Prediction: #5 seed will host Conference Championship Game

Erebus

Reaction score
But it won't be the Seahawks. I'm talking about the Kansas City Chiefs. Yes I know it sounds crazy, but they have a good chance at being the first wild card team to ever to host a playoff game (if my research was accurate). Consider the following scenario:

If the Chiefs win out, they get the 5th seed (they own the tie breaker over the Steelers by a head-to-head victory). They close out the regular season with two home games against the Browns and Raiders. They will probably win both, which will give them the #5 seed (unless the Broncos also lose out, then the Chiefs win the division). The Broncos have a home game against Cincinnati which I expect them to win because Dalton is out. They also finish up with a home game against San Diego. If they win both of those, they get the #2 seed and the Bengals get the #3 seed. The Steelers are also likely to win out with games at Baltimore and at Cleveland. The Bengals need just one more win to clinch the division, which should happen with a home game against Baltimore in week 17. That leaves the following seeding:

1. Patriots
2. Broncos
3. Bengals
4. Texans (or Colts, doesn't matter)
5. Chiefs
6. Steelers

The Steelers would face the Bengals in round one and the Chiefs would face the AFC South winner (and probably win easily). The Steelers are on a roll now and I don't think the Bengals can keep up without Dalton. Both wild card teams should win that week.

The Steelers have the best shot of anyone at knocking out the Patriots. The Patriots are really banged up right now, with four offensive starters on IR. The Chiefs have already beat the Broncos once this year, and I think they can beat them in the Divisional round. Osweiler has no playoff experience and has been merely adequate. That leaves a matchup between two wild card teams, to be hosted by the Chiefs.

The biggest variable in this scenario, IMO, is the game between the Bengals and Broncos which should decide the #2 seed. If the Bengals win that game, the scenario changes slightly so that the Chiefs would play the Bengals in the Divisional round, but they should win that one too.