ESPN is in trouble, dragging Disney down with it

hawknation2015

Reaction score
In a report titled “Even the Force Cannot Protect ESPN,” he argues that Disney’s successful film business, which includes Pixar, has distracted investors from an impending slowdown at ESPN as viewers cancel their cable subscriptions (the “cord cutters”) or never sign up for cable to begin with (the “cord nevers”).

“Investors must remember that at its core, Disney is a cable network company that has the highest level of fixed costs (sports rights) in the industry,” he wrote. “ESPN now appears poised to become Disney’s most troubled business as consumer behavior shifts rapidly.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/busin ... dling.html

chris98251

Reaction score
Disney killed ESPN, they got rid of the personalities and the controversial shows that called out topics and watered everything down to the NFL Network 2.0.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ESPN sucks. It didn't always, but it is a shit show now.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I concur, I can't remember the last time I watched ESPN for more than 15 minutes. There's so many other channels and shows on TV that are better. Obviously a matter of opinion, however they still have Monday night football?..... I guess.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Their product does suck. And the fact they are pretty much taking all the real games on the NCAA level means that series is gonna pretty much suck too. Poor Football. Because of money, they are gonna suck too.

Subzero717

Reaction score
ESPN is the TMZ of sports. Total sensationalizing of hot garbage on a constant loop. On top of that running off their best talent and replacing it with more hot garbage.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Media market is extremely competitive business. Everyone is feeling the squeeze. ESPN needs to adapt and constantly re-invent themselves, like everyone else.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ESPN has some good writers, but I will NEVER forgive them for Terry Blount.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Ignoring their type of programming for the moment. They just need to be more dynamic in how they provide their content. People are leaving cable because they don't like the cable companies, not because of specific content. If they do a better job selling directly to those who want to cut the cable cord, then they are shifting with the consumers. Tying their model down to cable providers chains them to the old.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Try this:

Ask me my opinion on Disney right now.

Then, ask one of the StL Rams' posters who frequents here the same question.

:D :D :D :D

Latest posts