How Bad Is The NFL Right Now?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Going into week 11, there were only 11 teams with winning records. 21 teams had records below .500 going into this weekend.

The AFC South leader is tied between the 5-5 Texans and the 5-5 Colts. Not far behind are the 4-6 Jaguars.

The NFC East isn't much better, the 5-5 Giants hold the lead with the 4-6 Eagles not far behind. And as horrible as the Cowboys were without Romo, they have to like their chances with him back even though they are 3-7.

The Seahawks look like the front runner for the final WC spot with a 5-5 record. Most years at 5-5 your season would be finished. Basically every NFL WC contender is .500 or below. Yes, even Tampa Bay has playoff aspirations at 5-5.

I know the Panthers, Bengals, Pats, and Cards are good teams, but I think their records may be more of an indication of how weak the competition in the NFL is right now than how good they are. The Panthers are good, but not 10-0 good.

What a weird year for football.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":36t61ax1 said:
Going into week 11, there were only 11 teams with winning records. 21 teams had records below .500 going into this weekend.

The AFC South leader is tied between the 5-5 Texans and the 5-5 Colts. Not far behind are the 4-6 Jaguars.

The NFC East isn't much better, the 5-5 Giants hold the lead with the 4-6 Eagles not far behind. And as horrible as the Cowboys were without Romo, they have to like their chances with him back even though they are 3-7.

The Seahawks look like the front runner for the final WC spot with a 5-5 record. Most years at 5-5 your season would be finished. Basically every NFL WC contender is .500 or below. Yes, even Tampa Bay has playoff aspirations at 5-5.

I know the Panthers, Bengals, Pats, and Cards are good teams, but I think their records may be more of an indication of how weak the competition in the NFL is right now than how good they are. The Panthers are good, but not 10-0 good.

Agree. There is no part of me that buys into the Panthers at 10-0. Although, yes, they did beat us, I would be licking my chops at playing them in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think this year is more wide open than any year in the NFL. In past years there were dominant teams who you would not want to face in the playoffs. I don't really see that team this year. I don't think anyone is afraid to go to Cincinnati, Arizona or Carolina for a playoff game.

This could be the year we see a wildcard team make it to the SB :D

ringless

Reaction score
Really hoping to see TB take a WC spot lol

For several reasons

ctrcat

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":v08sxwfs said:
Hawk-Lock":v08sxwfs said:

Agree. There is no part of me that buys into the Panthers at 10-0. Although, yes, they did beat us, I would be licking my chops at playing them in the playoffs.

There have only been 16 teams in the 50 year Super Bowl Era to start 10-0. Neither the Titans nor Redskins took a single snap inside of the redzone against the Panthers. Their scores came off of a KO return and blown coverage. The eventual return of Charles Johnson can't be overstated, and quite frankly no one knows what to expect, because with the return of Kuechly, Thompson, Lotulelei, Tillman, the acqusition of Allen (who also missed the Hawks game), et al from injuries, they haven't all been on the field together at the same time. Injuries, such as Lotulelei for the playoff game, are obviously part of the game and are the unknown, but I'm simply saying the 2015 Panthers haven't been as good on paper as they will be on paper.

Funchess, who was only 20 years old when drafted, looks better by the week, and now like the 1st round talent they thought. Benjamin was a full three years older last year from the start. The offense has experienced short and long term injuries as well and keeps on ticking regardless. Starters Norwell and Brown missed yesterday but should be back Thursday.

This isn't a "you must buy in" or "you better be shaking in your boots or else" post. Hell, I'd rather play the Bucs than the Hawks in the playoffs too. Just bringing some facts and perspective.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
ctrcat":1r2ar7n7 said:
SeaToTheHawks":1r2ar7n7 said:
Hawk-Lock":1r2ar7n7 said:

There have only been 16 teams in the 50 year Super Bowl Era to start 10-0. Neither the Titans nor Redskins took a single snap inside of the redzone against the Panthers. Their scores came off of a KO return and blown coverage. The eventual return of Charles Johnson can't be overstated, and quite frankly no one knows what to expect, because with the return of Kuechly, Thompson, Lotulelei, Tillman, the acqusition of Allen (who also missed the Hawks game), et al from injuries, they haven't all been on the field together at the same time. Injuries, such as Lotulelei for the playoff game, are obviously part of the game and are the unknown, but I'm simply saying the 2015 Panthers haven't been as good on paper as they will be on paper.

