NFL Refs Suspended

ringless

Reaction score
For back to back Monday night mishaps

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... k-mistake/

@Edwerderespn Ed Werder Retweeted ProFootballTalk
Had to send message with officiating errors in consecutive MNF games on decisive plays nearly letting wrong team win

This week was the second consecutive Monday night in which an official made a significant mistake late in a close game. The week before, an illegal bat penalty that should have been called on the Seahawks was overlooked, potentially costing the Lions the game.

Laloosh

Reaction score
No offense Ringless but all caps is well... yeah.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Ron Burgundy":1fuqz3go said:
Suspended with pay. So if you work for the NFL and screw up you get a week's paid vacation.

Seems like most Unions. But then again I live in a right to work state.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I take it the suspensions are coming down for the botched call on the Dez Bryant catch last year too? I mean... talk about implications.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Your subject heading is misleading. Says the NFL suspended the side judge in the recent Steelers-Chargers game. No "Refs" have been suspended.

No one was suspended "for back to back Monday night mishaps" as you said, either. That's bogus.

By making your topic heading plural, you're insinuating that Seahawks vs. Lions MNF game back judge Greg Wilson was suspended for not making a subjective call. Retired Official Gerry Austin, who brought it up following the game, admitted to the TV crew of Lewis, Dilfer and Young that it was plausible that the back judge could have decided the play was not worth throwing the flag for various reasons. That was the case. Wilson: "Not Overt."

Key word mentioned is "potentially" - which applies to every game which has not concluded and in which either team could still win. To say it potentially cost the Lions the game is intending to inject as much drama possible. This is a non-issue.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":15jn3wt0 said:
Your subject heading is misleading. Says the NFL suspended the side judge in the recent Steelers-Chargers game. No "Refs" have been suspended.

No one was suspended "for back to back Monday night mishaps" as you said, either. That's bogus.

By making your topic heading plural, you're insinuating that Seahawks vs. Lions MNF game back judge Greg Wilson was suspended for not making a subjective call. Retired Official Gerry Austin, who brought it up following the game, admitted to the TV crew of Lewis, Dilfer and Young that it was plausible that the back judge could have decided the play was not worth throwing the flag for various reasons. That was the case. Wilson: "Not Overt."

Key word mentioned is "potentially" - which applies to every game which has not concluded and in which either team could still win. To say it potentially cost the Lions the game is intending to inject as much drama possible. This is a non-issue.

I was just quoting a tweet and an article. The only reason this side judge was suspended was due to it sending a message because of what has occurred on back to back Monday nights correct or not. The whole point is to get one across. I understand some fans may be a little salty because the tweet and article almost insinuate that the Refs changed the outcome of the previous Mondays game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Laloosh":153nw8si said:
I take it the suspensions are coming down for the botched call on the Dez Bryant catch last year too? I mean... talk about implications.
How about the week before that in Dallas?

Or better yet XL*, where the whole crew should have been FIRED for that abortion of a game.

chris98251

Reaction score
From what I have read they are re assigning the guy that made the Clock error.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":375oruv8 said:
From what I have read they are re assigning the guy that made the Clock error.

So now he's going to be the gal that made the clock error? Seems a little harsh.

Rex

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3ipica1i said:
Laloosh":3ipica1i said:

Or better yet XL*, where the whole crew should have been FIRED for that abortion of a game.

XL was bad but XXXVI was worse.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rex":2816crpu said:
Sports Hernia":2816crpu said:
Laloosh":2816crpu said:

I disagree!

VFO

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1zhuokxc said:
Laloosh":1zhuokxc said:

Fired and likely investigated for conspiracy. No way was that game called as they saw it. That wasn't just the random bad call.

'Hawks were the better team and had the game gifted to stealers.

Rex

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":15us09bp said:
Rex":15us09bp said:
Sports Hernia":15us09bp said:
Laloosh":15us09bp said:

I disagree!

Well you're wrong. :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ringless":c0c5ccl2 said:
I understand some fans may be a little salty because the tweet and article almost insinuate that the Refs changed the outcome of the previous Mondays game.

:lol:

(I think this one of those painfully obvious things that as interlopers we're probably better off just not ever alluding to or talking about on this board. It's a thread derailer that just brings out the worst in fandom. Every team's fans got 'em).

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ringless":23ryj23z said:

Had to send message with officiating errors in consecutive MNF games on decisive plays nearly letting wrong team win

This week was the second consecutive Monday night in which an official made a significant mistake late in a close game. The week before, an illegal bat penalty that should have been called on the Seahawks was overlooked, potentially costing the Lions the game.

I would just like to add that the clock mistake if by far worse than what happened in our game. If your a lions fan CMON, you CANT blame the refs like really? Johnson just had to not fumble and you win most likely.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":32pejz2k said:
ringless":32pejz2k said:

I would just like to add that the clock mistake if by far worse than what happened in our game. If your a lions fan CMON, you CANT blame the refs like really? Johnson just had to not fumble and you win most likely.

