Peyton seems grumpy...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I was pretty grumpy too when I realized my football career was over after getting blown out by lake oswego high school in the last game of my senior season, so I can empathize with him.

OP
OP
minormillikin

minormillikin

Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely don't blame him.

Did you see when he broke the passing yardage record in the last game how annoyed he was? After making a dinky little sideline pass that happened to be the few yards he needed, he was mad about something that happened in the play (or maybe be just hurt), then the big announcement comes over the PA. He waved to the crowd and managed to crack a flat smile, but he was clearly in no mood for dog and pony shows.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't get the hate that Peyton gets (not talking about this thread, just in general). He's been a great player for a long time and seems to do it the right way both on and off the field. I don't understand why so many ripple dislike him.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1r7eeqld said:
I don't get the hate that Peyton gets (not talking about this thread, just in general). He's been a great player for a long time and seems to do it the right way both on and off the field. I don't understand why so many ripple dislike him.

Here's what's to hate.

11-13 in the playoffs
9 times has his teams gone one and done in the playoffs. NINE TIMES!

He can break all the records he wants in the NFL, but all that matters is the postseason, and he is a below average QB in the postseason. He might be the greatest of all time regular season QB, but he is one of the worst when it comes to the postseason. Lest not forget SB48 either. :D

Rob12

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3ll14epj said:

If it's true that he's not willing to help a young QB succeed for his team, that's pretty bad.

At some point you need to set your pride aside. Essentially, by not helping Brock Osweiler, he's not only being a bad teammate to a young QB that could really use his help, but he's hindering his team. That's not a team guy. That's a guy that has been spoiled by success and is now acting like a baby because things aren't going his way.

OP
OP
minormillikin

minormillikin

Reaction score
Part of the reason I posted this was the source of the article. It's from Boston, and seems like professional trolling.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":m2xnudte said:
My hate came from him snubbing his nose at Seattle and not even coming for a visit. So we draft Russ and beat the guy that wouldn't even consider playing here.

NINEster

Reaction score
Rob12":1srq2fmi said:
JSeahawks":1srq2fmi said:

If it's true that he's not willing to help a young QB succeed for his team, that's pretty bad.

At some point you need to set your pride aside. Essentially, by not helping Brock Osweiler, he's not only being a bad teammate to a young QB that could really use his help, but he's hindering his team. That's not a team guy. That's a guy that has been spoiled by success and is now acting like a baby because things aren't going his way.

Alex Smith HELPED Colin Kaepernick out even while being disappointed for losing his job.......

A QB who never got a 1/1000th of the acclaim of the golden boy (and never will) still found the class inside of him to help out a man who got the starting job because he flashed in one good game, as opposed to laying a 5/20, 35 yard, 4 INT stinker.

Love hearing this......always rooted against Manning, and this just makes it easier.

Petulant f'n child. :mrgreen:

NINEster

Reaction score
Rob12":210phs6d said:
Peyton doesn't get a pass. He's being a terrible teammate.

I'm glad we can find common ground on here. :thirishdrinkers:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
He's arguably one of the least clutch QBs. Dude is a bonafide loser in the playoffs.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":32v834tm said:
Rob12":32v834tm said:
JSeahawks":32v834tm said:

Alex Smith HELPED Colin Kaepernick out even while being disappointed for losing his job.......

A QB who never got a 1/1000th of the acclaim of the golden boy (and never will) still found the class inside of him to help out a man who got the starting job because he flashed in one good game, as opposed to laying a 5/20, 35 yard, 4 INT stinker.

Love hearing this......always rooted against Manning, and this just makes it easier.

Petulant f'n child. :mrgreen:

Alex helping Kaepernick really worked out well...now if Alex could only help himself to not suck as much as he does.

kobebryant

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2evl69vu said:

I'll try to address this, at least from my perspective. Hate is a strong word, and I do not hate him.

But, in general, I tend to strongly dislike athletes who put up great numbers in the regular season then wilt and fail to show up in the playoffs and other big games. I do however like his personality, but overall I am not a fan. Up until very recently it has always seemed to me like he has had the media in his pocket and that there was some sort of 'can't critique Peyton' rule out there. I also didn't like how he essentially threw Demaryious Thomas and Wes Welker in front of oncoming trains KJ and Kam in the Super Bowl.

And to top it off, I guess it just annoys me a bit that Cam Newton doesn't seem to be allowed to shed the perception of himself from college and the stolen laptop, while Peyton skated on on his sexual harassment stuff from Knoxville almost immediately.

And when a teammate had the gall to critique him, he responded like a sensitive child; even though Vanderjagt wasn't really wrong.

