Is Charles Woodson a first-ballot HoFer? (Retiring)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RAIDERS/status/679114484573593600[/tweet]

Woodson announced that this season -- his 18th -- will be his last. He is a seven-time All-Pro, was named Defensive Player of the Year in 2009, and was named Defensive Rookie of the Year with the Raiders in 1998.

Woodson is expected to be named to his 9th Pro Bowl after this season. This is his 9th season with 4+ INTs and 50+ tackles. Woodson twice led the NFL in INTs and is the only player in NFL history to have at least 50 INTs and 20 sacks. Starting and ending his career with the Raiders, he won his only Super Bowl with Green Bay in 2011.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
He'd get my vote.

He's all that's left from the '98 draft along with Hasselbeck and Peyton... time flies...

drrew

Reaction score
If he's not then something went horrible wrong.

Going back all the way to HS, his accolades include:

Mr Football - Ohio
HS All America
CFB National Champion
2x NCAA All America
Heisman Trophy
Walter Camp Award
Nagurski Award
Bednarik Award
Thorpe Award
Tatum Award
Super Bowl Champion
8x Pro Bowl
4x 1st team All Pro
3x 2nd team All Pro
2009 DPOY
1998 DROY
Only player in history w/50 int and 20 sacks

There can't be more than a small handful of players in history that have accomplished more than Charles Woodson did in his career. First ballot and it should be unanimous.

A

Anonymous

I think so too.

I hope he foregoes any analyst opportunities and gets into coaching. He'd be extremely good at it, IMO.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I think a better question would be why he shouldn't be a first ballot hall of famer. I think it's a safer bet that he will be first ballot.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Basis4day":3lrxmhli said:
I think a better question would be why he shouldn't be a first ballot hall of famer. I think it's a safer bet that he will be first ballot.

Cause . . . cause, he's a Raider?

:thraidersux:

DeeHawks

Reaction score
I think he's definitely first ballot HOF, without a doubt.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Basis4day":3q1uokbh said:

I think the more interesting question is, does he go into the HOF as a safety or a corner? He started as a corner, but he thrived as a safety as well and won a SB as a safety.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Absolutely he is. One of the best defensive players to ever play the game.

NINEster

Reaction score
There are no "teams" nor "positions" in the HOF.

I was at the HOF in January, and they either list you as generic DB/RB, or combination of positions you played, I forget. This is on the computer they have in the "bust room" (or whatever they call it). The busts just have the player's name and year of induction I believe.

Also you're simultaneously listed for all the teams you played for in that computer, but they do have asterisks if you played for one team primarily over others.

I had the same question goes for Ronnie Lott, and I didn't see a distinction for S or CB (but in my heart, I'd say S).

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He is no doubt.A true All-Pro..He used to return punts/kicks and scored that way but that was earlier days.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sorry I was off,he returned a lot of punts -No Tds..A few KO's-NoTds..He did catch passes/rush/PR for TDs at UMich.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I would certainly vote for him.

He has played at a very high level enough seasons, played multiple positions at a high level, and managed to play 19 seasons.

He's kind of like a poor-man's defensive version of Jerry Rice, except that Woodson is still playing at a high level at the end of his career.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I would say yes simply because of the length of his career. If he played 8 years not first ballot.