In Case You Missed It: Heath Evans Great Listen

ivotuk

Reaction score
I have the utmost respect for Heath Evans, even though he irritates me sometimes with his (now rarer and rarer) anti-Seahawks comments. But I have to give him props for being honest and my respect grew even more after what he said about Manziel.

We try to keep threads on topic in these forums, but Heath covers a couple of topics (Seahawks and the other Playoff teams, Manziel, Concussions or the validity of the movie Concussion [I see it as inflammatory]), so feel free to discuss any one of them in this thread, or to make a new thread that you would prefer to focus/discuss just a single topic from this podcast.

http://collegespun.com/sec/texas-am/vid ... reer-games

Here's the podcast from yesterday with Heath Evans, and they also "eavesdrop" on Richard Sherman:

Heath Evans of the NFL Network gives his take on Johnny Manziel, who the best playoff teams are, the effects of playing in cold weather games, and the impact Russell Wilson and Tyler Lockett could have on the game.

In "The Eavesdrop" we listen to Richard Sherman in his press conference today.

Plus, Bob and Tom give us their "Parting Shots"

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... 0and%20Tom

Heath Evans on concussions and the movie Concussion:

"I've challenged Troy Vincent and Roger Goodell to let me be the mouothpiece on fighting this battle, because will the numbers support what that bullcrap movie said and what doctors who want their name and face recognized can prove it with real life people our numbers in the NFL for current and retired athletes early onset dementia, alzheimeres, suicide, depression, alcoholism our numbers are better than the average male population in the same studies so if our game is so dangerous and conussions have these long term effects, why are NFL players [healthier] than the average male population?"

So it sounds to me like the movie is inflammatory and Tom Wassell, even after getting straight information from a 10 year NFL player, refers back to the movie "It's scary" and says he will never get near a football field or his kids near one if he ever has any.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ivotuk":2qgtoyeu said:
I have the utmost respect for Heath Evans, even though he irritates me sometimes with his (now rarer and rarer) anti-Seahawks comments. But I have to give him props for being honest and my respect grew even more after what he said about Manziel.

We try to keep threads on topic in these forums, but Heath covers a couple of topics (Seahawks and the other Playoff teams, Manziel, Concussions or the validity of the movie Concussion [I see it as inflammatory]), so feel free to discuss any one of them in this thread, or to make a new thread that you would prefer to focus/discuss just a single topic from this podcast.

http://collegespun.com/sec/texas-am/vid ... reer-games

Here's the podcast from yesterday with Heath Evans, and they also "eavesdrop" on Richard Sherman:

Heath Evans of the NFL Network gives his take on Johnny Manziel, who the best playoff teams are, the effects of playing in cold weather games, and the impact Russell Wilson and Tyler Lockett could have on the game.

In "The Eavesdrop" we listen to Richard Sherman in his press conference today.

Plus, Bob and Tom give us their "Parting Shots"

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... 0and%20Tom

Heath Evans on concussions and the movie Concussion:

"I've challenged Troy Vincent and Roger Goodell to let me be the mouothpiece on fighting this battle, because will the numbers support what that bullcrap movie said and what doctors who want their name and face recognized can prove it with real life people our numbers in the NFL for current and retired athletes early onset dementia, alzheimeres, suicide, depression, alcoholism our numbers are better than the average male population in the same studies so if our game is so dangerous and conussions have these long term effects, why are NFL players [healthier] than the average male population?"

So it sounds to me like the movie is inflammatory and Tom Wassell, even after getting straight information from a 10 year NFL player, refers back to the movie "It's scary" and says he will never get near a football field or his kids near one if he ever has any.

Like Wassell could ever sire a child that would be good enough to play in the NFL... I don't think he needs to worry too much.

kearly

Reaction score
Some people are susceptible to brain damage, others can take a ton of hits to the head and be just fine. We've seen some susceptible types like John Moffitt and Chris Borland retire very early.

Concussion prone players should be encouraged to retire early. And often, they do.

The whole issue feels overblown. It fits perfect with the new world we live in, where small issues are blown up big and the major issues in the world are skirted.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Evan's might have the general brain damage stats right with NFL players vs. the general public.

But no one can tell me ramming your head into another helmet, ground, knee, hip, shoulder, etc for a prolonged number of years doesn't have a negative effect on your brain.

We can discuss the significance, how long it takes, who it affects more than others, etc. But flat out saying CTE doesn't exist or isn't an issue with football players? I can't go there with Heath.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Get rid of helmets and you get rid of concussions overnight. Helmets are like guns, everyone says they are for protection but they are causing all the problems.

You see a fraction of the amount of concussions in Rugby which has little to no head protection but is arguably more violent and thats because players dont launch at each other like idiots.

HawkGA

Reaction score
kearly":1qcmdcfn said:
Some people are susceptible to brain damage, others can take a ton of hits to the head and be just fine. We've seen some susceptible types like John Moffitt and Chris Borland retire very early.

Concussion prone players should be encouraged to retire early. And often, they do.

The whole issue feels overblown. It fits perfect with the new world we live in, where small issues are blown up big and the major issues in the world are skirted.

This is one of the things I don't get about the "dangers of playing football." It's not like there aren't other dangerous jobs. People make choices all the time where they value today over tomorrow or risk their health or even their lives. Maybe football is a little more open to scorn because it is for entertainment purposes as opposed to some of the other reasons, but it doesn't make the players' choices any less voluntary. And they get paid really well.

HawkGA

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2o8kyry6 said:
Get rid of helmets and you get rid of concussions overnight. Helmets are like guns, everyone says they are for protection but they are causing all the problems.

You see a fraction of the amount of concussions in Rugby which has little to no head protection but is arguably more violent and thats because players dont launch at each other like idiots.

I think there is a lot to this. The "safer" equipment makes us engage in riskier behavior. This is a fairly common finding with people.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":38zvqkbb said:

You're right, but the dirty secret is the NFL LOVES the violence, it's what's made the NFL into the global multi billion dollar revenue generating machine that it is.

If the helmets went away, the speed of the game would slow down, the violent collisions that fans love would stop.........and that all equals less viewers and less revenue.

It's like smoking to me, it's 2015, everyone knows smoking is bad for you. So if you choose to smoke that's your health decision. Same with football players, all the data is there for them and their parents growing up to decide whether that's a career or sport they want to play.

I do feel sorry for guys who played 20-30 years ago who were called pussies for not going back into games after getting their "bell rung." THOSE guys deserve our sympathy and compensation from the NFL. Players today? They know the risk.

Latest posts