Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

London Franchise

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
London Franchise
Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:27 am
  • Is is a good idea to have a UK NFL franchise?

[*]As good as it would be for widening the interest in the sport, would college players really want to be drafted to that team?

[*]Even with the regular season scheduling to accomodate a trip to london as part of the bye week, surely its still a bit unnecessary and would produce a team thats a bit of a gimmick?

We have a similar thing being discussed at the moment with the EPL, with teams potentially having to play on another continent for one premiership game, and this in itself is seen by many as unnecessary.

NFL is broadcast to a large international audience, and as someone in the UK I can tune in on a sunday evening like you would in the US to watch and enjoy with no hassle (albeit I may have to stay up until the early hours if its a late KO at Century Link). So why does the UK need its own franchise?

Interested to hear the thoughts of US and UK seahawks fans
    Seahawks_UK
    NET Bench Warmer

Re: London Franchise
Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:29 am
  • A London franchise would be a stupid logistical nightmare that would show that the NFL is only guided by making money.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 am
  • I agree, and can I praise the DP as someone whose family is from Hasland haha, I am a Spireite myself
    Seahawks_UK
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:43 am
  • Would be a disaster, but money talks.

I can't get my head around the logistics. As you say, you've got the college players to think about, but also the vets. Not everyone's going to see it as exciting.

Then you've got tax issues to think about. I think non resident athletes earning in the UK are taxed a whopping 50%, plus a portion of any endorsement deals. The alternative? Become a resident with 45% income tax instead.

In summation, it could become farcical, with holdouts, trade requests and unhappy football players, not to mention a crappy team travelling 6+ hours every other week.
    "I knocked you on your ass tho, that's all I'm sayin'. And imma do it again! Imma continue to do it. Imma do it again, Imma do it again and again!" Kam Chancellor.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:05 am
  • A return of NFL Europe I could get behind, but a London-based team just doesn't make a lick of sense, IMO.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:20 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:A return of NFL Europe I could get behind, but a London-based team just doesn't make a lick of sense, IMO.

This. I just don't see how competitive balance can be had.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:45 am
  • The thought that they would even be in discussion on this idea boggles my mind. I mean the logistics of putting teams in Hawaii or Alaska (no, the Seahawks really aren't in South Alaska) would be bad enough.

Sorry, but 3 time zones is well enough distance to span with sports teams. Expanding it to 6 or 7 time zones is ludicrous.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:48 am
  • It would be a total disaster.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:22 am
  • Seems like when this topic comes up, our UK posters always say something like, "Everybody here that's a fan already has a team they follow. We don't really need or want one."

I can see how that would be true, but over time, wouldn`t the "home team" build allegiance?

Personally, I don`t really like the idea. Canada and Mexico seem like better places to start going international. Fully colonize the home continent before crossing the seas...
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:15 am
  • There are ways to make the logistics of having a team so far away possible. I don't really believe it's a great idea though and after the glitter of being new wears off I could see it not making sense financially.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 9uKKoOAeCQ
    RobDaHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:33 pm
  • I've never understood how anyone could even consider it as a plausible idea. We complain about the effect a 10am start has on the west coast teams, do you know what time Monday night football (not to mention the Superbowl) starts in England. Their players will have the most messed up circadian rhythms. Besides, who's going to want them in their division.
    el capitan
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:53 pm
  • One team in London? No way.

What could possibly make sense is an entire division over there. Then you could do something like 4 home games, 6 road games (in the US), and then back to London for the rest of your schedule.

But no team would want to play that many consecutive road games.

I think it's more likely that we see two games in London per week from, say, weeks 2-9 - with every team forced to partake (like Thursday night games). Whoever is the road team for the Thursday game (which is a big disadvantage IMO) gets to be the "road" team in England (which provides the advantage of only 7 true road games). That way you still get a bye week after your London trip.

It would also be awesome for all the European fans to have a chance to see their team every season.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:04 pm
  • I'd really like the Jaguars to move to London and the Bills move to Toronto. Then put the Raiders in Mexico City.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:19 pm
  • Some fun ideas from everyone here.

I'm in the already a Seahawks fan camp so not bothered about a team. Would love a weekly game and a chance to see the Hawks live without the trip though. I also really appreciate the work the NFL are putting in for the fans (profits) here. I walked into the Nike store and bought a jersey, that wouldn't have been possible before.

Someone mentioned colonising North America first though, makes more sense to me unless the revenue opportunity in Europe dwarfs Canada and Mexico.
    London12
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:24 pm
  • Lol, we already colonized North America around 1776 I believe. Didn't turn out so hot for the Britts that time either.
    RobDaHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:44 pm
  • What a humorous and intelligent response.
    London12
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:57 pm
  • London......Ontario? :P
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:30 pm
  • We need to keep the time zones within three hours for the logistical necessities. Goodell should be trying to get CFL cities to upgrade and join the NFL. Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal would all make good sense. Especially Toronto.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:32 pm
  • This "in season" exhibitions are stupid too. I'm glad the Hawks have never had to make that trip and I hope they never do. They ought to change it to preseason only.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:13 pm
  • Why don't they first try to create some actual buzz about American Football in Europe before expanding to there? I'm really passionate about it and think it's by far the most fun sport to watch. How did I find out about it? Some random sports highlight video on youtube. There is next to no media coverage on national tv here and the only channel that does show American Football is a paid channel called 'Fox Sports' that's even more expensive than Gamepass.