Funchess, who was only 20 years old when drafted, looks better by the week, and now like the 1st round talent they thought. Benjamin was a full three years older last year from the start. The offense has experienced short and long term injuries as well and keeps on ticking regardless. Starters Norwell and Brown missed yesterday but should be back Thursday.

This isn't a "you must buy in" or "you better be shaking in your boots or else" post. Hell, I'd rather play the Bucs than the Hawks in the playoffs too. Just bringing some facts and perspective.

Don't get me wrong, the Panthers are good. But they are not 10-0 good. They're more like 8-2/7-3 good. I mean just look at their schedule, the only team they've beaten with a winning record is the Packers.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
To those who continue to "blame" the Panthers for being 10:0, they have won 14 straight regular season games in the NFL dating back from last year.

Try winning 14 straight games ...in the NFL. And they have beaten some really good teams along the way.
Ron Rivera is probably the most underrated coach in the NFL.
A couple of years ago, the whole league used to make fun of this guy, because he wasn't a big name or a college guy...
I'm rooting for the Panthers, if the Hawks don't win it all.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
joeseahawks":zofpobru said:
To those who continue to "blame" the Panthers for being 10:0, they have won 14 straight regular season games in the NFL dating back from last year.

Try winning 14 straight games ...in the NFL. And they have beaten some really good teams along the way.
A couple of years ago, the whole league used to make fun of this guy, because he wasn't a big name or a college guy...

Like I said earlier. The Panthers are a really good team. Easily top 3 in the NFL right now. But who have they really played? They played the Packers at home, a lot of good teams are capable of beating the Pack at home. The Pack are the only team with a winning record they have beaten. Obviously Carolina can't control their schedule, but the critics will always be out on them until Cam proves he can win in the playoffs. Same goes for Dalton and the Bengals.

I do think the Panthers are the best team in the NFC right now. I just think their 10-0 record is very indicative of how bad the rest of the NFL is.

ctrcat

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3jp29ltw said:

Most Panther fans wanted Rivera gone after he was 2-14 in one score games. Panther fans were lucky to have an owner who played the game and understood how stupid that would be, unlike the owner in Atlanta who hasn't a clue and came out with his "win now or else" splel before the season.

chris98251

Reaction score
The NFL is trying to be PC and all safety aware, that's kind of like giving Gladiators foam swords and using fake blood. You start to lose the audience and the product is a joke. I think they should just take away replay, expand rosters, and pull players that suffer hits that appear to have any type of trauma to the head for evaluation, no question no maybe, no judgement, automatic and have a screening there.

Competitors don't leave games if they think they can be ok, well guys with a concussion are not in their right mind to think that now are they?

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
chris98251":vm8hzqic said:
The NFL is trying to be PC and all safety aware, that's kind of like giving Gladiators foam swords and using fake blood. You start to lose the audience and the product is a joke. I think they should just take away replay, expand rosters, and pull players that suffer hits that appear to have any type of trauma to the head for evaluation, no question no maybe, no judgement, automatic and have a screening there.

Competitors don't leave games if they think they can be ok, well guys with a concussion are not in their right mind to think that now are they?

What does this have to do with the threads topic?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2jre119v said:

That is really strange that this late in the year there's only 11 teams with winning records. Although at the end of the year obviously the total wins of all the teams will equal the total losses. But that is an odd distribution-indicative of lots of bad teams, a few really good teams and lots of mediocrity. Maybe with the NFL's goal of parity, this is the ultimate unwanted result-loads of average with everybody canceling each other out.

Perhaps more than any other pro sport, in the NFL, teams can go from bad to good and vice versa in a single year. And next year it'll be different again. I wonder if this is what the NFL really wants.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":38toc0cj said:
chris98251":38toc0cj said:

What does this have to do with the threads topic?

I can't paint by numbers here since Anguish has not developed that yet, but the officials not being trusted to do the job by having everything replayed, the errors of being able to be concussed or not concussed with coach's not being held accountable for dirty plays as well as leaving players in that should be at least pulled to test. The face of the NFL saying they are all about safety and player well being but allow all this. The rule book that is so thick and confusing that everyone is having problems with it. Trying to over regulate the game rather then the rules of the game and not having shades of gray such as what's a catch. The momentum killer of a replay seemingly on every good drive in critical times.