I agree with that. I said in the discussion in the main forum Johnson never should have stuck the ball out and just let momentum do its thing. He fumbled in the first place and I think in regards to the judgement call it was clear nobody else was going to get the ball

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ My only point of contention is that what Johnson did is irrelevant. It's a what-if piled on top of a what-if to reach a desired conclusion. If we're doing that we might as well make Kam Chancellor hold out another week, or maybe he just loses his footing on the break, or we could have Michael Bennett get an offsides penalty again before the play even starts, or heck, let's give Golden Tate a personal foul on the previous play just for the heck of it or have the Lions LT hold on that play just for fun.

It's like saying that if a Steelers player hadn't run out of bounds earlier in the half those 18 seconds wouldn't have been there to begin wtih. Flipping switches to get to where you want pollutes the thought experiment into total uselessness.

WilsonMVP":gjx3ulvg said:
I would just like to add that the clock mistake if by far worse than what happened in our game.

I'm breaking my own rule, but that's an indefensible argument. The Steelers won. The "unfortunate" clock-run off swung their ultimate win probability by 0%. The "fortunate" non-call swung the Seahawks win probability by 70%. Even if the Steelers lost there's no way those 18 seconds swing the win probability by anywhere even remotely close to 70%, or even 50%, or 30%, or 20%.

As Bill Barnwell pointed out, that call increased the Seahawks' W/L record by .7 games for the season. It's seriously nearly as much as the expected final record swing predicted for Brady being allowed to play the first month of the season this year (. 78 wins). Basically that "fortunate" non-call for the Seahawks is almost equivalent to +4 games with Brady instead of Garropolo for the Patriots.

Long story short, if you want to minimize or brush it away, I think you're going about it the wrong way. ;) :th2thumbs:

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1zmkboyx said:
^^^ My only point of contention is that what Johnson did is irrelevant. It's a what-if piled on top of a what-if to reach a desired conclusion. If we're doing that we might as well make Kam Chancellor hold out another week, or maybe he just loses his footing on the break, or we could have Michael Bennett get an offsides penalty again before the play even starts, or heck, let's give Golden Tate a personal foul on the previous play just for the heck of it or have the Lions LT hold on that play just for fun.

It's like saying that if a Steelers player hadn't run out of bounds earlier in the half those 18 seconds wouldn't have been there to begin wtih. Flipping switches to get to where you want pollutes the thought experiment into total uselessness.

WilsonMVP":1zmkboyx said:
I would just like to add that the clock mistake if by far worse than what happened in our game.

I'm breaking my own rule, but that's an indefensible argument. The Steelers won. The "unfortunate" clock-run off swung their ultimate win probability by 0%. The "fortunate" non-call swung the Seahawks win probability by 70%. Even if the Steelers lost there's no way those 18 seconds swing the win probability by anywhere even remotely close to 70%, or even 50%, or 30%, or 20%.

As Bill Barnwell pointed out, that call increased the Seahawks' W/L record by .7 games for the season. It's seriously nearly as much as the expected final record swing predicted for Brady being allowed to play the first month of the season this year (. 78 wins). Basically that "fortunate" non-call for the Seahawks is almost equivalent to +4 games with Brady instead of Garropolo for the Patriots.

Long story short, if you want to minimize or brush it away, I think you're going about it the wrong way. ;) :th2thumbs:

How about this?

There are only two kinds of fans that actually give a shit about the Detroit call. Niner fans and Detroit fans. Let them stay up at night pacing in anger about it because it would have been the most ridiculous enforcement of a rule (a rule that allows for interpretation) that I've ever seen.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":2gsvdmj0 said:
How about this?

There are only two kinds of fans that actually give a shit about the Detroit call. Niner fans and Detroit fans. Let them stay up at night pacing in anger about it because it would have been the most ridiculous enforcement of a rule (a rule that allows for interpretation) that I've ever seen.

Uh, so you're saying 9ers fans care but Hawks fans don't care? Super bizarre, but okay.

The only people who actually care IMO are Hawks fans and Lions fans, and they're equally vociferous in their care.

Beyond those two groups of fans you just have a general consensus about the event among reporters, analysts, and NFL fans more broadly, but beyond "integrity of the game" stuff none of them really give a rat either.

I'm basically in that camp, although incredibly weakly so, as "integrity of the game" grandstanding and moralizing has never really moved me that much.

If anything, my (very limited) interest simply boils down to A) I happen to sometimes post on a board populated by one of the two fan groups who care and B) rationalization and justification processes are always inherently interesting to me.

FWIW only once have I substantively talked or posted about that call, and it was on this board in the Hawks forum. What I said was basically allegorical, and it was reflection on how after the Giants playoff game when the 9ers got away with a game changing non-call the majority of 9ers fans tried to talk it away any way they could, and that I always felt like 9ers fans shouldn't have bothered with those winners' sour grapes and should have just owned it and been grateful for being "fortunate", cuz hey, this stuff is unpredictable and unavoidable.

As I've said a ton of times before, I care probably too much about bad argumentation. If I just wanted to mouth breath and bash the Seahawks I wouldn't bother posting here.

EDIT: and yes, as I said to Ringless in my first post in this thread I think this is a topic best avoided as it's a thread de-railer, which has been born out. And in retrospect I shouldn't have "broken my own rule" in my second post in this thread either. I'll stop the mistake now. Happy to read your reply if you want to but this is my last post on the topic. :th2thumbs: