a contract then signed with the Jags for 2.5M. PFF said this about him:

"Stud: Former Raiders center Stefen Wisniewski came in and did a good, if not great, job."

He would certainly fit the budget in a much better fashion. So was he on a one year deal in Jville?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:06 pm
  • winning is important...money is more important...likely to go to the raiders or somewhere with a lot of cap room.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:49 pm
  • Patrick Lewis will turn 25 in nine days and made $585K last season. He's a RFA this offseason.

I actually really like this kid. Is the upgrade from Lewis to Mack worth $6.5-8M a season? I don't think it is. I don't know what Mack will sign for, but he's just coming off of a five-year, $42M deal.

Maybe I'm not enough of an offensive line guru, but in no universe do I think that Mack is that much of an upgrade over a much younger, cheaper player who has played pretty well for us. I'd almost consider that wasted money. Maybe I'm crazy, but we're literally talking a $6.5 to 8M cap hit difference.

Don't think I'm down with that.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:50 pm
  • So is it a foregone conclusion here that Lewis isn't the answer, and we need to upgrade the C position? Honest question; maybe I misjudged Lewis a bit.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:39 am
  • Trade away max Unger and a 1st to get Graham and alleviate salary cap issues and yall are talking about a 31 year old alex mack at 10 mil a year? OL is the Seahawks dump stat
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:55 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    massari wrote:I wonder how much it'd take to get Stefan Wisniewski? He visited the Hawks last off season, left without a contract then signed with the Jags for 2.5M. PFF said this about him:

He would certainly fit the budget in a much better fashion. So was he on a one year deal in Jville?

Yup, he's a UFA this March.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:11 am
  • Too Old. Unless he really, really wants to win. ie cheap contract.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:18 am
  • massari wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    massari wrote:I wonder how much it'd take to get Stefan Wisniewski? He visited the Hawks last off season, left without a contract then signed with the Jags for 2.5M. PFF said this about him:

I was just looking over the UFA list and saw his name. I remember he visited. Is winning important to Wisniewski as well? He chose JAX over SEA. Hmmm... Wonder if he hates Seattle or something? He's a Penn St. guy.
    Fan since team Est. 1976
    Winner of 2013 and 2015 .net annual draft contests
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:53 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:winning is important...money is more important...likely to go to the raiders or somewhere with a lot of cap room.

For someone of his age and salary, it's unlikely he'll get a raise in free agency. He hasn't been dominant enough to justify getting a raise over already being the highest paid center in the league. I think he's being honest about wanting to win. I'd expect him to sign the highest contract offered from a legit contender.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 am
  • Trade for him.

He's said he wants to win, he's not going to be doing that in Cleveland. I bet you he'd happily be traded here and Cleveland would be happy to get something for him (knowing he could cancel his contract). Trade for him. Keep his contract the same ($8m per, plus add some guarantees). Offer them a 4th/5th. Get it done.
    "I knocked you on your ass tho, that's all I'm sayin'. And imma do it again! Imma continue to do it. Imma do it again, Imma do it again and again!" Kam Chancellor.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:57 am
  • If Alex Mack wants to play for a winner, I can't imagine he doesn't have the Seahawks on his short list of possible teams. A Super Bowl contender where the Center position isn't set. He could come in and bring leadership and veteran savvy to this line.
    I'd rather them go with the continuity of Patrick Lewis and find a Center in the draft (even late or an UDRFA) rather than see them sign Mack to a 10-11 mil contract . I do think it's important to improve the play of the ENTIRE line.
    Fan since team Est. 1976
    Winner of 2013 and 2015 .net annual draft contests
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:33 am
  • Rob12 wrote:So is it a foregone conclusion here that Lewis isn't the answer, and we need to upgrade the C position? Honest question; maybe I misjudged Lewis a bit.

Lewis is so cap friendly it hurts. And how would Lewis be on the list of needed upgrades ahead of Britt and Sweezy?
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:48 pm
  • hawknation2016 wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Kealy: since you said it would take Sweezy plus Okung money to get him, that would mean about 10 mil per right?

10 or 11, yup.

That seems like a big jump in salary. He's already the highest paid at his position with $8.4 million APY.

By what date must Mack void his contract to enter free agency? If winning is really important to him, then he should be willing to take around $8 million APY.

I think him being UFA in the current cash happy market will probably get him to $10 million. When Seattle let Hutch have the market test his value, Hutch got left tackle money. My thinking is that Mack could probably pull that off too, even if he is a bit older than Hutch was. I guess we'll see. I hope you are right.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:12 pm
  • "Winning is important" but $$$$ are more important to 95% of players.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:33 am
  • 80% chance John toys with your emotions while kicking the tires, 19% no visit.

I have it at 1 %.
    AVL
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:19 am
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    massari wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:He would certainly fit the budget in a much better fashion. So was he on a one year deal in Jville?

I was just looking over the UFA list and saw his name. I remember he visited. Is winning important to Wisniewski as well? He chose JAX over SEA. Hmmm... Wonder if he hates Seattle or something? He's a Penn St. guy.

I don't think Seattle ever offered him a contract. There were some concerns about his health, which is why the Raiders let him go and why he only ended up signing a one year deal with the Jags.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:36 am
  • We sign or trade for a center. Makes very much sense.

Stabilizes line calls
    Helps guards
    Can snap the ball. I have seen enough bad snaps this year
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:58 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information