Jimmy Johnson says 49ers should get a new QB

Barakas

Reaction score
Wow....watching The OT on TV right now and Jimmy Johnson was asked what he would do if he was the coaching Kaepernick. He doesn't skip a beat and says, "I look for another quarterback is what I do."

The rest of the hosts can all be heard exhaling sharply at the comment and when the camera pans to them Michael Strahan is covering his face with his hand.

LOL...it was a truly awesome moment of TV

:49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JJ speaks the truth.It may hurt or be akward but too bad if pansies can't handle it.

OP
OP
Barakas

Barakas

Reaction score
Another fun JJ comment, "Terry, you look at every year...he's gone down, down, down since the first year"

OP
OP
Barakas

Barakas

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video. From Week 1 with Trent Dilfer to today with JJ....what a fall.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Lol seems like yesterday when Dilfer was talking up Kaep as the next Joe Montana.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3r4ln1tt said:
In before Marvin white knights for Kaep

When he sucks, I say so. The last two weeks, he's sucked. Bad. He isn't the only thing sucking on offense, but he certainly has sucked.

The offensive line is simply offensive. That's not to scapegoat Kap...two things can be equally true...but the line is in shambles. Those two pick sixes seem to have really broken him. He's standing in the pocket, trying to go through his progressions like he's been drilled to do, but he won't let the ball go. By the time he decides to run, it's too late.

At this point, it looks like the time he spent in Arizona has done more damage than good. He's missing passes he completed EASILY in 2012 and even 2013.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Wonder if the 9ers would take Bradford in a strait up swap?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1y3h9v1y said:
Lol seems like yesterday when Dilfer was talking up Kaep as the next Joe Montana.

Dilfer has shown he has no eye for QBs. Some highlights from the last six months, he said Rosen isn't that good, and Mariota won't make it in the NFL, unless he's able to sit for 2 years.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
After seeing him have so many good games I have a hard time saying he flat out sucks.

But holy crap I can't remember a QB staring down his first option the way Kaep does. Every time the ball is snapped he is already looking at the guy he's gonna throw to.

I also seem to remember Kaep doing more pump fakes in the past, either to open up a man downfield or help open up a big running lane for himself.

He needs to get back to the basics because he isn't doing much right now.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Agreed with Marvin that Kap has really had an atrocious past two games, but somehow that doesn't worry me as much as how atrocious the O-line play is. Devey at RG stands out in particular.

Not to put too fine a point on it, and Wilson is DEFINITELY the superior player, but he absolutely had weeks as bad as Kap's last twoo weeks last year too (dallas, oakland, SF. green bay).

I'll have a much better sense for how I feel about the team and where things are heading in two weeks from now after the Giants and Ravens games.

If the 9ers split those they'll be on pace for what I was expecting through the first half of the season (assuming they'll lose to the Seahawks three weeks from now).

If anything, despite the offense looking horrible, the Packers game wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Guys I've been hoping would show something turned out (Ward, Armstead, Lynch) and Mangini seemed to not actually be repeating his mistakes at least (e.g. the god awful three man rush; an over-reliance on shallow disguising of coverages and zone, etc.)

dukestar

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2kqlrg5n said:
Not to put too fine a point on it, and Wilson is DEFINITELY the superior player, but he absolutely had weeks as bad as Kap's last twoo weeks last year too (dallas, oakland, SF. green bay).
Wilson has never had games as bad as the last two that Kap has had. 2 consecutive pick 6's on 2 consecutive drives? Passer rating in the teens?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
dukestar":1zsnveih said:
Popeyejones":1zsnveih said:
Wilson has never had games as bad as the last two that Kap has had. 2 consecutive pick 6's on 2 consecutive drives? Passer rating in the teens?

There's really no upside in debating this and it's entirely beside the point (which I'll state really clearly below), but by any measure Kap's really putrid game yesterday was better than Wilson's week 5 game against the Cowboys last year.

That said, on the other hand, you're right that Kap's four pick, 47% completion game two weeks ago was objectively worse than Wilson's four pick, 48% completion NFCCG from last year, but for both of these games I think we're basically splitting hairs.

WHAT MY POINT WAS (in three steps :D )

1) Kap has undeniably played like absolute total crap the past two weeks.

2) That said, tthere are QBs who at their baseline are superior QBs to him and have also played this poorly.

3) Because of that, while acknowledging how atrocious he has been this past two weeks, I'm withholding judgement until after two weeks from now. The last three weeks the 9ers have just been outclassed by superior teams. Kaepernick's putrid play is part of that, but not all of that (e.g. he had 400 yards, two TDs, and no turnovers against Pitt while completing 72% of his passes, and the 9ers still lost by 25 :lol: ). As a bad team, I want to see how the 9ers as a team (kap included) play against average teams (Giants and Ravens) before passing any judgement about what they should be doing at any position, QB included.

That's all I meant.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Great QBs historically have a bad game here and there. Manning once had a 3 game stretch in Indy, and not at the beginning of his career either, where he had 10 or 11 picks in 3 games.
But he didn't look lost sucking it up.

Kaep looks lost. And because the other 10 guys don't know what Kaep is going to do, they look even worse than they are.