There is a potential market, there just aren't enough ways to get in contact with it. Most people I know think it's exactly the same as Rugby with pads, which doesn't really sound attractive. Before London gets a NFL franchise make sure Europe has created a sustainable fanbase and even then I'd rather have a NFL Europe as a minor league over random European cities getting NFL franchises.
    Overseasfan
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:05 am
  • There is no way a London team will succeed in my opinion. Sure people like the "event" element of the Wembley games but there isn't enough there to support an actual team. Looking at UK TV figures it's clear that there is a market here but it's a small one

Top 5 Games - UK TV
    1. Week 7 - Buffalo v Jacksonville - Wembley - 381,000 - BBC
    2. Week 4 - NY Jets v Miami - Wembley - 290,000 - BBC
    3. Week 1 - Green Bay at Chicago - 117,000 - Sky
    4. Week 9 - Green Bay at Carolina - 103,000 - Sky
    5. Week 14 - Pittsburgh at Cincinnati - 96,000 - Sky

The BBC figures skew things slightly as lot's of homes just leave BBC on all the time over here. Whether they were "active" watchers is debatable

I don't really know if I'm indicative of most UK fans but there is no way I would watch a London team unless they were playing Seattle. Maybe that's the intention? To fill the ground with fans of the opposition rather than those of the Jags/TBC?

Another sport I follow, rugby league, has been trying to crack the London market for over 30 years without success. There have been London sides down there but they have never been supported in large numbers - although when the England rugby league team plays they often fill Wembley. As I said London likes an event but a full season? Not likely in my opinion
    UK Seahawk since 25 November 1984
    retro74
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:22 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:A London franchise would be a stupid logistical nightmare that would show that the NFL is only guided by making money.

This.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:52 am
  • I would not like a team in London either

I was at the clink for the steelers game this season and the away support was great..it made the atmosphere better and more fun when we won..

can you imagine a home game with no away fans ( well not many ) because of the travel.

this I think would also be unfair on away fans having the chance to go to a game.

this I think is another money making idea to make the nfl owners richer at the expense of the fans
    uk seahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:24 pm
  • The only way a team in London will work is if there is a separate league/conference in Europe. But then you are talking about having 8-10 teams minimum, and I just don't see how they could generate enough marketshare to be successful.
    "Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    Seahawks1983
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:39 pm
  • As someone that lives just outside of London I don't like the idea.

The thought of every NFL team playing one game (be it home or away) appeals to me massively as I'd get to see the Hawks play once a year without it costing me £3000+ (over $5000!).

The reality is most UK NFL fans already have a team and wouldn't transition over. I'd have a loose interest in them but I certainly wouldn't become a season ticket holder.

Stick to X amount of games a year in London and I will stay happy, I was absolutely gutted the Hawks aren't making their way over to London next year though.
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:20 pm
  • original poster wrote:As someone that lives just outside of London I don't like the idea.

The thought of every NFL team playing one game (be it home or away) appeals to me massively as I'd get to see the Hawks play once a year without it costing me £3000+ (over $5000!).

The reality is most UK NFL fans already have a team and wouldn't transition over. I'd have a loose interest in them but I certainly wouldn't become a season ticket holder.

Stick to X amount of games a year in London and I will stay happy, I was absolutely gutted the Hawks aren't making their way over to London next year though.

This.....
    Tellin it like it is!
    Blueboy
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:41 am
  • BBC website is running a story that claims there will be a UK franchise in the next 6 years

To quote the BBC - The UK will have its own American football franchise within six years, according to NFL spokesman Mark Waller.

Interesting that it doesn't say London. I wonder if there is potential to play at different venues around the country? Scotland seems to have a fan base and there are a lot of fans where I live in the NW. St Helens where I live were national champions back in the 1990s
    retro74
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:03 am
  • retro74 wrote:BBC website is running a story that claims there will be a UK franchise in the next 6 years

To quote the BBC - The UK will have its own American football franchise within six years, according to NFL spokesman Mark Waller.

Interesting that it doesn't say London. I wonder if there is potential to play at different venues around the country? Scotland seems to have a fan base and there are a lot of fans where I live in the NW. St Helens where I live were national champions back in the 1990s

Came onto post the same news. Ridiculous idea I think.

With the best will in the world no NFL team is going to play in a stadium that holds 18k people (Langtree Park). London is the only realistic logistical place for a UK franchise.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:27 am
  • Oh I don't think for even one second that they'd play in an RL stadium but Old Trafford would be big enough in terms of capacity. The issue they usually have with soccer grounds is that the pitches aren't long enough though

I've watched many, many RL matches in Old Trafford and the pitch is clearly not big enough for that but they play every year regardless
    retro74
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:14 pm
  • Oh well f it, looking forward to getting the Hawks every now and again. In London hopefully.

Guess we'd be in an Eastern division..
    London12
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:46 pm
  • Threedee wrote:Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal would all make good sense. Especially Toronto.

I live in Toronto and the chance of it happening passed with the Bills staying in Buffalo.

The problem with Toronto is Buffalo is 90 minutes away; it'slike if Vancouver was half the distance from Seattle that it actually is and the NFL put a team in Vancouver.

Montreal is Montreal; there's a reason they don't even have an NBA team and haven't had an MLB team for a decade.

The problem with Ottawa is that there's really nothing around Ottawa, it's a smaller city (800K) with a crazily tiny greater metro area for a city of that size (1.2 million total metro area -- compare that to Seattle's 700K or so but 3.5 million plus in the metro area).

The real reason that I don't think it'll ever happen is I can't imagine any Canadian city ponying up the money for it (Canada is really into balanced budgets, and they're also not dumb enough to do it), and there just aren't enough billionaires here (and the population of billionaires isn't wealthy enough) to do it themselves.

I'd LOOOOOVE for there to be an NFL team in Toronto (I love it here and doubt I'll ever move), but it sadly just ain't gonna happen.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:48 pm
  • Goodell is the only idiot that could support this idea.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information