Seriously, Ron Rivera?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
"I don't get it,'' Rivera told reporters Friday. "I really don't. It's funny. At one point you've got a 14-game winning streak and people doubt you, then you lose one game and people doubt you even more.

"I think we crashed the party,'' Rivera said. "People were expecting us to be 8-8, 9-7, I guess. It took people a long time to pay attention to us.

"I don't think we were fairly treated by some other people. People made statements about who we are, and they have no idea about who we really are.''

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/46 ... buccaneers

Apparently this dude reads the press and and gets butthurt.

Erebus

Reaction score
No need for him to publicly wear his heart on his sleeve about it. Keep the feelings in house and use it as motivation.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He is trying to play the nobody respects us card with his team. Young guys who have never been to the mountain top will eat it up. It will make him look thin skinned on the surface, but he is trying to combat any complacency with a team that has little to play for at the end of a long season.

The Panthers are guaranteed a week off coming up. He has 53 guys he has to stop from thinking about that until the game is over Sunday. If he has to look sensitive to the press, so be it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yep.

IMO this is an incredibly milquetoast version of everything the Seahawks were saying back in 2012 and 2013.

C'mon guys. :lol:

Players, like fans, love to trot out the victim complex and the Rodney Dangerfield "no respect" card both to keep themselves motivated and because it's a self-serving way to re-frame their ability and accomplishments as even MORE impressive than they already are. I mean, people on this very board were even talking this talk about the Hawks as recently as eight days ago. ;)

I seriously don't see anything wrong with this, now would I have anything wrong with it coming from the Cardinals either (who everyone said were overrated after last season), or from Hawks fans after their nice little run after a slow start to the season.

I think it's silly, narcissistic, and ultimately self-serving, but not even remotely atypical or a big deal.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":48bxyde0 said:
^^^ Yep.

IMO this is an incredibly milquetoast version of everything the Seahawks were saying back in 2012 and 2013.

C'mon guys. :lol:

Players, like fans, love to trot out the victim complex and the Rodney Dangerfield "no respect" card both to keep themselves motivated and because it's a self-serving way to re-frame their ability and accomplishments as even MORE impressive than they already are. I mean, people on this very board were even talking this talk about the Hawks as recently as eight days ago. ;)

I seriously don't see anything wrong with this, now would I have anything wrong with it coming from the Cardinals either (who everyone said were overrated after last season), or from Hawks fans after their nice little run after a slow start to the season.

I think it's silly, narcissistic, and ultimately self-serving, but not even remotely atypical or a big deal.
Yep, agree with both you and Scott.

OP
OP
bmorepunk

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I understand it from fans (although I don't participate in this) and have seen it with players (Baldwin being the most silly about it as a Seahawk).

But seeing a coach do it is a bit odd. I don't remember Carroll making a big deal out of something like this, and I can't remember any coach who had a lot of success doing this. The angle that it's a ploy makes sense, but I can't really gauge how much of it is trying to push the motivation and how much of it is him actually annoyed that they don't "get credit".

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Good point about coaches.

That said, if you look at how his answer starts "I don't get it,I really don't" this really looks like he got primed by the question and basically made the mistake of actually answering it.

Reporter asks something like: "Can you talk about people not believing in your team and from your record you guys not getting the respect you deserve before the season started?"

In response to a question like this Rivera basically has two options: 1) Say what he said, or 2) (the smart one) something along the lines of boilerplate nonsense sports-speak: "I don't think about that stuff, we just focus on what we think inside the building."

Then of course, because he answered the question as it was set up, he gets punished for it in the media, which is basically why we always get BS answers like #2 above.

This is all speculation of course, but to start his answer with "I don't get it" means that the reporter didn't even ask him if he thought the team is disrespected or not, but instead, forwarded that the team IS disrespected and asked him to speak on it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
How is this any different than what Sherman and Baldwin have been saying the past 2-3 years? Only real difference is coach vs player. I could care less about his comments.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I still doubt them. Their QB has Kaepernick-like numbers and is an MVP candidate because the Panthers have beaten a slew of sub .500 teams. During their first loss, that same QB acted like a spoiled brat...some MVP. If they can win in the playoffs, they will earn the respect they crave...beating the AFC South and the NFC South in this regular season won't. What a puff schedule. That schedule makes last year's cards schedule look tough.

Latest posts