The inconsistent calls of holding on the Offensive and defensive lines, the inconsistent calls for illegal contact, holding and offensive and defensive pass interference, they protection of some QB's while others are ok to target practice on.

Is that falling into "How Bad is the NFL Right Now" topic?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":l4s7wovk said:
Hawk-Lock":l4s7wovk said:

That is really strange that this late in the year there's only 11 teams with winning records. Although at the end of the year obviously the total wins of all the teams will equal the total losses. But that is an odd distribution-indicative of lots of bad teams, a few really good teams and lots of mediocrity. Maybe with the NFL's goal of parity, this is the ultimate unwanted result-loads of average with everybody canceling each other out.

Perhaps more than any other pro sport, in the NFL, teams can go from bad to good and vice versa in a single year. And next year it'll be different again. I wonder if this is what the NFL really wants.

To generate more financial backing from the populace, they need parity to make a single team not so dominant. THey can do this in many different ways. Reffing, financial controls (salary Cap), and safety protocols. Whether they use these things to generate financial gain is to be determined. But if one team wins it all the time, then the other teams fan bases will fall off and become extinct. I see the future of the NFL to be more like WWE....and it is closer to NFLE than I think.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Not really.

One only has to look at the NFL's actions to realize that they believe the American market for football is tapped out.

Superstar teams and superstar players are what generate new fans. Not parity. Parity is probably against their interest in international fan acquisition. That new fans are acquired to anything by expanding the amorphous and average middle just doesn't make any sense.

I also don't see the WWE comparison AT ALL.

As for parity in the NFL, even if you hold all parity inducing devices (e.g. salary caps, draft sequencing, etc.) constant, the NFL will always have more parity than all other major professional sports.

it's simply a function of the short season. A mediocre baseball or basketball team can go on a good sixteen game run and will still regress to the mean by the end of the year. In the NFL that mediocre team can end up with the best record in the NFL.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Tag team championship of the world. When it is only in the United states....yes I can see this.

Soccer is a team sport that is not generating as much buzz, but has the potential to do so. More the physical aspect of the sport and the teamwork necessary to the sport, then the generation of superstars. Yes...most people know about Pele'.

Rugby is strong as a sport but too hard to replicate in this country as it is too harsh and can not be controlled like Football USA can.

I referred to WWE as a controlled aspect to generate funds for the single team aspect, not the totalitarian state of the Wrestling program. It is more a controlled aspect game that is for ENTERTAINMENT only. It is not for the benefit of seeing who or which team is the best in quality as a team sport. Can that team show that it can handle both offensive side of the ball and defensive side of the ball with the controls enforced by the rules committee that changes the rules to benefit one group over another. Equality is hopefully the design to be the norm.

Financial gain is when they produce a product that people will leave their homes to go enjoy. Parity may provide that one spark that will gain another fan to go watch that team play. As you said, a single player that is hyped up can and will generate desire to go see their performance. Andrew (the Neckbeard) Luck Hype as an example.

Just some thoughts that I had been thinking on since the Cincy game that I went to. I know it is a month ago but seemed to fit this conversation more than any other.

Have a great week.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If the playoffs started today, both the Chiefs and Texans would be the AFC Wild Cards. At one point the Chiefs were 1-5 and the Texans were 2-5. Yes, the NFL is still bad.

London12

Reaction score
You look at football across Europe and apart from in England this year, all of the leagues are settled before they play. As someone who started out with that, I love the uncertainty and unpredictability of the NFL.

retro74

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":7ouxjsym said:
If the playoffs started today, both the Chiefs and Texans would be the AFC Wild Cards. At one point the Chiefs were 1-5 and the Texans were 2-5. Yes, the NFL is still bad.

Chiefs look like a reasonable side, they may finish with 10 wins

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":jgkdkox1 said:

They'll never do it because of TV ratings, but the NFL should have a rule that no one with a .500 record or less gets into the playoffs even if they are the division champion. Somebody gets in who is lousy and one-and-done while another team in another division with a better record sits home. That happened to someone a couple years ago. We're not the NHL for crissakes.