PFF Top Guards through week 6

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Should've signed Mathis or targeted Iupati. Iupati is a big reason why Arizona offense has taken off this year.

I'm over the Sweezy love - he only does one thing well - and when he gets beat, he gets beat. Britt's probably among the worst Guards in the league, if not Sweezy as well.

I'm done with Cable's kool-aid about our Guards. We may very well have the worst Guard tandem in the league right now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We also drafted Britt nearly 20 spots ahead of Gabe Jackson.

:34853_doh:

Fade

Reaction score
DavidSeven":27v8jac8 said:

Spending high picks on the O-Line won't fix it either go forward.

Just more James Carpenters, John Moffitts, and Justin Britts.

I would much prefer taking flyers on late round guys, and make due with what you got. Not ideal, but Cable gonna Cable.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Fade":9aiu1udh said:
DavidSeven":9aiu1udh said:

I would much prefer taking flyers on late round guys, and make due with what you got. Not ideal, but Cable gonna Cable.

The early round guys and the late round guys have all been terrible to some degree in the Cable era. So yeah, I guess losing a 7th for a weak lineman is better than losing a 2nd, but Seattle has had its opportunity to grab good players early in the draft and have missed.

We can't keep relying on projects or Cable's draft evals. If we can't evaluate the position at all, we need to extend ourselves into free agency and acquire proven commodities.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sweezy has proven this year that he has hit his ceiling. Human turnstile.

Also not buying into the Cableaid.

massari

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1e5lvygt said:
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/655026888688193540

We didn't crack the top 32. Could have had Incognito and Mathis so easy it makes me sick.

Free Agents they got:

Cary Williams(7M)
Kearse(2.36M)
=9.36M

Free Agents they could've got:

CB-Charles Tillman(2M) or Alan Ball(3M)
RT-Barksdale(2M)
G-Incognito(1.1M)
C-Wisniwski(2.5M)
G-Mathis(3M)
=10.6M

Yes Williams has about a 4.6M cap hit this year but he'll likely be cut after the season which means 2.3M in dead money against the cap next year. They could've used that money towards some of the players I listed above.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
massari":1ohttx0h said:
TheRealDTM":1ohttx0h said:
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/655026888688193540

We didn't crack the top 32. Could have had Incognito and Mathis so easy it makes me sick.

Free Agents they got:

Cary Williams(7M)
Kearse(2.36M)
=9.35M

Free Agents they could've got:

CB-Charles Tillman or Alan Ball(2M)
RT-Barksdale(2M)
G-Incognito(1.1M)
C-Wisniwski(2.5M)
G-Mathis(3M)
=10.5M

Yeh but if we'd got rid of Kearse we probably never would have received that sweet 2017 conditional 7th for Kevin Norwood.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1pn5q5fb said:
Should've signed Mathis or targeted Iupati. Iupati is a big reason why Arizona offense has taken off this year.

He missed the first three weeks when they went 3-0, played the last two weeks when they went 1-1, and is questionable to play this week due to his chronic back problems.

Not that the Hawks could have afforded him, but they don't need a dominant run blocker who can't pass block anyway IMO.

I really like Iupati, but he's way overpaid IMO.

ARhawk

Reaction score
Carpenter is on that list as well. Granted he's playing in a scheme that fits his strengths.

massari

Reaction score
ARhawk":22xmrcdx said:
Carpenter is on that list as well. Granted he's playing in a scheme that fits his strengths.

He's slightly overpaid, so I'm glad they didn't re-sign him.

gmor

Reaction score
Fade":dahh19ug said:
DavidSeven":dahh19ug said:

Cable does better at coaching linemen that picking them in the draft. We might want to start looking at that angle.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The offensive line has been getting better every week. These guys have played together for six games and a few snaps in the last preseason game. The Seahawks made three changes late in preseason because what they had wasn't going to work. I don't think that the offensive line would be a lot better with free agents because they too would be working with a new group of guys. Just look at all the highly rated lines and you'll see continuity in almost all of them. When we get to a point where the line fails to show improvement, that will be the time to panic. Until then, ride the coarse and deal with it.

The offensive line is highly synchronized and the guys have to learn the moves TOGETHER to make it work. Show me a synchronized sport where the people involved have only been together for nine weeks that looks very synchronized.

The players chosen to man the spots on the offensive line are athletic, explosive and young. Imagine how good those guys will be after they learn to play together. They have more athletic ability than any line we have ever seen in Seattle. These guys might turn out pretty well, only time will tell. I think they'll be pretty good...eventually.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ARhawk":23xz99fj said:

I misread that as "Cooper" (as in Jonathan Cooper) and almost spit out my coffee.

It's one thing to generally neglect the O-line and get what you've put in, but it's another thing entirely to start selling of plots of the farm for it for practically nothing in return.

The Cards had to make Iupati the highest paid guard in football because of the total flameout of Cooper (#7 overall pick three years ago), and Humphries (their first round pick this year) I don't think is even on the active 46 (Ringless?).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
rideaducati":308dz5f4 said:
The offensive line has been getting better every week. These guys have played together for six games and a few snaps in the last preseason game. The Seahawks made three changes late in preseason because what they had wasn't going to work. I don't think that the offensive line would be a lot better with free agents because they too would be working with a new group of guys. Just look at all the highly rated lines and you'll see continuity in almost all of them. When we get to a point where the line fails to show improvement, that will be the time to panic. Until then, ride the coarse and deal with it.

The offensive line is highly synchronized and the guys have to learn the moves TOGETHER to make it work. Show me a synchronized sport where the people involved have only been together for nine weeks that looks very synchronized.

The players chosen to man the spots on the offensive line are athletic, explosive and young. Imagine how good those guys will be after they learn to play together. They have more athletic ability than any line we have ever seen in Seattle. These guys might turn out pretty well, only time will tell. I think they'll be pretty good...eventually.

YES YES YES...It usually takes about 3 weeks to get to gelling. At this juncture we have played a really tuff schedule. At this point last year we would have had them working on all cylinders. Now we are getting closer to working on more than not. I thought last week we would have gelled in cincy. Was not all bad but not all good. With caro, we got close again. This week I hope things are way way better. Next year will be a lot better. Everyone of them will have experience at their positions then.