When was the last time...

Maulbert

Reaction score
..both wild card playoff spots were locked up in a conference by the end of week 15? If Seattle and Minnesota both win and Tampa Bay and Atlanta both lose and either Washington or New York lose, then the only playoff spot left will belong to the East champion. There would still be seeding issues, but the wild cards would definitely come out of the West and North if this happens, with a full 2 weeks left in the schedule.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/192116/2015-nfl-week-15-playoff-scenarios

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah it's a weird year. Parity seems to have been tossed out the window this year. Very atypical.

On the flip side of this Year of Disparity:

It's a good year to not be sucking. There are currently 3 teams with three wins, and 3 teams with 4. But it looks like there are 9 teams with a good shot and being 7-9. Not including the 10th and 11th who will likely win the AFCS and NFCE. Would be frustrating to be picking 20th and have the same record as the team picking 11th. Or be one game back of the #1 overall and be picking 7th.

Largent80

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":37cvxtdh said:
Attyla the Hawk":37cvxtdh said:
Yeah it's a weird year. Parity seems to have been tossed out the window this year. Very atypical.

On the flip side of this Year of Disparity:

It's a good year to not be sucking. There are currently 3 teams with three wins, and 3 teams with 4. But it looks like there are 9 teams with a good shot and being 7-9. Not including the 10th and 11th who will likely win the AFCS and NFCE. Would be frustrating to be picking 20th and have the same record as the team picking 11th. Or be one game back of the #1 overall and be picking 7th.

I would argue this is exactly what parity is...

That's what I am thinking.

Polaris

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":3u6yl0o7 said:
Redskins can lose and nothing happens

Not true. There are three teams in the NFC East at 6-7, but the Eagles play both Washington and the Giants. What that means is only two teams can end up 9-7 and in wildcard contention [assuming a Min+Sea win which seems VERY likely].

If Washington loses, then only one team can win the NFC East [Eagles or Giants] and that team will autowin the NFC East and all others will fall below the critical 9 win level for wildcard consideration. The same applies if the Giants lose.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm not seeing either Minnesota or Seattle winning less then 10 games even with the Seahawks possible issues with the running game. Both the defense and Wilson are playing too well to let that happen, let alone go 9-7.

Polaris

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3hhqz2o0 said:
I'm not seeing either Minnesota or Seattle winning less then 10 games even with the Seahawks possible issues with the running game. Both the defense and Wilson are playing too well to let that happen, let alone go 9-7.

I agree. I was merely pointing out that a Wash loss does matter. In fact, I'd be more worried if I were MIN than SEA. MIN has to face Chicago at home (which they *should* win), and then the Giants at home and while they should win that too, that game looks a lot dicier for the Vikes. Then it's off to the Frozen tundra and I fully expect the Vikings to lose that one since that game will almost surely decide the NFC North.

If Seattle wins their next two (and I think they will), Seattle doesn't care about the NFC East at all....at least prior to the playoffs.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
With the Bucs losing you have to figure 9 wins is enough now...

Polaris

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2u1nbyar said:

Almost certainly. Any single Washington or Giants loss from here out makes that official.

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
Polaris":w3dusztk said:
Uncle Si":w3dusztk said:

Almost certainly. Any single Washington or Giants loss from here out makes that official.
Unless Seattle loses

Rex

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":1nvqofgs said:
Polaris":1nvqofgs said:
Uncle Si":1nvqofgs said:

Unless Seattle loses

SWEEP!

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":13lk30ku said:
Polaris":13lk30ku said:
Uncle Si":13lk30ku said:

Unless Seattle loses
A Washington loss is meaningless this week.
A Seattle win or loss affects the entire conference.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":3n5lrff2 said:
Polaris":3n5lrff2 said:
Uncle Si":3n5lrff2 said:

Unless Seattle loses

You need to read the post he was replying to. The person said 9 wins should be enough with Tampa losing and he stated that a Giants loss or a Washington loss makes that official.

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2308af24 said:
ilikedlargent":2308af24 said:
Polaris":2308af24 said:
Uncle Si":2308af24 said:

Unless Seattle loses

You need to read the post he was replying to. The person said 9 wins should be enough with Tampa losing and he stated that a Giants loss or a Washington loss makes that official.

Washington can lose if Seattle loses and they don't lose any ground depending on division foes and the next 2 weeks.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":2ugtrz64 said:
bigtrain21":2ugtrz64 said:
ilikedlargent":2ugtrz64 said:
Polaris":2ugtrz64 said:
Uncle Si said:

Unless Seattle loses

Washington can lose if Seattle loses and they don't lose any ground depending on division foes and the next 2 weeks.

But the person was asking if 9 wins would win the WC for the Seahawks. You're talking about an entirely different scenario.

Polaris

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":1pp8g9xb said:
ilikedlargent":1pp8g9xb said:
Polaris":1pp8g9xb said:
Uncle Si":1pp8g9xb said:

Unless Seattle loses
A Washington loss is meaningless this week.
A Seattle win or loss affects the entire conference.

The statement was that 9 wins was enough. I said that a Washington or Giant's loss makes that official. How does Seattle winning or losing affect this? If Wash or the Giants lose, 9 wins will automatically get you in.

For what it's worth, if you really think Seattle is going to lose to Cleveland at home, I want some of what you're smoking and I'll leave it at that.

Polaris

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":1nnlcc9w said:

Even this isn't strictly true. You're right about the NFC East division, but we're talking about the wildcard. If Washington loses, they CAN NOT get the wildcard with 9 wins. The same applies to the Giants the other way.

The point here is that a Washington or Giants loss insures that no team in the NFC East can get to nine wins w/o winning the division (and taking them out of the wildcard rest). So a Washington loss does matter....for the entire conference.

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
Polaris":1emv92it said:
ilikedlargent":1emv92it said:

Even this isn't strictly true. You're right about the NFC East division, but we're talking about the wildcard. If Washington loses, they CAN NOT get the wildcard with 9 wins. The same applies to the Giants the other way.

The point here is that a Washington or Giants loss insures that no team in the NFC East can get to nine wins w/o winning the division (and taking them out of the wildcard rest). So a Washington loss does matter....for the entire conference.

I dont disagree. I just thought someone was eliminating them all together.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":1nz0n5u9 said:
Polaris":1nz0n5u9 said:
ilikedlargent":1nz0n5u9 said:

I dont disagree. I just thought someone was eliminating them all together.

Why do some people comment without reading the original post?

Maulbert":1nz0n5u9 said:
..both wild card playoff spots were locked up in a conference by the end of week 15? If Seattle and Minnesota both win and Tampa Bay and Atlanta both lose and either Washington or New York lose, then the only playoff spot left will belong to the East champion. There would still be seeding issues, but the wild cards would definitely come out of the West and North if this happens, with a full 2 weeks left in the schedule.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... -scenarios

Latest posts