Recently, they've damn well made sure to massage the message to make sure everyone knows how hurt Peyton is and not allow this to come across as a benching. Whereas Russ won a Super Bowl with a bum shoulder that was never mentioned, Rodgers isn't playing well right now but he's gonna try to hide the injury the best he can and not make excuses, Luck played crappy this season but it took a lacerated spleen before it was really accepted how hurt he's been and his team in fact tried to hide the injury.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1mf3aqbo said:
Ditto. I don't get it.

For a guy who has had such a long career, I dont remember him doing things the wrong way on the field or off it.

He has been a hardworking guy whose body has taken a serious beating and he has been incredibly consistent in his regular season success. Is he a bad person because he chokes in the playoffs?

Manning hasn't even played on one of our recent rivals, and the greatest game in Seahawks history involved BEATING HIM so it's not like he has stopped us from winning a championship.

People need to ask themselves, if Kaep and Rapistburger and Vick and Ray Rice and Hardy represent things you hate about NFL players then what qualities would you LIKE players to represent? Which players represent those qualities?

Hardwork, teamwork, honor, integrity, and sportsmanship. Those are the qualities I like to see players represent.

Which one of those qualities do the Manning-haters feel he has failed to show?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
kobebryant":2rh11vds said:
JSeahawks":2rh11vds said:

I'll try to address this, at least from my perspective. Hate is a strong word, and I do not hate him.

But, in general, I tend to strongly dislike athletes who put up great numbers in the regular season then wilt and fail to show up in the playoffs and other big games. I do however like his personality, but overall I am not a fan. Up until very recently it has always seemed to me like he has had the media in his pocket and that there was some sort of 'can't critique Peyton' rule out there. I also didn't like how he essentially threw Demaryious Thomas and Wes Welker in front of oncoming trains KJ and Kam in the Super Bowl.

And to top it off, I guess it just annoys me a bit that Cam Newton doesn't seem to be allowed to shed the perception of himself from college and the stolen laptop, while Peyton skated on on his sexual harassment stuff from Knoxville almost immediately.

And when a teammate had the gall to critique him, he responded like a sensitive child; even though Vanderjagt wasn't really wrong.

Recently, they've damn well made sure to massage the message to make sure everyone knows how hurt Peyton is and not allow this to come across as a benching. Whereas Russ won a Super Bowl with a bum shoulder that was never mentioned, Rodgers isn't playing well right now but he's gonna try to hide the injury the best he can and not make excuses, Luck played crappy this season but it took a lacerated spleen before it was really accepted how hurt he's been and his team in fact tried to hide the injury.
So he chokes in the playoffs. That makes him a bad guy?

Unless he repeatedly choked while on your favorite team why should it matter?

He had tremendous success in many many regular seasons, and has choked in the playoffs many many times. That's purely a performance/results issue.

If Manning isn't someone you can respect then you might as well stop watching NFL because he is one of the most respectable players currently playing. There has been plenty of time for a "bad Manning" to rear his ugly 5-head and yet after all these years he's still a good guy.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think we are getting things mixed up here. Off the field he is a nice guy, I have nothing against him. If anything, he is probably one of the more stand-up guys. I think why most people dislike Peyton is because he is viewed as overrated. People put him in the conversation of greatest QB ever, yet he is 11-13 in the playoffs, going one-and-done nine times.

Peyton is the opposite of his brother. Eli is usually shit in the regular season, but on fire in the playoffs.

If I need to pick a Manning for one big game, give me Eli.

kobebryant

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1gvth1cy said:
kobebryant":1gvth1cy said:
JSeahawks":1gvth1cy said:

So he chokes in the playoffs. That makes him a bad guy?

Unless he repeatedly choked while on your favorite team why should it matter?

He had tremendous success in many many regular seasons, and has choked in the playoffs many many times. That's purely a performance/results issue.

If Manning isn't someone you can respect then you might as well stop watching NFL because he is one of the most respectable players currently playing. There has been plenty of time for a "bad Manning" to rear his ugly 5-head and yet after all these years he's still a good guy.

I prefaced by saying that I don't hate him, as hate is too strong of a word. I also said that I like his personality. And nowhere did I say that his poor playoff performances make him a bad guy.

I just don't like him as a player, largely because he doesn't show up in the clutch.

I don't know enough about any pro athlete as a person to base my fandom upon 'good person' vs 'bad person'. What is far easier to quantify, and therefore form my fandom around, is their performance, and subjectively if I enjoy how they play.

I like Tom Brady and Marshawn Lynch both because of their clutch performance, "not giving a damn about authority" attitudes, and leadership qualities. I don't know either guy personally and therefore it would be unfair and irrelevant for me to try to compare how they are as people in comparison to Peyton Manning. What I do know, is that I would rather go to battle on gamedays with those over Manning every time.

ringless

Reaction score
So where does Peyton end up next season?

I am sure someone will be willing to take a chance on him. Maybe a team with a strong defense that is severely lacking at the QB position.

But I think he's played his last game in Denver for sure and I think it should have happened earlier.